oneBoro Forum
bugrit

The chattybox - anything EXCEPT football

3 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

I actually had a dream last night that Biden won and Trump refused to leave the White House, securing himself in a Panic Room inside.

Biden merely moved in and ran as President while Trump effectively made himself a prisoner. Meanwhile his supporters launched an attack on the White House to free him but were killed by Secret Service agents. It was bizarre but not too far fetched considering the current circumstances!

Sounds like a spin-off of the White House Down franchise...only better...

Anyway, thank goodness we've got the independent observers in there to provide some balance to all Trump's ranting:

EDIT: Just noticed Biden is now ahead by over 7,000 in Pennsylvania, from a lead of just around 1,000 a few hours ago. Looks like its in the bag...

Edited by AnglianRed

As much as I quite enjoyed the car crash tv that was Trumps presidency I think it’s about time we start taking it a bit serious now so the result is  for the best 

I see Trump has issued yet another statement saying that if a mail vote doesn't arrive by the close of polls on election day, it shouldn't be allowed, regardless of when it was postmarked...   can just envisage his next tweet "It's my White House and I am not going home" or maybe even the iconic "The table is lying". I think it is essential that as much as possible is independently verified in the close races to avoid a repeat of the Al Gore situation in 2000,but it is also time that Trump told his attack dogs to go home, they are not helping him by acting like stormtroopers

I agree with him on the first bit. Any vote after the poll closed should not count end of. They had weeks to get them in. 

16 minutes ago, Blanco said:

I agree with him on the first bit. Any vote after the poll closed should not count end of. They had weeks to get them in. 

no votes are counted that are posted after election day. Votes ARRIVE after election day, but if they're post marked before hand they're still valid. The USPS has been intentionally slowing down mail for this exact reason.

1 hour ago, Brunners said:

no votes are counted that are posted after election day. Votes ARRIVE after election day, but if they're post marked before hand they're still valid. The USPS has been intentionally slowing down mail for this exact reason.

I’m not a Trump fan in any way Brunners but votes not in before end of polls should not count. It’s the same as the transfer window, if the paperwork doesn’t arrive on time, it’s too late. I’ve no sympathy for any of this stuff. The time is the time 

52 minutes ago, Blanco said:

I’m not a Trump fan in any way Brunners but votes not in before end of polls should not count.

No votes that were made after the polls closed are being counted. That's not how the system works. 

What is happening like @Brunners has said, is any mail in or absentee votes made before the close of the polls are being counted, as long as they are postmarked on or before the deadline. 

For what it's worth, waiting for a complete picture of votes has always taken at least 2 weeks in the US (as in 100% of all legitimate votes being counted). Results can are often declared sooner,  for obvious reasons like one candidate having too wide a margin etc.

1 hour ago, Blanco said:

I’m not a Trump fan in any way Brunners but votes not in before end of polls should not count. It’s the same as the transfer window, if the paperwork doesn’t arrive on time, it’s too late. I’ve no sympathy for any of this stuff. The time is the time 

They have absolutely no control over the post, mate. DJT and co have gone hard after the USPS to make as many ballots as possible slow or late to arrive for EXACTLY the reason you're trying to describe.

These votes AREN'T late. These voters held up their end of the bargain. If you're stood in line when voting ends, you still get to vote. Same thing there.

The reason it's so stupid this time round is because the American election system is built on the idea of concession, they've never had an election where both parties refuse to concede at all.

In the UK, the postal votes have to be delivered before the election closes. If you dont get it posted in time, you can take it to the polling station. I have no problem with this system.

However...

The key point is that whatever rules you have about postal votes, they have to be decided and sorted out long before the election. You can't turn around afterwards and start changing the rules. The US states had already decided before the election that votes that were posted by election day had to be counted. Therefore those are the rules they have to go by. They can change the rules for 2024 if they want, but not retrospectively.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, boro-unger said:

In the UK, the postal votes have to be delivered before the election closes. If you dont get it posted in time, you can take it to the polling station. I have no problem with this system.

However...

The key point is that whatever rules you have about postal votes, they have to be decided and sorted out long before the election. You can't turn around afterwards and start changing the rules. The US states had already decided before the election that votes that were posted by election day had to be counted. Therefore those are the rules they have to go by. They can change the rules for 2024 if they want, but not retrospectively.

Agreed.

Plus; had they not sabotaged the postal system they wouldn't have so many late arriving ballots 🙂 they've manufactured a problem so they can cry foul about it after.

• Like 1

Sounds like a load of crap to me. Get your vote in on time. It’s not difficult. Postmarked votes less than a week before the polls should not be involved. Post in a week before or go to the polls. Not rocket science 

2 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Sounds like a load of crap to me. Get your vote in on time. It’s not difficult. Postmarked votes less than a week before the polls should not be involved. Post in a week before or go to the polls. Not rocket science 

If they are postmarked on or before the deadline they are on time.

The polls close at a set time, regardless of what method you vote, if you have done it before that time then it is on time.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Rules are rules mate.

35 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

If they are postmarked on or before the deadline they are on time.

The polls close at a set time, regardless of what method you vote, if you have done it before that time then it is on time.

I can fully understand how this can be abused. There must be a million postmen who could postmark any amount of votes in the USA. No wonder it is open to challenge in a tight call