Carling cup draw (Oldham A)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Any ideas why Cardiff are playing in the first round at Coventry I always thought teams which come down from the PL didn't enter till round 2?

Not sure but I think that only the team that finished third from bottom dont play in the first round so norwich shouldnt have a game in this round

There are 92 Premier League and Football League clubs. Obviously 92 would make it difficult to have a competition get down to just two finalists so they stagger some entries and as help to our European sides they give them an extra bye to the third round. So it works out in the following way:

72 football league clubs but they give a bye to the sides finishing second and third bottom of the Premier League and that leaves 70 clubs. They play each other leaving 35 left in the competition in the second round.

Now we add in the 2 Football League clubs that were given byes and the 13 Premier League clubs that aren't in Europe and this gives us 50 clubs. They play each other and we have 25 clubs left in round 3.

Now they bring in the 7 clubs that have European football and this leave us with a nice number of 32 clubs left in the competition in round 3 and we can then easily get to the two finalists from that number.

In cases where a Football League club is in Europe then the second bottom Premier League team from the previous season have to start in round 1 as well as the bottom team, if I'm not mistaken.

just seen that Wimbledon have drawn MK Dons, that should be a good game.

Decent draw for us, should be a fairly routine win into the second round unlike last year.....

I can't remember the last time we won there and checking some records it appears it was the 1966/67 season! Not a happy hunting ground for us.

9 times mate and we've lost all of them. That includes two seasons in which we were also promoted, including the first under Robson. That was also the last time we played them however so it's been a little while. Still quite a poor record for whatever reason but some of them would have been on the plastic pitch they used to have of course.

Nice easy ground to get to Oldham so looking forward to it.

Oldham's ground has changed a good deal since we were last there - only 3 sides open now and away end is a quite large seating area behind one goal. Ground still has old fashioned higgldy piggldy bits to it.

Still a lack of nearby pubs except a Brewers Fare type pub which takes mostly away fans. But the pies are still very good.

Looking forward to identifying away trips tomorrow. So hope Brentford is a Saturday - good trip to London and a great standing area behind the goal (and of course as we all know a pub on each corner of the ground.

"I can't remember the last time we won there and checking some records it appears it was the 1966/67 season! Not a happy hunting ground for us."

I didn't think you'd submit to that kind of nonsense !!

"I can't remember the last time we won there and checking some records it appears it was the 1966/67 season! Not a happy hunting ground for us."

I didn't think you'd submit to that kind of nonsense !!

I don't mate, just thought it was something to talk about on the thread :)