oneBoro Forum

The Chattybox.

Dreamweaver was always the tool of choice for me. If you don't want to subscribe there is expression web 4 for windows. It's a Microsoft programming that has been discontinued but still very good.

With a bit of coding knowledge you can do good stuff with WordPress.

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy New Year guys.🥳🥳🥳

Well...it finally happened... I guess it was only ever a matter of time. Enough forumites have liked him that he has finally taken on his true form...the demon known to religious scholars a

Have a great Christmas fellas. Hope Santa makes all of your dreams come true, (apart from beating us again) 🤣 Us, you, and the Barcodes next season eh?👍👍👍

Posted Images

Won't let me quote reply for some reason... but the only type of web design i've done so far is simple drag and drop. I know some very basic coding. To be honest I'm still not sure how I bagged the job as I've only ever designed two or three sites and they were quite simple but hey ho, I'm two weeks in now and have settled well and enjoying it! I'm quite savvy with computers so have got used to the system they use which is called Mono?

Mobirise looks the best bet out of that review article. If any of you have done freelance web design before, how does it work i.e. paying for hosting/domains?

I can probably provide some pointers regarding the backend stuff. I've not had a great deal of experience designing beyond messing about with HTML and CSS. But I was working as a backend Web Developer for 2 years until about 6 months ago.

Just had my first week as a Junior Games Developer. Absolutely chuffed to bits to move into this industry. Don't think I've ever been so happy going to work as I have this week.

The current free IDE from Microsoft is called Microsoft Code. It runs on lots of different platforms not just windows.

https://code.visualstudio.com

www.asp.net site has lots of getting started for the Microsoft technology Stack.

If you are talking about web design as in visual design (pretty pictures of what the site should look like when done) then adobe Photoshop, or Sketch https://www.sketchapp.com are used by the designers at my work.

Also balsamic is used for wireframing so you can agree on page layouts quickly without spending too much time on the aesthetics and instead getting the information flow / priority figured out first. https://balsamiq.com

Key words to look for tutorials:

User Experience Design or UX or UE

Web Visual Design

Interaction Design

Responsive Web Design (taking a site for desktop and making it able to scale down to phone size screen and still look good, without writing two versions of the same site for desktop vs mobile)

Sublime or Atom are also really strong text editors with syntax highlighting if you don't want to use the Microsoft stack.

If you are serious about learning I highly recommend investing some money in a subscription to Pluralsight. They have hundreds of courses on both design and development as well as other IT based courses.

Regardless of Microsoft or not invest time learning HTML 5 and ECMAscript 2015 (the current JavaScript standards available in mainstream browsers today). If you are doing styling then LESS and SASS languages are now used to make stylesheets more modular and these 2 tools generate CSS classes.

Twitter's Bootstrap styles get a lot of play as it has a lot of nice CSS already pre-built which can be good for learning.

If you are interested in something other than the Microsoft stack a few current highly rated frameworks for JavaScript web app development are:

Angular 2.0

Aurelia

ReactJS

With support from other minor tools such as Gulp, Grunt, Yeoman, NodeJS, NPM and JSPM.

Give us a bit more specific info on what you are wanting to do and I'll do my best to provide you info.

I'm just about to graduate with a master's in CS, absolutely hated web dev when I did it though. Only thing I can recommend, as mentioned by SiC above, is you should definitely be getting on that HTML 5 hype.

Smoggie_in_Canada has done a great job of answering the main gist of your post and s/he might even have rekindled my own interest in certain dark arts. :)

There is this, though:

Won't let me quote reply for some reason...

It's not exactly intuitive, since there is a Quote button there, but it's the Reply button you need if you want to do what I have just done i.e. quote from your post.

SiC, the current software we're using is called Mono Solutions - https://www.monosolutions.com it's drag and drop with the option for backend coding but it's very easy to stay clear of that and still produce a quality design.

Basically something similar to that would be best for me. I think the likes of Wix, Weebly etc. are probably my best options but have been looking at their plans and it seems there's a limit on how many websites you can actually have - which doesn't seem to be the case with Mono.

Apologies for not providing a wealth of info but as I've said I'm still fairly new to this and have kind of fell into the position but I'm really enjoying it. Kind of wish I studied it at uni now!

Not sure if it's relevant but Wordpress has by far the nicest CMS and back end for websites that I've ever used. The easiest to make changes in & create nice looking websites.

Quite a beginner level thing though & not as technical as writing yer own code like.