oneBoro Forum

The Chattybox.

On 8/24/2021 at 10:56 PM, Denzel Zanzibar said:

You've got to agree though, that drumming is more "technical" than anything, a guitarist can play in a certain style, can mess with tone and pitch and be creative, but a drummer's (without an engineer) creativity is limited to the pace at which they play, or their cadence. Rock drummers are ten a penny because most rock bands don't have a progressive drum sound.

Mike Portnoy and Mike Mangini are just two who would disagree with you. Neil Peart also would, were he still with us.

Led Zeppelin considered John Bonham so important to their sound that they split after his death (though his lad has since proven he's a chip off the old block).

I can't think you've listened to much rock music, or at least read or watched many documentaries. There was recently a great one hosted by Stewart Copeland (former drummer with the Police) where he basically went through the entire history of rock drumming, from 50s rock n' roll, motown etc. to the present time.

Good drummers of any genre (including rock and metal) often listen to and are influenced by other genres and incorporate those styles into their playing.

As well as the speed & cadence they play with, there is also the force they hit with, whether they use sticks or those brushes. Even where they hit the drums changes the sound...hitting the edge produces a different sound to hitting the middle.

Last but not least, as many great musicians will tell you, it as much about what you don't play (giving the rest of the band room to stand out) as what you do play.

Edited by AnglianRed
  • Like 2
  • Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy New Year guys.🥳🥳🥳

Well...it finally happened... I guess it was only ever a matter of time. Enough forumites have liked him that he has finally taken on his true form...the demon known to religious scholars a

Have a great Christmas fellas. Hope Santa makes all of your dreams come true, (apart from beating us again) 🤣 Us, you, and the Barcodes next season eh?👍👍👍

Posted Images

On 8/24/2021 at 6:59 PM, Denzel Zanzibar said:

And yet somehow, Keith Richards is still alive.

Cocaine is a helluva drug.

Either results in your early demise or makes you immortal... 😮

This has been very interesting and informative (for me, anyway)..  Thanks to everyone for their input... As a non-player (not much demand for rock triangle), I sort of realised that a good drummer was a great asset, but I grew up in an era where musicians played more than machines and the running joke was that the drummer would do a 15 minute solo while the rest of the band had a breather or a quick stimulant 🙂  think DZ is of  an era that machines play a larger part, so I sort of see where he is coming from. can't imagine stuff like "Dance with the Devil" or "Let there be Drums" making any impression now as people would just assume it was a computer rather than a musician. 

• Like 1

Probably another daft question but a thought with regard to the Carolina Reaper stuff being posted ..  why do people like stuff that burns a hole in your guts ...  surely food enjoyment is about pleasure not pain?

6 minutes ago, Old Codger said:

Probably another daft question but a thought with regard to the Carolina Reaper stuff being posted ..  why do people like stuff that burns a hole in your guts ...  surely food enjoyment is about pleasure not pain?

For some people, it's both

• Like 1
On 8/31/2021 at 12:03 PM, Old Codger said:

I think mainly its for people that like doing daft challenges. The US definitely has a culture where lots of restaurants, diners etc. have food challenges involving ridiculously hot chicken wings, burgers and even sushi.

Usually if you beat the challenge you win a t-shirt, photo on their wall of fame or something.

Although some people just have asbestos mouths and stomachs and genuinely like eating super-hot stuff.

Used to love this show...and not just because of Adam's suffering...

1 minute ago, AnglianRed said:

I think mainly its for people that like doing daft challenges. The US definitely has a culture where lots of restaurants, diners etc. have food challenges involving ridiculously hot chicken wings, burgers and even sushi.

Usually if you beat the challenge you win a t-shirt, photo on their wall of fame or something.

Although some people just have asbestos mouths and stomachs and genuinely like eating super-hot stuff.

Used to love this show...and not just because of Adam's suffering...

Have you heard of/ever watched Hot Ones? Youtube show where guests have to answer questions while eating wings coated in progressively hotter sauces on the Scoville scale. Started out with barely heard of hip hop artists and got so popular that it now regularly features A-Listers like Paul Rudd, Natalie Portman, Ashton Kutcher, etc. They even (after a LOT of fans pestering them) got Gordon Ramsay on the show!

It's brilliant and addictive, and the questions aren't your usual celebrity interview questions, they really do their research.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Have you heard of/ever watched Hot Ones? Youtube show where guests have to answer questions while eating wings coated in progressively hotter sauces on the Scoville scale. Started out with barely heard of hip hop artists and got so popular that it now regularly features A-Listers like Paul Rudd, Natalie Portman, Ashton Kutcher, etc. They even (after a LOT of fans pestering them) got Gordon Ramsay on the show!

It's brilliant and addictive, and the questions aren't your usual celebrity interview questions, they really do their research.

Yeah I've seen a few episodes of that...including the Gordon Ramsay one. That one was hilarious...he really doesn't like spicy food! Also saw the ones with Chris Jericho and Adam Richman.

I was actually tempted to buy a set of sauces, just to try them. The milder ones sound really nice.

my late wife used to love it too, came across as a decent fella, no "look at me, aren't I great". Remember a few where they showed him failing challenges, so never sure of outcome. She was from California and said that a lot of restaurants used the challenges for publicity when starting out as competition so fierce that you had to be "different" in some way.  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Congrats to Emma Raducanu - the new US Open champion.

Did anyone else catch the final last night?

I can't claim to be an avid tennis watcher...usually get my annual fix by watching Wimbledon. But that was some of the best tennis I've ever seen - either men's or women's. Some amazing rallies and outrageous winners.

Raducanu is the first British female US winner since Virginia Wade. The youngest in around 30 years and the first qualifier to win a Grand Slam in history.

Fair play to her opponent - Fernandez did not make it easy for her. It was a hard fought, back and forth match. I have a feeling these two will be fierce rivals for many years to come.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/58533341

• Like 1