oneBoro Forum

The Chattybox.

5 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Things are still a little sketchy at the moment regarding the strikes. But if previous experience of these things are anything to go by, I'd definitely look at an alternative way of getting to Darlington (just as a back up). 

Edit: Just noticed you said you are traveling on 22nd, which is in-between the intended strikes, so you may actually be ok.

We leave Washington, DC on the 22nd and arrive in London on the 23rd, so the 23rd is the date that we will be traveling.

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy New Year guys.🥳🥳🥳

Well...it finally happened... I guess it was only ever a matter of time. Enough forumites have liked him that he has finally taken on his true form...the demon known to religious scholars a

Have a great Christmas fellas. Hope Santa makes all of your dreams come true, (apart from beating us again) 🤣 Us, you, and the Barcodes next season eh?👍👍👍

Posted Images

Just now, DanFromDownSouth said:

Apologies! I read that as 22nd as the date of your train travel.

No worries! I just glanced at the cost of flights on the 23rd to Newcastle, but they look prohibitively expensive. I really want to get up North on the 23rd because one of my daughters will only be there for one week.

If you don't mind bus travel, National run services from Victoria coach station that would cost less for all of you than one plane ticket..  might be worth checking out if you need the option.

• Like 1

If the Rail strike goes ahead it will be chaos (which is the whole point of it). I'd imagine that Coach and Bus options will be oversubscribed and bedlam at Bus Stations. Hiring a Car may be the simplest option but the roads will be busier than normal due to the strike. Maybe the Newcastle flight option is the least stressful despite the cost?

Maybe flying into Manchester and then Car hire is an option or even Amsterdam on to Teesside?

1 hour ago, Redcar Rioja said:

If the Rail strike goes ahead it will be chaos (which is the whole point of it). I'd imagine that Coach and Bus options will be oversubscribed and bedlam at Bus Stations. Hiring a Car may be the simplest option but the roads will be busier than normal due to the strike. Maybe the Newcastle flight option is the least stressful despite the cost?

Maybe flying into Manchester and then Car hire is an option or even Amsterdam on to Teesside?

Thanks for the info, mate 👍

Do you think there is any chance the strike won't happen? Ticket prices are really high for that day...driving is a possibility, but I don't sleep much on the flight over, so I'll have missed one night's sleep. Not sure I trust myself to drive for extended period of time.

41 minutes ago, Smoggy-in-VA said:

Thanks for the info, mate 👍

Do you think there is any chance the strike won't happen? Ticket prices are really high for that day...driving is a possibility, but I don't sleep much on the flight over, so I'll have missed one night's sleep. Not sure I trust myself to drive for extended period of time.

The strike is looking pretty ominous unless one side backs down which at the moment doesn't appear likely.

When travelling to and from the US I try and use Manchester as it's only two and a half hours drive from Teesside. I prefer Schipol to Heathrow when it comes to transfers as I detest Heathrow at the best of times (it comes third in my "avoid" list of Atlanta, CDG and then Heathrow). KLM are a decent Airline, not the greatest but definitely up there with the best of the US Carriers, flights to Schipol (pre Covid at any rate) were often better deals than through Heathrow.

I once drove from Philly to Scranton after a flight that I couldn't get any sleep on and it wasn't the best of drives that's for sure, I was shattered and struggled to concentrate so if you struggle to sleep then a drive from LHR wouldn't be ideal that's for sure as no doubt the M25 will be gridlocked because of the strike as soon as you get out.

The only other options are maybe via Brussels to Newcastle or CDG to Newcastle. CDG however is a large sprawling airport and not the quickest to get around if your flights are at opposite ends and transfer time is tight.

10 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

The strike is looking pretty ominous unless one side backs down which at the moment doesn't appear likely.

When travelling to and from the US I try and use Manchester as it's only two and a half hours drive from Teesside. I prefer Schipol to Heathrow when it comes to transfers as I detest Heathrow at the best of times (it comes third in my "avoid" list of Atlanta, CDG and then Heathrow). KLM are a decent Airline, not the greatest but definitely up there with the best of the US Carriers, flights to Schipol (pre Covid at any rate) were often better deals than through Heathrow.

I once drove from Philly to Scranton after a flight that I couldn't get any sleep on and it wasn't the best of drives that's for sure, I was shattered and struggled to concentrate so if you struggle to sleep then a drive from LHR wouldn't be ideal that's for sure as no doubt the M25 will be gridlocked because of the strike as soon as you get out.

The only other options are maybe via Brussels to Newcastle or CDG to Newcastle. CDG however is a large sprawling airport and not the quickest to get around if your flights are at opposite ends and transfer time is tight.

RR, I very much appreciate the info. I think I might just suck it up and buy four tickets to Newcastle. Cheers again for the info and suggestions.

• Like 1

Ive always flown from manchester to toronto when visiting relatives over there and you can get a direct train from mbro to manchester airport which is obviously going to be a no goer with the strike.  just a thought ,is flying to dublin an option then dublin to teesside.  

1 hour ago, Essuuaitch said:

Ive always flown from manchester to toronto when visiting relatives over there and you can get a direct train from mbro to manchester airport which is obviously going to be a no goer with the strike.  just a thought ,is flying to dublin an option then dublin to teesside.  

Thanks for the suggestions. Calling United right now to see if I can change flights 🤬

On 6/14/2022 at 6:30 PM, smogsterking the Inspirati said:

What a great advert for test cricket that was today. The new approach England have taken has made it more easy on the eye for casual viewers.

Very good Test match all round. Still think a few questions to be answered, firstly Crawley's form and secondly needing to find a frontline spinner.

Also thinking Buttler could be a good shout to come back into the test side especially with the apparent shift in batting mindset. Although he frustrates me as he's such a good player in ODI and T20, appears to be able to play some very good technical shots but hasn't ever really been able to translate that to the Test arena.

• 3 weeks later...

Hijacking the thread 

Absolutely bonkers things going on at a mall in Denmark 

Somebody armed with a machinegun is shooting at people .. Several injured ..  I have so far seen 2 people I know make status updates, that they are hiding  .. One is hiding in a restaurant's kitchen, while the shooter/s is shooting inside the dining area .. 

• Sad 5
  • Angry 1
  • Wow 1
1 minute ago, SmogDane said:

Hijacking the thread 

Absolutely bonkers things going on at a mall in Denmark 

Somebody armed with a machinegun is shooting at people .. Several injured ..  I have so far seen 2 people I know make status updates, that they are hiding  .. One is hiding in a restaurant's kitchen, while the shooter/s is shooting inside the dining area .. 

let’s hope everyone you know is ok, mate. And the rest of the People caught up in it. 

• Like 6