oneBoro Forum

The Chattybox.

16 minutes ago, Blanco said:

I agree with him on the first bit. Any vote after the poll closed should not count end of. They had weeks to get them in. 

no votes are counted that are posted after election day. Votes ARRIVE after election day, but if they're post marked before hand they're still valid. The USPS has been intentionally slowing down mail for this exact reason.

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy New Year guys.🥳🥳🥳

Well...it finally happened... I guess it was only ever a matter of time. Enough forumites have liked him that he has finally taken on his true form...the demon known to religious scholars a

Have a great Christmas fellas. Hope Santa makes all of your dreams come true, (apart from beating us again) 🤣 Us, you, and the Barcodes next season eh?👍👍👍

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Brunners said:

no votes are counted that are posted after election day. Votes ARRIVE after election day, but if they're post marked before hand they're still valid. The USPS has been intentionally slowing down mail for this exact reason.

I’m not a Trump fan in any way Brunners but votes not in before end of polls should not count. It’s the same as the transfer window, if the paperwork doesn’t arrive on time, it’s too late. I’ve no sympathy for any of this stuff. The time is the time 

52 minutes ago, Blanco said:

I’m not a Trump fan in any way Brunners but votes not in before end of polls should not count.

No votes that were made after the polls closed are being counted. That's not how the system works. 

What is happening like @Brunners has said, is any mail in or absentee votes made before the close of the polls are being counted, as long as they are postmarked on or before the deadline. 

For what it's worth, waiting for a complete picture of votes has always taken at least 2 weeks in the US (as in 100% of all legitimate votes being counted). Results can are often declared sooner,  for obvious reasons like one candidate having too wide a margin etc.

1 hour ago, Blanco said:

I’m not a Trump fan in any way Brunners but votes not in before end of polls should not count. It’s the same as the transfer window, if the paperwork doesn’t arrive on time, it’s too late. I’ve no sympathy for any of this stuff. The time is the time 

They have absolutely no control over the post, mate. DJT and co have gone hard after the USPS to make as many ballots as possible slow or late to arrive for EXACTLY the reason you're trying to describe.

These votes AREN'T late. These voters held up their end of the bargain. If you're stood in line when voting ends, you still get to vote. Same thing there.

The reason it's so stupid this time round is because the American election system is built on the idea of concession, they've never had an election where both parties refuse to concede at all.

In the UK, the postal votes have to be delivered before the election closes. If you dont get it posted in time, you can take it to the polling station. I have no problem with this system.

However...

The key point is that whatever rules you have about postal votes, they have to be decided and sorted out long before the election. You can't turn around afterwards and start changing the rules. The US states had already decided before the election that votes that were posted by election day had to be counted. Therefore those are the rules they have to go by. They can change the rules for 2024 if they want, but not retrospectively.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, boro-unger said:

In the UK, the postal votes have to be delivered before the election closes. If you dont get it posted in time, you can take it to the polling station. I have no problem with this system.

However...

The key point is that whatever rules you have about postal votes, they have to be decided and sorted out long before the election. You can't turn around afterwards and start changing the rules. The US states had already decided before the election that votes that were posted by election day had to be counted. Therefore those are the rules they have to go by. They can change the rules for 2024 if they want, but not retrospectively.

Agreed.

Plus; had they not sabotaged the postal system they wouldn't have so many late arriving ballots 🙂 they've manufactured a problem so they can cry foul about it after.

• Like 1

Sounds like a load of crap to me. Get your vote in on time. It’s not difficult. Postmarked votes less than a week before the polls should not be involved. Post in a week before or go to the polls. Not rocket science 

2 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Sounds like a load of crap to me. Get your vote in on time. It’s not difficult. Postmarked votes less than a week before the polls should not be involved. Post in a week before or go to the polls. Not rocket science 

If they are postmarked on or before the deadline they are on time.

The polls close at a set time, regardless of what method you vote, if you have done it before that time then it is on time.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Rules are rules mate.

35 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

If they are postmarked on or before the deadline they are on time.

The polls close at a set time, regardless of what method you vote, if you have done it before that time then it is on time.

I can fully understand how this can be abused. There must be a million postmen who could postmark any amount of votes in the USA. No wonder it is open to challenge in a tight call

6 minutes ago, Blanco said:

I can fully understand how this can be abused. There must be a million postmen who could postmark any amount of votes in the USA. No wonder it is open to challenge in a tight call

That's the important word in all this. It can be abused, but as of this moment there is zero evidence of widespread systematic abuse of the postal vote system. Despite the factually incorrect reports that dead people are being added to ballots or that states have a higher number of votes than people are eligible to vote in the state.

It is a system that is reliant on human involvement, so there is room that it could possibly be abused, but at a localised, individual level. As you say all it takes is 1 postman to "misplace" a sack of postal ballot. But again at this stage there is no evidence that this has taken place on a widespread scale.

8 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

That's the important word in all this. It can be abused, but as of this moment there is zero evidence of widespread systematic abuse of the postal vote system. Despite the factually incorrect reports that dead people are being added to ballots or that states have a higher number of votes than people are eligible to vote in the state.

It is a system that is reliant on human involvement, so there is room that it could possibly be abused, but at a localised, individual level. As you say all it takes is 1 postman to "misplace" a sack of postal ballot. But again at this stage there is no evidence that this has taken place on a widespread scale.

I never claimed that it was being abused only that it could be abused. It leaves itself wide open for challenge in a tight call. Postal votes should have to be in before polling day or they should not count IMO

1 minute ago, Blanco said:

I never claimed that it was being abused only that it could be abused. It leaves itself wide open for challenge in a tight call. Postal votes should have to be in before polling day or they should not count IMO

I know you didn't, but I haven't claimed in my post that you did. Just merely agreeing that it could be abused.

I believe most states do have a rule that if the margin of victory is 1% or less then the loser can ask for a recount. Which in my opinion is perfectly acceptable, as the counting system is reliant on humans and as we know human error does play a part.

As far as I am aware most US states have created legislation to protect postal votes that were legitimately cast before the close of the polls, but have arrived late, due to delays in the postal service. So they are following their own rules in that regard, so I honestly do not see why people have an issue with that. What Trump is suggesting is that they only count votes received by a certain arbitrary time, which goes against legislation created pre-election.