oneBoro Forum

Jamal Blackman set to be Boro's first choice keeper....

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

I think it's extremely unlikely that he will play for the club again unless all of our GK's get injured or Karanka leaves the club in the next 10 months or so. Even then I think Karanka would get someone else in on loan if they were all injured. Steele is done here, that must be obvious to everyone by now?

I think it's extremely unlikely that he will play for the club again unless all of our GK's get injured or Karanka leaves the club in the next 10 months or so. Even then I think Karanka would get someone else in on loan if they were all injured. Steele is done here, that must be obvious to everyone by now?

Agreed. We all know Football is about opinions - unless your Shilton, Schmichael, or Schwarzer chances are you're going to have players who eternally transcend the line between quality and average at best.

Steele is a young keeper, he hasn't really had the best time of it since AK arrived, perhaps it's is size, not small but not overly big. AK seems to like a presence between the sticks. Given was of similar stature to Steele but obviously has a lot more experience. We should be glad we have options even though I think Steele will be a good keeper one day. In the end look at Paul Robinson, played for England, Leeds in the Champions League and now is in the Championship too. Not all keepers are going to be wonderkids, so lets hope we have got a good un in Blackman!

I agree, I think Steeles time here is finished as long as AK is here. Since Mejias has come in and Steele not having a chance, Steele has became as good as Peter Schmeichel since the last time he played. I do think this is clouding a few people's memories.

Saying that, I was a fan of Steele and thought he was improving season on season. But he did make a fair share of his mistakes. As said above, a keeper mistake usually costs a goal. A midfielder on the other hand can misplace 20 passes in a game but score a screamer and all is forgotten. A keeper doesn't have that luxury. I do think if Steele was behind this defence he'd be the best of our 2 perm keepers. Although I think Blackman may be a good bit of business.

The problem with Mejias seems to be the confidence the defence has in him is a massive worry. I haven't seen anything of Blackman but coming through the English system should be better suited, similar to Dimi who has been very steady for us. I'd like to see us loan out Mejias but I'm not sure any club would be keen on him.

I think its a shame that we are looking likely to lose Steele on a free next year, when only last season he was linked with Everton and Villa.

Last thing on this, no matter who starts vs Huddersfield I hope the boro fans get behind them from the first minute.

I agree, I think Steeles time here is finished as long as AK is here. Since Mejias has come in and Steele not having a chance, Steele has became as good as Schmeichel since the last time he played. I do think this is clouding a few people's memories.

Saying that, I was a fan of Steele and thought he was improving season on season. But he did make a fair share of his mistakes. As said above, a keeper mistake usually costs a goal. A midfielder on the other hand can misplace 20 passes in a game but score a screamer and all is forgotten. A keeper doesn't have that luxury. I do think if Steele was behind this defence he'd be the best of our 2 perm keepers. Although I think Blackman may be a good bit of business.

The problem with Mejias seems to be the confidence the defence has in him is a massive worry. I haven't seen anything of Blackman but coming through the English system should be better suited, similar to Dimi who has been very steady for us. I'd like to see us loan out Mejias but I'm not sure any club would be keen on him.

I think its a shame that we are looking likely to lose Steele on a free next year, when only last season he was linked with Everton and Villa.

Last thing on this, no matter who starts vs Huddersfield I hope the boro fans get behind them from the first minute.

Well said.

I get the feeling Meijas will be taken out of the picture for a month or so and perhaps play a fair bit reserve football.

Regarding Blackman he is a big keeper and hopefully he uses his size to his advantage. The video clips show him to be a good shot stopper but the two things i like to see in a keeper is firstly how he controls his area. The best I have seen with us was Crossley. I also liked Given who didnt always come out for balls but when he did he made sure he got it or punched it away.

The second thing I like to see is how they respond to an error. For me this is a big thing. Players like Joe Hart have made errors but bounce back right away. They may miss a cross or let in a shot but that doesnt stop them coming again unfazed by their previous error.

Im hopeful if Blackman is number one he shows the two qualities I have mentioned.

What some people aren't grasping with Meijas is that it's not just his inability to collect crosses that's the problem. At Bolton Leadbitter had to tell him to organise a defensive wall for a free kick on the edge of the box. It was astounding. His decision making is also poor. I'm not really sure what his strengths are?

I really don't understand the fascination with him if he's so bad, surely it must be down to ego or stubbornness from Karanka, similar to Mowbray not playing McDonald. For a start he's certainly not better than Steele. Maybe Real Madrid promised us Ronaldo on loan next season if we took mejias and played him every game, probably a bit hopeful.

Meijas is bad, but so was Steele when he first played for us. Eventually he got better. Even in the latter stages I still never felt confident with him in goal. Hopefully Blackman comes in and does well. It shouldn't take a great deal to be number one and good luck to the lad.

He also played more games Humpty, therefore had more chances to save those points as he gained more confidence.

He's just inexperienced, and I agree the first team isn't the place to give someone experience in a promotion chasing season, but I think he's a good keeper somewhere in there.

Hopefully Blackman is a bit better.

Mejias has started poorly, there is no denying that. He may come good, he may not. We certainly shouldn't write him off just yet, but an extended period out of the limelight might do him good.

On to Blackman; if he is indeed good enough to be first choice keeper, we could probably see him playing here on loan for several seasons like Courtois at Atl. Madrid, and that was a massive benefit to them. Courtois can stay at Chelsea for 10-15 years easily and there is no way Blackman is going to surpass him in the next few years, so Chelsea might as well let him stay here if he is good enough to be our first team keeper. Unless they want him siting on the bench - which I doubt if they rate him highly.

Against Reading our defenders had to tell Meijas when to come out as he was hesitant. And for all of his height, he does nothing with it.

Hes about 6ft 4in, But he plays like hes 5f 4in

He should dominate his penalty area and opposition players should think I don't want to particularly stand in his way because of his shear size but a 5f 8in player just needs to stand near him and he flaps.

Hes a shocking keeper.

From Blackman, mejias, Steele and dimi. The only one who IMO will go on to be a top keeper is Blackman. Can't see any of the others going on to play and higher the champo at best. So saying that it's probably a good thing Blackman starts here. Is already been touched upon that if his rise is as great as Courtois then Blackman could end up our keeper for a number of years. Here's hoping anyway