oneBoro Forum

Jamal Blackman set to be Boro's first choice keeper....

If you judge by results, Dimi would walk the keeper competition by a mile, so I really can't understand why he isn't first choice this season.

Unless Aitor has painted himself into a corner by trying to get backup on the cheap ("you can have him on loan but he has to have a starting place").

And there's also Dimi's age. Okay 33 (I think) isn't too old for a keeper but you have to think to the future too.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

If you judge by results, Dimi would walk the keeper competition by a mile, so I really can't understand why he isn't first choice this season.

Unless Aitor has painted himself into a corner by trying to get backup on the cheap ("you can have him on loan but he has to have a starting place").

And there's also Dimi's age. Okay 33 (I think) isn't too old for a keeper but you have to think to the future too.

In fact, for all we know, Dimi might even have announced plans to retire. They generally do that early in Greece.

In fact, for all we know, Dimi might even have announced plans to retire. They generally do that early in Greece.

He's 35. Could even be doing bits and pieces of coaching with Leo already, and signed on for another year in the knowledge he'd be used for cover.

Im a bit baffled by it all really.

On one hand, I totally understand playing Meijas and throwing him in the deep end. If he is to be our keeper for years to come then he has to come through this rough spell. On the other hand, given the significant investment in our squad, is this really the year to be messing around with a critical position in our side?

Thats where Dimi comes in. Solid and reliable last year. Surely should be a shoe in, right? Except hes only got a few years left and half a season doesnt make you a keeper, given that he never set the world alight elsewhere 8n his career.

Then there's Steele. Good shot stopper, poor defensive organization and command of the area. Sounds alot like Meijas, is it really a step up??

The Blackman, well, dont know much about him but again, is this really the season in which we want to experiment with keepers and blood one for Chelski? Depends how good he ends up being I guess.

I dont know what to make of it all, I could go round in circles all day. Surely though, the most stable option given our goals for the season would be Dimi. Let Meijas get used to the environment and work with him, use him for cups etc. We really need a resolution though and stability at the back because, uncharacteristically in Karanka's reign, we've looked right dodgy at the back this term so far!

Personally I'm happy to go along with whatever Mr Karanka decides.. He and the coaches have a better idea than any of us on here as they see these players in training. So if it comes to Huddersfield and he picks Blackman in goal it must be because he is the best goalkeeper for that match. Trust Karanka.. He's done pretty well so far!!

We could be left with a bit of egg on our face this season, unless they don't sort out the continuity they need right about now. Ok the GK position is very very important, i'd go as far as saying GK and strikers win games, the rest of the team decide by how many. Meijas hardly played last season, Given was far an away the most outstanding GK we have ever had since Mark Schwarzer - if not better in my opinion. At the moment there are more questions than answers in the whole squad if you ask me. I'm a worrier lol.

Food for thought people. Thibaut courtois was loaned out to atletico madrid in 2011 after signing him from genk (where some superstars are made!!:p). He was 19.

From what I'm told Chelsea rate Blackman as highly as they did courtois. For me that makes it a no brained that he should start. Again we all like homegrown kids to step up but would anyone here think rippers is at that level?

We could be left with a bit of egg on our face this season, unless they don't sort out the continuity they need right about now. Ok the GK position is very very important, i'd go as far as saying GK and strikers win games, the rest of the team decide by how many. Meijas hardly played last season, Given was far an away the most outstanding GK we have ever had since Mark Schwarzer - if not better in my opinion. At the moment there are more questions than answers in the whole squad if you ask me. I'm a worrier lol.

Totally with you ES, if we had got Given on a season long loan [along with Omeruo] at the start of the window, instead of Mejias, I think our defence would have been pretty much as good as any Championship defence can be.

From the little I've seen of Blackman he looks very strong. For communication with the back 4 I'd start Dimi at Huddersfield, but also, I'm not expecting them to be great going forward, even at home, so perhaps it's logical to start Blackman.

The keeper situation is the one part of the team that is genuinely puzzling at the moment.

We'd never have gotten Given on a season long loan... He's got a coaching role at Villa. Given was never, and will not be, a possibility. That's before we even mention his £40k+ wages. He's an integral part of Lambert's back room staff now.

If young Rippers was as talented a keeper as his dad was a winger, we'd be laughing!

Food for thought people. Thibaut courtois was loaned out to atletico madrid in 2011 after signing him from genk (where some superstars are made!!:p). He was 19.

From what I'm told Chelsea rate Blackman as highly as they did courtois. For me that makes it a no brained that he should start. Again we all like homegrown kids to step up but would anyone here think rippers is at that level?

+1. Well said.

Not doubting you tudders but If he is as good why hasn't he been loaned to a bigger club like Courtois was?

Never mind which keeper you win the funniest sentence of the week award

Not doubting you tudders but If he is as good why hasn't he been loaned to a bigger club like Courtois was?

Because like this kid from Norway courtois was always banded about as being a wonderkid so was more widely known. Blackman has come to the fore with Chelsea in the last 18-24 months at a pace and hadn't been known much before that. I doubt he will be at Chelsea much for the next few seasons but also doubt he will be with us for long unless we are promoted and Jose wants him to have experience in the prem rather than away from england