oneBoro Forum

The Chattybox.

It's always amazed me that the Riverside Stadium has such poor transport infrastructure. I tried to walk there from the train station a few seasons back at night, and all the street lighting was off. It was literally pitch black, not even moonlight to show the way, and I along with everyone else was stumbling along that series of streets (Vulcan St? Scott Road? I'm not sure of their names) towards the stadium. It was a horrible experience, and I've never gone that way since.

The underpass is totally clogged and involves walking over a train line past what look like derelict yards, trying to walk through the McDonalds complex is just chaos... It all creates a really poor impression, however you come and go. My wife went there once, hated the whole experience, and never went back. I wonder how many other people have been deterred in a similar way. I love the Riverside as a stadium, but it's a pretty unappealing place to get to and from.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy New Year guys.🥳🥳🥳

Well...it finally happened... I guess it was only ever a matter of time. Enough forumites have liked him that he has finally taken on his true form...the demon known to religious scholars a

Have a great Christmas fellas. Hope Santa makes all of your dreams come true, (apart from beating us again) 🤣 Us, you, and the Barcodes next season eh?👍👍👍

Posted Images

Never understood why some sort of Park and Ride system hasn't been implemented would be simple enough to run a few buses from Skippers Lane and Teesside Park and use all the parking spaces, at least for evening games..  or even a couple of trains to Cargo Fleet (if still open). Money to be made if the initiative is shown.  

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Old Codger said:

Never understood why some sort of Park and Ride system hasn't been implemented would be simple enough to run a few buses from Skippers Lane and Teesside Park and use all the parking spaces, at least for evening games..  or even a couple of trains to Cargo Fleet (if still open). Money to be made if the initiative is shown.  

I doubt people would want to use a park and ride as most want the comfort and relaxation of their own vehicle plus the ability to get straight home after a game. It may however have some attraction and even if it was for only a minority if it can take a hundred or so cars from the surrounding area it's an improvement.

Marked parking bays cut out from the grass verges alongside access roads may help to tidy up parking and permit more cars to fit in and reduce the clogging of roads. The recent example of the empty ghost Sainsbury car park is a good example of space being available in the area and viable but nobody was prepared to invest in it and still aren't but they like to wring their hands in despair and point fingers at the customers.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Not so much on purpose, but it's the same sort of madness that makes councils dig up perfectly good roads in March to spend all their annual budgets. If they don't, they're deemed to have been given too much cash in the previous year, and their budget for the next year will be cut.

I'd like to think the pandemic would have caused a rethink about airlines and airports retaining existing departure slots, but clearly the aviation industry reacts more slowly than other sectors.

2 hours ago, PompeySmog said:

Hope anyone going to Manchester and staying has digs sorted.  Stayed in Salford this Friday whilst dropping youngest at Uni, £43 for a budget hotel, same hotel on Fri 4th is £187, madness that!!

Classic supply and demand economics, unfortunately. It's the same in Edinburgh between the end of July and the beginning of August (Fringe season), or the last week of school term and the first week of summer holidays. Prices soar when demand does.

Solution - nominate a mate to stay sober and drive (it was me for more years than I care to remember!) and stick two fingers up at overpriced hotels. The journey home will fly in after a win at OT...

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Ireland looking very slick so far! Wales look a bit shaky in defence.

Wales haven’t played much rugby recently so will be justifiably of the pace. 

Really nervous for the Calcutta cup. Think I’m gonna have to have Scotland as favourites 😬

Wales played more internationals this Autumn than anyone else @Uwe (barring Scotland)!

I think today's game shows just how much Ireland have progressed under Farrell (Senior) whereas Wales have regressed under Pivac. Farrell really has got Ireland to a place where they look very balanced in terms of defence and attack.

I am too! Scotland at Murrayfield is always a tough one. England are in a little bit of transition as it stands, changing how they approach the game (as we saw in the autumn too) and have really pushed to get a new nucleus of players blooded. Plus we have a few big players out injured (Lawes, Farrell, May, Tuligai and Hill). I'll be looking forward to seeing Ludlam (Saints Captain) in action for England again, he (and the other England backrowers) faces a proper battle at the breakdown vs Ritchie and Watson.

1 hour ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Wales played more internationals this Autumn than anyone else @Uwe (barring Scotland)!

I think today's game shows just how much Ireland have progressed under Farrell (Senior) whereas Wales have regressed under Pivac. Farrell really has got Ireland to a place where they look very balanced in terms of defence and attack.

I am too! Scotland at Murrayfield is always a tough one. England are in a little bit of transition as it stands, changing how they approach the game (as we saw in the autumn too) and have really pushed to get a new nucleus of players blooded. Plus we have a few big players out injured (Lawes, Farrell, May, Tuligai and Hill). I'll be looking forward to seeing Ludlam (Saints Captain) in action for England again, he (and the other England backrowers) faces a proper battle at the breakdown vs Ritchie and Watson.

My bad. I meant to say the Welsh haven’t played much rugby (mainly the Scarlets) 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1