oneBoro Forum

Premier League / National Team

hi, Keen on everyones thoughts on this

I Personally think that the English national team as a whole would significantly benefit in many ways {LETS FACE IT WE NEED TO) if the premier league was cut to 16 teams over the next two years ,

thus enabling thier season to end late march .

those players representing the national side would then have the opportunity to prepare for euros/world cups without running themselves into the ground in the end of season run in which was definately the case with gerrard and maybe a few others this year .

i would also like to see each side being made to include 5 english players in the starting 11 each match .

of course there will be obstacles to find a away round ..ie champions league. loss of tv revenue from those 8 games less..... but its worth a mass debate:angel::angel:

I don't think that fatigue is the issue here like I don't think the Premier League is solely to blame for the poor England performances an talent coming through but the F.A's with their clear and obvious ignorance and lack of invention. Grass roots is where I believe the problem lies, lack of quality coaching at that level and lack of facilities where youngsters can just play football! I think Wenger said before, if an English player isn't good enough, he won't play them. The whole B-Team idea, what a load of nonsense, doesn't work in Spain, won't work here- just ruins what's special about football in this country, the league system.

Stop hiring these media dinosaurs to head the F.A, who know nothing about football btw, hire someone with a bit of passion and hunger to change the game be creative with it and I think we'll be fine!

Also, I don't think the Premier League will change any thing that will effect their cash cow or can be forced to do so as the Premier League has so much influence in the F.A and the F.A has arguably little powers over the Premier League. Plus, I don't think the fans would like it either because let's face it, in this country it's mostly club over country and if we want to be successful as a footballing nation, that needs to change to.

I think the competativeness of the BPL is the main reason English teams do not perform so well on the Champions League stage. There really are no easy games in the prem so teams can't just rest players left right and centre as is seen in other leagues. Players will definitely be affected by the strenuous season, there's no question about that. The debate in this regard is the extent that they are affected. The table below (sourced from the BBC) actually shows that Italy and Spain have higher total minutes played than England.

Picture1_zps488fdb47.png

I'm not a fan of the idea of reducing the number of teams in the prem. Where would they go? The championship is already very large and are we just going to relegate team after team as the knock on affect happens?

I do think, in regards to the FA, the media has far too much control. The only way to change this would be a shake up of personnel.

For domestic matches, I think including a rule that a match day squad/starting XI must have a minimum amount of english players is a good idea. 5 may be a bit high but definitely 2,3,4. The B team idea is an interesting one but it does have a lot of negatives like it will increase the amount of stockpiling of players that the larger clubs do and what happens when teams drop out of the prem? do they lose their rights to a second team and then how would they deal with the wages of all the excess players? I think they should only be granting second teams to clubs with cat 1 academies and overall, i think it is a good idea.

The way the sport is controlled rule wise needs to be revamped as well. Rugby is a great example and football can learn a lot from that.

I'm a huge advocate of bringing in a video ref for big calls (offsides, red cards etc..). It would all be over quicker than the huge debate that goes on after every decision as well and so many games wouldn't be negatively affected by human error.

Retrospective punish is another thing that needs to be introduced. If players dive and manage to deceive the ref, just give them a game or two ban afterwards. Anyone who isn't the captain shouldn't be allowed to contest a decision, just give them a straight yellow if they do. The same goes for foul language, just give them a card.

Goal line technology is a start but is just not enough on it's own to combat the problems in football.

I'd stipulate that it'd definitely need to be 5 English palyers as a minimum. not just British as its an English league, with the proviso that the pre-existing welsh teams need 5 welsh or English players in their team.

I think the competativeness of the BPL is the main reason English teams do not perform so well on the Champions League stage. There really are no easy games in the prem so teams can't just rest players left right and centre as is seen in other leagues. Players will definitely be affected by the strenuous season, there's no question about that. The debate in this regard is the extent that they are affected. The table below (sourced from the BBC) actually shows that Italy and Spain have higher total minutes played than England.

Picture1_zps488fdb47.png

I'm not a fan of the idea of reducing the number of teams in the prem. Where would they go? The championship is already very large and are we just going to relegate team after team as the knock on affect happens?

I do think, in regards to the FA, the media has far too much control. The only way to change this would be a shake up of personnel.

For domestic matches, I think including a rule that a match day squad/starting XI must have a minimum amount of english players is a good idea. 5 may be a bit high but definitely 2,3,4. The B team idea is an interesting one but it does have a lot of negatives like it will increase the amount of stockpiling of players that the larger clubs do and what happens when teams drop out of the prem? do they lose their rights to a second team and then how would they deal with the wages of all the excess players? I think they should only be granting second teams to clubs with cat 1 academies and overall, i think it is a good idea.

The way the sport is controlled rule wise needs to be revamped as well. Rugby is a great example and football can learn a lot from that.

I'm a huge advocate of bringing in a video ref for big calls (offsides, red cards etc..). It would all be over quicker than the huge debate that goes on after every decision as well and so many games wouldn't be negatively affected by human error.

Retrospective punish is another thing that needs to be introduced. If players dive and manage to deceive the ref, just give them a game or two ban afterwards. Anyone who isn't the captain shouldn't be allowed to contest a decision, just give them a straight yellow if they do. The same goes for foul language, just give them a card.

