oneBoro Forum

The chattybox - anything EXCEPT football

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A public apology to @TeaCider24 A little while ago, during the Rotherham match, I made a comment essentially in reply to TeaCider24.  The comment, full of sarcasm as so many of my posts are, impl

With perfect timing, this just appeared in my twitter timeline.

We can hug but avoid face to face contact 🤷‍♂️  Think I’ve found a solution buddy

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I hope this doesn't include the spots just off Cargo Fleet Lane, I park near Upex Pies and walk up from there. I've never had a warning notice put on my car, mind, so it might not be there that's the problem.

It's great that they share a list of car parks but I've no idea how up to date that information is. Some places handle it differently on match-days too or around Christmas and I can't see anything about that on the link they posted. I'm parked in the Zetland for work today and I think it said it closes at 11:30pm today on the way in but most days it closes at 7:30pm, meaning your car would be stuck from before 15 minutes before kick-off on a weeknight game like today. I don't fancy chancing that myself so I'm gonna be going to be taking it out and to my regular matchday spot.

It'd be good if they shared a map of the areas around the ground they're referring to.

I think you will be ok around Upex pies, i uised to park there and never got any bother, it can be a bit of a pain to get out, but then again its the same where ever you park.

• Like 1

Maybe the Club and the Council could put their heads together to work out how to satisfy the requirements of 20,000 plus customers attending a major event in the Town once or twice a week. Maybe the Council could even consider these things when providing planning approval in the first instance. How difficult is it to work out that a venue that holds nigh on 35,000 people will need a surrounding infrastructure to support safe passage to and from the event with the required resources for trains, buses and automobiles?

Solving a problem in the first instance is usually far more practical and durable than reacting (continually for decades) after the event/s and then wondering why they still have a problem and in the process blaming the customers when they find their own solution for the ineptitude repeatedly shown by officials.

Perhaps having adequate and safe parking for about 8 times the amount currently provided might help. I doubt very much that people want to risk damaging an expensive car (whether it's £500 or £50,000, it's all relative) by driving it up over kerbs and onto muddy grass verges and banks. It's comical to see the ranks of Hi-Vis vests and Peaked Caps out on a mission, swarming over parked vehicles just after KO and then literally fleeing 15 minutes before the final whistle. 

It's been over 25 years since the Riverside was built and still nothing has ever been done to solve the problem just merely whine and whinge about the symptoms, year after year. Dockside Road is jammed packed with cars parked all over on a street that isn't maintained at all let along poorly with fans having to walk on "pavements" covered in inch thick clay and sediment which on wet days is taking your life in your hands so walking on the road to avoid slipping and overhanging shrubbery is far safer. I guess fining pedestrians is a bit trickier and doesn't make as much money while solving absolutely nothing. Still it's only football fans and they are all sub human scum.

• Like 1

It's always amazed me that the Riverside Stadium has such poor transport infrastructure. I tried to walk there from the train station a few seasons back at night, and all the street lighting was off. It was literally pitch black, not even moonlight to show the way, and I along with everyone else was stumbling along that series of streets (Vulcan St? Scott Road? I'm not sure of their names) towards the stadium. It was a horrible experience, and I've never gone that way since.

The underpass is totally clogged and involves walking over a train line past what look like derelict yards, trying to walk through the McDonalds complex is just chaos... It all creates a really poor impression, however you come and go. My wife went there once, hated the whole experience, and never went back. I wonder how many other people have been deterred in a similar way. I love the Riverside as a stadium, but it's a pretty unappealing place to get to and from.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Never understood why some sort of Park and Ride system hasn't been implemented would be simple enough to run a few buses from Skippers Lane and Teesside Park and use all the parking spaces, at least for evening games..  or even a couple of trains to Cargo Fleet (if still open). Money to be made if the initiative is shown.  

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Old Codger said:

Never understood why some sort of Park and Ride system hasn't been implemented would be simple enough to run a few buses from Skippers Lane and Teesside Park and use all the parking spaces, at least for evening games..  or even a couple of trains to Cargo Fleet (if still open). Money to be made if the initiative is shown.  

I doubt people would want to use a park and ride as most want the comfort and relaxation of their own vehicle plus the ability to get straight home after a game. It may however have some attraction and even if it was for only a minority if it can take a hundred or so cars from the surrounding area it's an improvement.

Marked parking bays cut out from the grass verges alongside access roads may help to tidy up parking and permit more cars to fit in and reduce the clogging of roads. The recent example of the empty ghost Sainsbury car park is a good example of space being available in the area and viable but nobody was prepared to invest in it and still aren't but they like to wring their hands in despair and point fingers at the customers.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Not so much on purpose, but it's the same sort of madness that makes councils dig up perfectly good roads in March to spend all their annual budgets. If they don't, they're deemed to have been given too much cash in the previous year, and their budget for the next year will be cut.

I'd like to think the pandemic would have caused a rethink about airlines and airports retaining existing departure slots, but clearly the aviation industry reacts more slowly than other sectors.