oneBoro Forum

Boro V Liverpool (A) League Cup 2-2 13-14 Penalties

Liverpool v Middlesbrough  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Liverpool v Middlesbrough

I see this as a great distraction from the normal and a tie where we will not discredit The Championship or Middlesbrough itself.

We will see just how far off the gap is between Premier League opponents and ourselves but every PL team is capable of a banana slip from time to time, even at home so why not Liverpool?

I think Rodgers will field as strong a team as he possibly can given games coming up for them and perhaps they will be just that bit better than us overall.

I will gear myself up for a loss but if Boro manage to take chances presented to them then fans pressure on the home team could be enough for us to sneak a win.

Maybe a draw at full time then lose out at extra time.

I guess the most important aspect is just how The Manager and players fell about the game and the chance of showing the whole country just how far Boro have come in recent weeks.

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

I've got pretty much tunnel vision on the League, everything else is a side show to it. Obviously I want us to win, just not at the expense of picking up a serious injury to someone like Friend, Leadbitter, Adomah, Kike etc that would have a negative effect on our chances of promotion.

I've got pretty much tunnel vision on the League, everything else is a side show to it. Obviously I want us to win, just not at the expense of picking up a serious injury to someone like Friend, Leadbitter, Adomah, Kike etc that would have a negative effect on our chances of promotion.

Totally agree with this... As much as it would be good to have a decent run in the cup, achieving promotion has to be our main target.

However.

I would still like us to field our best side.

It is going to be very interesting to see how we cope against a top end premiership club.

The time we were narrowly beaten by Manure 2-1 at old trafford with Bernie scoring our goal springs to mind.. We showed we were a match for them and that season we were promoted.

If we can get anywhere near that performance then the future looks very bright indeed.

I wish this game would not happen after a magnificent result we will play a team that is in the top ten (or there abouts) in the world and will not take kindly to a team that is somewhere on the wrong side of the best team in the 100 teams in the world.

i do not fear the result i fear the injuries we will succumb too, Kike ,Vossen, Leadbetter will be smashed to pieces by the liverpool team ) how many times have we seen the PL team smash the championship team to pieces out of pride alone ?.

I fear that the referee will not send off a Liverpool player who has been cynically charged with (REMOVING THE THREAT) against an inferior championship side.

I cast my mind back to SCUM U and the cup game when the white feather was nearly murdered by Fergusans substitution. not to mention Alves.

I fear this game will stink of (US AND THEM) and we will have several players out for several months.

Badger in Asia

I wish this game would not happen after a magnificent result we will play a team that is in the top ten (or there abouts) in the world and will not take kindly to a team that is somewhere on the wrong side of the best team in the 100 teams in the world.

i do not fear the result i fear the injuries we will succumb too, Kike ,Vossen, Leadbetter will be smashed to pieces by the liverpool team ) how many times have we seen the PL team smash the championship team to pieces out of pride alone ?.

I fear that the referee will not send off a Liverpool player who has been cynically charged with (REMOVING THE THREAT) against an inferior championship side.

I cast my mind back to SCUM U and the cup game when the white feather was nearly murdered by Fergusans substitution. not to mention Alves.

I fear this game will stink of (US AND THEM) and we will have several players out for several months.

Badger in Asia

Do you ever post positive stuff? :D

Definitely think we should/will look to play a strong team. Certainly 4-2-3-1.

Dimi, Freddy, Omeruo, Gibson, Friend, Leadbitter, Whitehead, Vossen and Kike should be nailed on in my opinion. Question marks over who will start on the wings though. Good case can be made for starting Reach and Adomah, though I'd be fine with the same Adomah and Nsue combo as before. What I wouldn't do in this one though is start Tomlin on the left or give Wildschut his starting debut.

Genuinely wouldn't rule us out of getting a result. Though naturally you have to make Liverpool strong favourites, regardless of the CL wedged around this game, their injuries and their poor form. Think the key is to take them on on the break but be brave when doing so. It's unlikely that we'll be able to contrain the likes of Lallana, Lambert and co (assuming they are the ones to start) for 90+ minutes, but that defence of theirs is very very leaky. And probably low in confidence.

Oh, and please please PLEASE let us see Jones get a start. Then my optimism going into this one will well and truly be through that roof.

Whitehead is suspended, Clayton nailed on. Ill probably be in the massive minority here, but i think id rather us win this game than the Charlton one, i know league is priority, but i can just see a couple of teams from outside the prem making the semi's the way the draw has panned out. If we were to win there would be a maximum of 8 premier league teams in the next round, providing theres no upsets, and theres almost always 1 or 2, so there could literally be about 6 premier league teams left in for the 4th round.

I was under the impression that Whitehead was only suspended for the league? I'm probably way off the mark though. If he is then obviously Clayton has to start. If he isn't, then we could do with that defensive protection from Whitehead, as well as a rest (not that he needs it) for Clayton before he presumably starts the 3 league games that follow.

I wouldn't go as far as to say I'd prefer us to win this game then vs Charlton. But I definitely care. A lot. Would love a good cup run. Just imagine if we were lucky enough to get through to a semi-final or something. Not a completely ridiculous aspiration, albeit pretty unlikely. And it's been a long long time.

I think we can get after that defence of theirs, definitely, whoever we put out. I hope he's watched their last two defeats and see how West Ham especially got after them and pressed high up the pitch.

I'm not too bothered about the result although wins breed confidence.

This would be my team

----------------Blackman

Fredericks - Woodgate - Gibson - Husband

-------------Morris - Clayton

Wildshot -------- Tomlin --------- Reach

-----------------Vossen

Bench

Dimi - Omeruo - Friend - Leadbitter - Adomah - Kike - Bamford