oneBoro Forum

The Chattybox.

12 hours ago, Will said:

Couldn’t disagree more. Lots of domestic abuse cases are stalled because victims withdraw their statements, you have to remember that lots of domestic abuse stems from one partner controlling or wanting to control the other. He felt the need at the time to call the police. The police (and subsequently the CPS) made the decision to prosecute based on what he originally said and what they saw at the scene. It’s their job to protect victims and get justice. 

It’s terribly sad that she felt this was the only way out and my heart goes out to her friends, family and her boyfriend but I don’t think it was wrong to pursue prosecution against someone the police and CPS believed committed a serious assault.

From what I have since read, the CPS weren't going to prosecute but the police pushed for it, because they were aware they had a bad reputation on domestic abuse convictions & trials. 

Still sounds to me like they were just trying to make an example of her, whether it was the CPS or the police.

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy New Year guys.🥳🥳🥳

Well...it finally happened... I guess it was only ever a matter of time. Enough forumites have liked him that he has finally taken on his true form...the demon known to religious scholars a

Have a great Christmas fellas. Hope Santa makes all of your dreams come true, (apart from beating us again) 🤣 Us, you, and the Barcodes next season eh?👍👍👍

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Brunners said:

From what I have since read, the CPS weren't going to prosecute but the police pushed for it, because they were aware they had a bad reputation on domestic abuse convictions & trials. 

Still sounds to me like they were just trying to make an example of her, whether it was the CPS or the police.

The alleged pictures from the scene (which match pictures she posted of her flat on instagram) are pretty gruesome. If she came away from the whole thing with no injuries then it's a hell of a lot of blood to come from one person. I think there's a public interest in pursuing a prosecution in that case and I think you (and eveybody else criticising the police) would too if the sex of the two involved were reversed.

1 hour ago, Will said:

The alleged pictures from the scene (which match pictures she posted of her flat on instagram) are pretty gruesome. If she came away from the whole thing with no injuries then it's a hell of a lot of blood to come from one person. I think there's a public interest in pursuing a prosecution in that case and I think you (and eveybody else criticising the police) would too if the sex of the two involved were reversed.

If the CPS don't want to prosecute and are pushed into it by the Police I would say the same thing I am saying now; that is sketch. The CPS clearly didn't think they had a decent case, which suggests it's not as cut and dry as people seem to want to believe.

From memory though I don't think she did come away with it with no injuries, I think she broke a bottle and got cut too, although there's a chance I may be conflating two incidents.

Either way, I just think it's sketch for the police to pressure for a prosecution when even the CPS themselves would rather not.

I'm not saying she did or didn't do it; and I'm not arguing that victims don't withdraw their allegations and stuff - I just am of the personal belief that had she not been famous, the police would have dropped it and she'd probably still be alive today. That is just my personal opinion on the matter.

26 minutes ago, Brunners said:

If the CPS don't want to prosecute and are pushed into it by the Police I would say the same thing I am saying now; that is sketch. The CPS clearly didn't think they had a decent case, which suggests it's not as cut and dry as people seem to want to believe.

From memory though I don't think she did come away with it with no injuries, I think she broke a bottle and got cut too, although there's a chance I may be conflating two incidents.

Either way, I just think it's sketch for the police to pressure for a prosecution when even the CPS themselves would rather not.

I'm not saying she did or didn't do it; and I'm not arguing that victims don't withdraw their allegations and stuff - I just am of the personal belief that had she not been famous, the police would have dropped it and she'd probably still be alive today. That is just my personal opinion on the matter.

The CPS’s statement on the matter seems to suggest they were very much still in support of the trial and prosecution and from what I’ve seen it’s been backed by independent lawyers who have worked in the field of abuse cases.

The police always work with the CPS and present a case to them that they believe someone should stand trial. The CPS then decides if there is a good chance of prosecution and if it is in the public interest to prosecute. Only if both of those answers are yes does it go to trial. I’m not sure how much pressure the police can exert on the CPS as they have a final say on these matters.

I also don’t think the possibility of someone killing themselves should ever effect the decision of whether to go to trial or not, otherwise it would become a very easy way to get off what are pretty serious charges.

6 minutes ago, Brunners said:

That final bit isn't really the point I was making.

I don't think this goes to trial if she's not Caroline Flack.

It absolutely does in my opinion. In fact a friend who works in the police says it’s standard practice now due to the amount of people who used to retract statements.

7 minutes ago, Will said:

It absolutely does in my opinion. In fact a friend who works in the police says it’s standard practice now due to the amount of people who used to retract statements.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree then mate. Enjoyed the debate though!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Will said:

Spot on in my humble opinion too.

The Police have a recording of the 999 call (naturally) they then also have pictures and also Police Body Cam footage that absolutely corresponds to the original call.

The Police get absolutely slated for being lax on domestic abuse in the past and rightly so. Then when they press ahead with a prosecution they get slated for that too.

We as a society are demanding that action is taken against any form of domestic abuse, yet when it suits are happy to turn a blind eye.

• Like 1

I will add that now it seems like the police pushed ahead despite knowing the blood at the scene was Caroline Flacks as she cut herself and not actually her boyfriends.

I'm yet to see anything to change my mind that she wouldn't have been prosecuted if she wasn't famous.

10 minutes ago, Brunners said:

I will add that now it seems like the police pushed ahead despite knowing the blood at the scene was Caroline Flacks as she cut herself and not actually her boyfriends.

I'm yet to see anything to change my mind that she wouldn't have been prosecuted if she wasn't famous.

There’s loads of conjecture and gaps that need filling in (for me) to make an informed judgment. 
However we now have a girl who was in such a dark place the only plausible way out was taking her own life. All the celebrities that say how wonderful and special and loved she was, but when she really needed a friend she could find one. So saddening 

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Uwe said:

There’s loads of conjecture and gaps that need filling in (for me) to make an informed judgment. 
However we now have a girl who was in such a dark place the only plausible way out was taking her own life. All the celebrities that say how wonderful and special and loved she was, but when she really needed a friend she could find one. So saddening 

I think she actually had a friend staying with her; the friend popped out to the shops and she did what she did 😞

• Sad 2
1 hour ago, Brunners said:

I've seen this in her personal statement, however obviously because of the sad situation that has unfolded since last weekend there is no chance of trying to come to the truth in a court so it remains very much unconfirmed.

If what she says in the statement is true it makes you wonder why the boyfriend called the police and made his original statement which caused them to charge her.

1 hour ago, Will said:

I've seen this in her personal statement, however obviously because of the sad situation that has unfolded since last weekend there is no chance of trying to come to the truth in a court so it remains very much unconfirmed.

If what she says in the statement is true it makes you wonder why the boyfriend called the police and made his original statement which caused them to charge her.

I have no idea; something did obviously happen that panicked him enough to ring them, but I guess at this point we won't ever find out what really happened - unless Lewis decides to talk openly about it.

Although I am curious - he supposedly wasn't in favour of them pressing charges and wanted it dropped/withdrawn. If it had gone to trial, could he have defended Caroline Flack in any way? One for any lawyer-y types out there.

27 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Tyson Fury has just absolutely destroyed Deontay Wilder.

Wilder's corner forced to throw the towel in, one of the most one sided fights you'll see despite it going to round 7.

The best performance I've seen from a British heavyweight, awesome!