Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy New Year guys.🥳🥳🥳

Well...it finally happened... I guess it was only ever a matter of time. Enough forumites have liked him that he has finally taken on his true form...the demon known to religious scholars a

Have a great Christmas fellas. Hope Santa makes all of your dreams come true, (apart from beating us again) 🤣 Us, you, and the Barcodes next season eh?👍👍👍

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

And now sad news about Charlie Watts as well.  That's a couple of proper music legends gone in the last few days.  RIP.

And yet somehow, Keith Richards is still alive.

Cocaine is a helluva drug.

• Haha 2

Brian Jones went first ..  actually the group's founder and the one who chose the name originally, but that was 1969 so many people have forgotten that he was ever involved with the band. Allegedly one of the people they considered as his replacement was Paul Kossoff, so if he had been chosen, would probably have been a very different Free. 

• Like 3
42 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Yes he was one hell of a drummer. 

Without wanting to come across as a bit of a ***, or being disrespectful to the dead, he was an 80 year old drummer. The Stones could replace him with pretty much any drummer out there and you wouldn't know the difference if you were blindfolded.

• Haha 1

Yup..  and you could replace Messi with McNair and you wouldn't know the difference if you were blindfolded 🙂 ..  you aren't being disrespectful, just expressing your point of view, but there are drummers, good drummers and elite drummers and even at eighty, he was regarded by others in the profession as "the man"..  times do change, but would be interested to know who people regard as being comparable amongst the younger lads   

• Like 1
Just now, Old Codger said:

Yup..  and you could replace Messi with McNair and you wouldn't know the difference if you were blindfolded 🙂 ..  you aren't being disrespectful, just expressing your point of view, but there are drummers, good drummers and elite drummers and even at eighty, he was regarded by others in the profession as "the man"..  times do change, but would be interested to know who people regard as being comparable amongst the younger lads   

It's not like playing guitar though for instance, drumming is drumming and there aren't that many drummers with a distinctive "sound" as it were. 

I can think of two off the top of my head, Joey Jordison (RIP) and Stephen Morrris (though in Joy Division that was more down to Martin Hannett engineering that particular sound.)

Don't ask me about more modern drummers, I haven't got a clue.

I think you might have hit the nail on the head there,  with the modern technology available, sound engineers could probably make anybody sound good..  progress I suppose.. grew up hearing people like Baker, Bonham, Powell, Nelson and there is definitely, as in the case of guitarists, those who are/were good and those who can be made to sound good.  thanks for answering re "new" drummers  

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Old Codger said:

I think you might have hit the nail on the head there,  with the modern technology available, sound engineers could probably make anybody sound good..  progress I suppose.. grew up hearing people like Baker, Bonham, Powell, Nelson and there is definitely, as in the case of guitarists, those who are/were good and those who can be made to sound good.  thanks for answering re "new" drummers  

I would list Moon, Starr, Baker, Watts, Purdey, 

24 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

It's not like playing guitar though for instance, drumming is drumming and there aren't that many drummers with a distinctive "sound" as it were. 

I can think of two off the top of my head, Joey Jordison (RIP) and Stephen Morrris (though in Joy Division that was more down to Martin Hannett engineering that particular sound.)

Don't ask me about more modern drummers, I haven't got a clue.

Oh mate drumming is a real art, listen to some Cream with Ginger Baker on drums, or some of the Motown tracks that Bernard Purdy played on. A good rock drummer can impress his own personality on a track and that’s before we even get into Jazz. Watts was a great drummer. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

I would list Moon, Starr, Baker, Watts, Purdey, 

Oh mate drumming is a real art, listen to some Cream with Ginger Baker on drums, or some of the Motown tracks that Bernard Purdy played on. A good rock drummer can impress his own personality on a track and that’s before we even get into Jazz. Watts was a great drummer. 

You've got to agree though, that drumming is more "technical" than anything, a guitarist can play in a certain style, can mess with tone and pitch and be creative, but a drummer's (without an engineer) creativity is limited to the pace at which they play, or their cadence. Rock drummers are ten a penny because most rock bands don't have a progressive drum sound.

quite true in most cases..  the really good ones, you just have to say the surname and people know who you are talking about, but maybe it is one of those things that is subjective, like all music, one of those subjects where personal preferences make a huge difference 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

You've got to agree though, that drumming is more "technical" than anything, a guitarist can play in a certain style, can mess with tone and pitch and be creative, but a drummer's (without an engineer) creativity is limited to the pace at which they play, or their cadence. Rock drummers are ten a penny because most rock bands don't have a progressive drum sound.

I can’t agree with that. A band is the sum of its parts, each are just as important as each other. To use football parlance is a defender less important than a midfielder, a striker of more use to the team than a goalkeeper, of course not. I’m not a member of the drummers union, I’ve played guitar, bass and sang in bands, I’ve turned up to rehearsals with a sheaf of papers with chords and lyrics on them, once the drums kick in, the sound is made. 

• Like 1

As a musician I would say, apart from the singer, a drummer might be the most unique member for his band's sound. Especially in jazz, metal and other genres where the drummer plays on more than the one and three counts .. 

Check Gene Hoglan (the atomic clock), Vinnie Paul, Dave Lombardo, Nicko Mc-Brain, Clive Burr .. That's just five drummers off the top of my head, which have a very unique playing style, that shows in the music.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1