oneBoro Forum

Mejias going out on a limb but...

I think what was great about last season was that he didn't know any of the players prior to joining Middlesbrough and thus not having an opinion is great because he plays players based on form not on reputation. Meijas on the other hand, is a player he has known for a long time, I just worry that he is viewing Meijas though rose-tinted glasses and not judging purely based on what Meijas is doing on the pitch. I certainly hope that's not the case!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm seeing a lot of people suggesting he needs to go and hit the weights, this sin't the case, it's his technique when coming for crosses that needs to be worked on, if he had the correct technique it wouldn't matter as he'd have the momentum to come and win the ball.

I'm not suggesting hitting the weights would be a total solution but he does currently look like a strong crosswind would blow him into the tees. Probably needs a combination of both.

it seems to be a natural part of his game to punch the ball only, this might not be a bad thing if he can do it properly but he cant even do that.

He has had ten years at real madrid, how much can we improve him in the short term? not alot IMO, certainly not enough in the next few weeks to stop him costing us points.

He is Karankas player therefore he is being played regardless of ability I think, I dont rate steele but he is probably the best keeper at this club yet he is sat in the reserves watching us loose points (If steele had played we wouldnt have conceded to Leeds and at least two of the sheff wed goals would have been avoided). this is just awful from the manager. Not suggesting he doesnt know what he is doing but it isnt really a good sign is it?

Instead of suggesting steele had a bad attitude it sounds more like the manager has a bad attitude

I think it is a bit early to be writing off Mejias. I don't know what Steele has done but he certainly seems to be on his way out.

Mejias needs time to adapt to English football but it isn't going to help him having both our centre backs perform poorly in front of him. Having reviewed all 3 goals multiple times, I can of course see the weakness in Mejias that he has to sort out, but I also saw both Ayala and especially Omeruo perform poorly, with Omeruo poorly placed for all 3 goals. Worrying that our defence is so poor after looking very strong towards the end of last season.

I might be wrong as i cant remember if omerou was playing cb or if ayala was back then but what has mainly changed about our defense since the end of last season mainly? No dimi, Meijas in.

Our best keepers i've seen being schwarzer and Given were both very good at commanding their defence and im wondering if meijas has the first team experience under his belt to have the confidence to give his defenders an earful to make sure they get it right. Steeley had been developing that trait more and more after his second season in the championship he was pretty much there.

Meijas to me feels like an unfinished product who needs to be playing in the rain at stevenage (so I can take my 2 year old lad to go cheer at him) with the crowd on his back at 2 nil down week in and week out where he can grow and improve and come back ready to boss everyone around with no fear.

Also just to reiterate what was said about the mentality of selection. If the boss says to the team "play well and you'll play" but then after a handful of games where if you wanted to finger point you very easily find a target with two players lined up with better track records (imo id pick dimi then steele even though i am a fan of steeley) you start to question judgement and start to wonder if the staff are just picking their favourites and is nepotism instead of meritocracy or even worse it might become the spaniards vs everyone else in the dressing room which could drive a wedge through the squad.

Just watched the Sheff Wed highlights....

What has he done wrong for any of the goals? Yes he flapped at the first - but then there is 4 or 5 defenders on the line and somehow the Sheff Wed. player wins the ball? Blame Meijas though yes, well done.

You cannot rectify his 'flapping', not without hours and hours of training.

It's the players natural instinct to come and approach a ball in that way, its very hard to train and drill this out of a player.

He appears to be an half decent shot stopper, his judgmental skills are left wanting however.

It's just going to take time.

Humpty, explain.

Your vendetta against Meijas is verging on ridiculous. Explain how that 3rd headed goal Meijas is at fault? Explain how that second goal Meijas is at fault?

If he was stronger, he would have more conviction in his ability to collect crosses - De Gea is an example. I agree, it's not worth us playing him if he isn't ready - but he is hardly awful, and there are aspects which are better than Steele, Steele was dodgy to start with, but you'd forget that with those spectacles on! ;)

Humpty, explain.

Your vendetta against Meijas is verging on ridiculous. Explain how that 3rd headed goal Meijas is at fault? Explain how that second goal Meijas is at fault?

If he was stronger, he would have more conviction in his ability to collect crosses - De Gea is an example. I agree, it's not worth us playing him if he isn't ready - but he is hardly awful, and there are aspects which are better than Steele, Steele was dodgy to start with, but you'd forget that with those spectacles on! ;)

i was in the south, the keeper was getting stick for not even moving for the 3rd. the way i saw it the ball was put in infront of him and the big man ran across the flight of the ball and directed it in. FREE HEADER keeper could do nothing at all if he anticipated and moved and nobody headed it would of been terrible keeping.

i think the second their big man got another free header to flick it on to that little scruffy jock to guide it in. again keeper not at fault. giving a FEE HEADER in the box is the defenders fault.

first goal free cross in big man FREE HEADER again. keeper must of known what was about to happen so in his defence came for it knowing it was a risk. if he never came still a FREE HEADER and a likely goal.

My summary, keeper was not the reason we lost the game ayala and omeruo are for being bullied by nuihi or whatever his name is.

they are both every young still and got a good schooling.

Just watched the Sheff Wed highlights....

What has he done wrong for any of the goals? Yes he flapped at the first - but then there is 4 or 5 defenders on the line and somehow the Sheff Wed. player wins the ball? Blame Meijas though yes, well done.

Seriously?

The first goal was awful from the keeper, 100% the keepers fault, yes there were 4 players on the line but it should have never got to that situation. If the keeper comes for the ball then he should claim it.

Second goal he ended up in no mans land which made it easy for him to be chipped. wasnt all his fault for that goal though

Not his fault for the third goal.

All the way through the game he was coming for crosses and either flapping at them or completely missing them though. Honestly the worst GK I can remember watching for boro