oneBoro Forum

Mejias going out on a limb but...

It's simple for me. I think Karanka is making the wrong decision but he's the manager and I'm not. Whoever pulls on that shirt gets my support and I certainly don't believe in making a bad situation worse by booing the poor lad or getting on his back. I'll just have to put my faith in the boss and hope that Tomas comes good. Promotion chances hinge on your keeper playing well.

spot on.

although i think Steele is by far and away the best we have, there is a long record of managers in football dropping some of the existing first team for no apparent reason in order to show who's boss.

ill be behind tomas for as long a he is in goal for the boro

Agree 100% as will all true fans. We may have doubts but its now up to all fans to support AKs decision

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

The first goal was his fault, but in Spain that would have been a free kick for him 9/10 times but in England it's more like 1/10 (which is how it should be). He should obviously have gotten to the ball by being much more decisive and brave, and that is hopefully something he will learn. He has to commit himself to getting the ball. Only that way will he gain the respect from the strikers and his own defenders.

The other two goals were certainly not his fault.

From reading the comments I thought his mistakes were a lot worse than the video footage suggests, and it's certainly not as big a drop as the one against Leeds.

He's played 5 games and been directly responsible for 3 goals and you could argue that the second goal conceded against Sheffield Wednesday was down to his poor clearance.

He might improve, but will he cost us a play-off place in the meantime?

AK is not daft and will surely have Tomas training hard during the I/B to sort out the concerns shown on the forum.

I hope he has a good game and does not get adverse reactions from the fans at the game

I think it is a clear article explaining why he will stick with Mejias and that the keeper position is different to the outfield players in terms of performance.

But the most important aspect he mentions is that he hopes fans will support whoever he chooses to put out on the pitch. Moans and groans are not going to help the keeper.

Let's be honest, Steele made similar mistakes and Mowbray stuck with him and I think was rewarded. Steele may not be in favour now, but Mejias is the same, stick by him and allow him to correct his mistakes and build confidence.

Mowbray didn't really have a choice but to stick with Steele. He was what we had and we didn't have the resources to go out and get a good GK so it made perfect sense to stick with what we had at the time. You can't say the same about now.

I don't think the article is all that clear. It doesn't actually say anything other than Mejias is his first choice and that's how it is, which is what we already knew. It doesn't say why he is the first choice, it doesn't say why Dimi was dropped after last season's reasonably solid showing and it doesn't say why Steele can't get a look in at all.

My own opinion is that the reason for dropping Steele is a personal one and nothing to do with his abilities and that he simply doesn't believe Dimi to be all that good or a long term answer. He played him last season because Mejias got himself injured if you remember and because he simple refuses to pick Steele.

Mejias reaction saves were excellent. But his decision making as to when to come and stay is very very poor. He misses most punches and even the ones he makes go nowhere or straigh forward to there midfield

Im not sure if hes just poor or if the pressure of making mistakes earlier is making him try too hard

I haven't seen this guy live, so I'm going off Boro+ and the Leeds match, but I don't know how anybody can call his punches, punches. They're weak and limp wristed efforts that are quite frankly embarrassing for a bloke That happens to be 6' 5" and I've seen bitch slaps harder than he punches.

Steele got plenty of stick in his early games, yet he improved after then so hopefully Meijas does likewise and very quickly. I'm all for keeping faith in players but even I wish he wouldn't play tomorrow, considering how woeful he has been this season.

Meijas may have received one loud "wheyyy" when he collected a ball late on, on Saturday, but the fans were pretty tame considering how he has cost us so many vital points against Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday. If he does another error tomorrow which costs us points again, then the fans will turn on him, no doubt about it.

I doubt you honestly expected the article published on mfc.co.uk would reveal all the 'whys'.

And a lot thought Mejias would not be in goal for next game, so it does say something we did not know beforehand.

I doubt you honestly expected the article published on mfc.co.uk would reveal all the 'whys'.

And a lot thought Mejias would not be in goal for next game, so it does say something we did not know beforehand.

I wouldn't expect it at all. I was simply disagreeing with Starbuy that it was a clear article explaining why he will stick with him. It's nothing of the sort.

If anyone seriously expected Mejias to be dropped for tomorrow then they're pretty stupid as it was never going to happen.