• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

After a fantastic run Magic Lamp has retired and a replacement is being sought in time for Watford. This was a new venture and more magic was used for football puposes that ever before, having only being used for cup football, a full league season was always a big ask.

Little of the history of Magic Lamp has ever been published, but after helping Hudderfield to their only cup win in 1927 the Magic lamp disapeared for nearly forty years resurfacing in the mid sixties, found in an attic of a pawn dealer in Daganham by a schoolboy friend of Alf Ramsey. After a bit of research he found that this indeed was the Lamp that helped Hudersfield and as a bit of joke passed the lamp onto Alf for goodluck with The World Cup about to start.

Of course England went on to win, however, what wasn't known was that there was a dressing room ritual with the Magic Lamp never before published that will astound the public. In some recently discovered papers, an unpublished interview with Alf Ramsey penned by Cassandra of the Daily Mirror, which were overlooked upon his premature death in 1967, that only now can the contents be revealed.

Cassandra writes, Jimmy Greaves tipped me off about this strange ritual, intrigued I sought out Alf and he granted me an interview at his modest Ipswich bungalow and said it all started off as a bit of a joke, but it was really to take the pressure off the team and footballers being a superstitious mix embraced it. By the time we got to the Argentina match the players were starting to believe in it. Greaves was injured and refused to rub Magic lamp, I had a decision to make and brought in Hurst to the fold. Magic Lamp came to the fore that day causing Rattin to speak inconprehensilble nonsense to the referee and got himself sent off, them Geoff scored a marvelous goal.

By the time the final came Greavsie was fit, the press were clamouring for his return and I had a decision to make. I said to Jimmy are you a believer and he replied no and then picked up the lamp and hurled it at the dressing room wall, shouting I'm the star of this fecking team not some Magic Lamp. By good fortune Gordon (Banks) was stood at the wall talking to George Cohen and he instinctively caught Magic Lamp saving irreparable damage

So my mind was made up, an unchanged team and the rest is history. As the full time time whistle blew Magic Lamp said to me, you've already won it once, tell them to go out and win it again.

There was great celebrating in the dressing room afterwards and the players said the only thing better than drinking champagne out of The World Cup, was sipping it from the delicate lips of Magic Lamp.

Alf said he wanted to take Magic Lamp to Mexico. Magic Lamp declined the offer saying he needed at least another forty year rest before exerting himself again.

Cassandra. Thank you Alf. The nation indeed owes a debt of gratitude to Magic Lamp.

try Borgin and Burkes it's just off knock turn alley.

Thanks for the heads up Batamalan. A beautiful lamp was found there and is just being polished up. It will be on display in time For Watford.

Can't rub without the match day thread, these are getting later by the week! really good job by all when posted but could do with a bit of pre match discussion, with this being such an important game for us.

Can't rub without the match day thread, these are getting later by the week! really good job by all when posted but could do with a bit of pre match discussion, with this being such an important game for us.

Soz! work got in the way. Will be up soon.

Just delivered from the silver smith after much polishing.

Magic Lamp believes that the silver version is much more suited to finish off the rigours of a Championship season with all the staminmagig that will be required for a top two finish. However, he may be enticed out of retirement if the play offs are needed.

Genie_Lamps_007-300x225.jpg

Glen Hoddle once said, "Thoughts are funny things".

So give Magic Lamp a rub and send some good karma to the Boro...