oneBoro Forum

The Chattybox.

16 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Can't see past New Zealand winning this one. 

Think England and Wales are probably then the next best shot. South Africa are a team who can always cause problems, but don't think they are anywhere near where they used to be.

Aussies are hit and miss and have started this cup in that vein. Almost losing to Fiji (who lost to part timers Uruguay).

Ireland seem to have lost their way just at the wrong time. The lineout has gone to pot and big players are not performing. 

I really hope that the rest of the rugby world share your opinion on Ireland Dan. I don’t know how a team who have just become number one in the world for the first time ever can be deemed to have “lost their way”

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy New Year guys.🥳🥳🥳

Well...it finally happened... I guess it was only ever a matter of time. Enough forumites have liked him that he has finally taken on his true form...the demon known to religious scholars a

Have a great Christmas fellas. Hope Santa makes all of your dreams come true, (apart from beating us again) 🤣 Us, you, and the Barcodes next season eh?👍👍👍

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Blanco said:

I really hope that the rest of the rugby world share your opinion on Ireland Dan. I don’t know how a team who have just become number one in the world for the first time ever can be deemed to have “lost their way”

Did you watch the game against England?

1 hour ago, Blanco said:

I don’t know how a team who have just become number one in the world for the first time ever can be deemed to have “lost their way”

The world rugby rankings are pretty dire to be honest. The last 6 nations Ireland weren't particularly slick. The subsequent warm up games the same could be said. Against England, Ireland barely showed up and the Irish lineout certainly had a day off. I will hold my hands up and say they did manage to do the double over the Welsh team, which is a very good set of results. 

First game this world cup they beat a very weak Scottish team. And admittedly were very good in defence. But I still stand by what I said, Murray and Sexton are not at the level they were 12-18 months ago. 

I think that for the first World Cup in a long time Ireland are peaking at the right time. Yes I did see the game against England and it did worry me at the time but it did come during a very heavy pre-season almost so I think it can be forgiven. As I said I hope the rugby fraternity think the same as you. Write Ireland off at your peril. 
I should qualify the above by saying that it is a game of opinions and I could be way off the mark but I don’t think that I am. I guess time will tell

1 minute ago, Blanco said:

I think that for the first World Cup in a long time Ireland are peaking at the right time. Yes I did see the game against England and it did worry me at the time but it did come during a very heavy pre-season almost so I think it can be forgiven. As I said I hope the rugby fraternity think the same as you. Write Ireland off at your peril. 
I should qualify the above by saying that it is a game of opinions and I could be way off the mark but I don’t think that I am. I guess time will tell

Last bit is exactly spot on! It's my opinion that I have seen a slight decline in the Irish team over the last 12 months. You are right that it is as open as it has ever been. But the AB's look very strong as usual. 

I see quite a bit of the Irish as I have a close friend (From Drogheda) who lives over here, so we often watch the 6 nations together. Was even over at the Aviva when the Fijians gave the Irish a scare a few years back.

• Like 1

To be honest I think Ireland are beginning to find their form again now. I thought they had peaked last year with New Zealand. I think the 2 Welsh results and Scotland shows they might just be coming back into form. I think squad depth is generally Irelands problem if they suffer a few injuries although that seems to have improved since the last world cup. The win over Scotland probably means they avoid New Zealand in the quarter final as well. I'm being optimistic but I think there will be 2 home nations teams in the semis possibly 3 if England and Wales win their groups.

• Like 1

If my predictions are correct, the quarter finals will look like this.

England vs Australia

Wales vs France

Ireland vs South Africa

New Zealand vs Scotland/Japan*

*Can't decide who will finish 2 in Pool A. Head says Scotland, but would love to see the Cherry Blossoms come 2nd.