Goal line technology is a start but is just not enough on it's own to combat the problems in football.

I'm not 100% certain on this but I think in regards to match day squads, we can't have regulations like 4/5 English players in a starting 11 due to EU regulations.

I'd rather the English league system be left as it is. I couldn't care less about England and I don't want club football to suffer as a consequence.

100% agree with Humpty.

I think we could do with more british based players at the highest level but nothing will stop Prem clubs doing what they see as the most profitable. The only way we can change that is by as supporters supporting and encouraging homegrown players rather than dross brought in from abroad. Sadly that hardly seems to be likely direction our club is taking.

Some random thoughts...

This is my personal opinion, but I fear that England fans are just too darned pessimistic. Predictions of failure were all over prior to the World Cup. And, your fears were fulfilled.

On the other, predictions of US failure were seen here and in the media, but optimistically overcome. Why would 10,000 fans show up during the day at a viewing venue in Kansas City, for instance, to cheer on losers? How can a nation be thrilled by a 2-1 loss? It was a desire to excel and drive to play that was typical for the US and lacking for England. England played to expectations; USA's attitude "was damn the predictions. Full speed ahead!" (Adapted from Admiral Farragut's command at Battle of Mobile Bay, American Civil War) Someone in the States said that the US has a soccer (football) future that is growing and isn't completed. England needs to retool and readjust the football mentality from being too focused on the betting line and more on the enthusiasm of the event.

Enough on that topic now.

Video on offside calls? If the referee made a bad call based on what the linesman saw, what would be the restart? I see too much of a problem here. Even with TV would you require a mechanical device to keep up with the play or would you just use the camera in the stands? In my opinion, it wouldn't work.

Retroactive suspensions? Yes, subject all to review. An intentional elbow to the face out-of-view of the referee needs to be punished. That will clean up the game. It could also be used to enhance or reduce sanctions if necessary. This is something that video can help with, not the run of play, which only goal line technology can be useful.

Major League Soccer is right in the middle of the season. Teams took 2 weeks off. Sporting KC has two US National starters, Matt Besler and Graham Zusi, gone from competition since mid-May. But, they still compete and are ranking high in the league table. Sure, it would be nice to have them ready for competition this Sunday; they will be there, but not dressed for play. Commitment to the National team is supported by the club team fan. Would that be the same in England? I'm curious.

I don't think we need to change too much at the top level of professional football. We need to change at the grass roots of English football, so that the youngsters coming through are so good that Premier League teams want them. Weakening the actual league wouldn't be in our interests because the truth is that we actually want all these top foreign players here so that our English players are playing with and against them week in week out.

In my opinion, what was missing from our national team in this tournament was an identity, a style of play. Yes we need players who are capable of implementing it, not just technically but tactically too, and while I think a lot of our England players are technically good enough, tactically they seemed clueless.

We have to decide what an England player is, how England plays football, the attitude we'll be teaching them and the intelligence and understanding of the game to implement it. This all has to start from an early age.

Many of the other teams seemed to understand the game better than our players. It's not just technique, you can have all the skills in the World but if you don't know when to pass, when to run, where to put the ball etc then you're never going to be a top player.

We've been talking about grass roots football for years and maybe there are some good players coming through? We also need to stick with it because changes made even 4 or 8 years ago after the last World cups are still in the early stages. It will takes many years to see the benefits and we have to be patient.

It all starts though with that decision on how we will move forward and then ensuring that we learn lessons but don't allow knee jerk reactions after each tournament to call for further changes.

Several members of the US National team appeared on the morning talk shows on Friday.

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/playlist/u-s-soccer-players-deandre-yedlin-and-matt-besler/

There are several additional videos after this one. They're more direct question and answer.

I didn't even know who Yedlin was until 6 weeks ago. On the other hand, I've reffed Besler when he was a youth player and we've talked since he's been a professional. I was unaware of the number of viewers of the games from Brazil. The maximum of 22 million is quite astounding for US. Was there this degree of enthusiasm for the England games? Was there interest or was it more attention to the betting line? My point is that the World Cup seems an after-thought for many in England. Need more enthusiasm!

Several members of the US National team appeared on the morning talk shows on Friday.

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/playlist/u-s-soccer-players-deandre-yedlin-and-matt-besler/

There are several additional videos after this one. They're more direct question and answer.

I didn't even know who Yedlin was until 6 weeks ago. On the other hand, I've reffed Besler when he was a youth player and we've talked since he's been a professional. I was unaware of the number of viewers of the games from Brazil. The maximum of 22 million is quite astounding for US. Was there this degree of enthusiasm for the England games? Was there interest or was it more attention to the betting line? My point is that the World Cup seems an after-thought for many in England. Need more enthusiasm!

The England v Italy game was watched by 15 million people in the UK, meanwhile the US only managed a maximum of 22 million with its much larger population.

15 million from a population of 63 million is extremely impressive and nearly 25% national viewership.

22 million from a population of 320 million is much less impressive and is less than 10% national viewership.

So I'd say, with a fair amount of confidence, that there was much more interest in the UK in the World Cup than in the US. I think it's a sign of the type of fans that the US team have that you hadn't even heard of one of the brightest young talents in your team until 6 weeks ago, even quite a few people on here had heard about him and knew he was a very talented lad.