oneBoro Forum

Centre Midfield

Whilst everything is going great for us right now, and all the town's parmos are tasting so much sweeter, there's one thing bothering the badger.

I believe the one key position we need to buy or loan another quality player is centre midfield. I also believe this will make all the difference in our promotion push. Here's why....

After sixteen Championship games so far, our central midfield pairing has given the following results:

- Leadbitter & Clayton starting: Win Ratio 70% (7 wins, 1 draw, 2 losses)

- Whitehead starting: Win Ratio 40% (2 wins, 1 draw, 2 losses)

- Leadbitter not starting: Win Ratio 0% (2 draws)

I would like to ask the oneBoro massive:

- Would you agree that this is our number one position to strengthen? Or do you think any available transfer funds/wages budget should go elsewhere?

- Who might be available for us to get in January? What centre midfielders could make a difference?

- Could Rhys Williams do a job in this position when he returns?

- Do the stats actually tell us that Leadbitter is our most important player by far?

- Why is Leadbitter better now?

- I love Clayton, do you?

Starting pairings for all Championship results so far:

Boro 4-0 Norwich: Leadbitter & Clayton

Rotherham 0-3 Boro: Leadbitter & Clayton

Boro 1-1 Watford: Whitehead & Clayton

Wolves 2-0 Boro: Leadbitter & Whitehead

Brighton 1-2 Boro : Leadbitter & Clayton (conceded after Whitehead replaced Clayton)

Boro 2-0 Fulham: Leadbitter & Clayton

Boro 1-1 Blackpool: Leadbitter & Clayton (Clayton replaced by Whitehead)

Charlton 0-0 Boro : Clayton (Kike, Bamford, Tomlin, Adomah, Reach all started)

Boro 4-0 Brentford: Leadbitter & Whitehead

Cardiff 0-1 Boro: Leadbitter & Clayton

Huddersfield 1-2 Boro: Leadbitter & Clayton

Boro 0-1 Reading: Leadbitter & Clayton

Boro 2-3 Sheff Wed: Leadbitter & Whitehead

Bolton 1-2 Boro: Leadbitter & Clayton

Leeds 1-0 Boro: Leadbitter & Clayton

Boro 2- 0 Birmingham: Leadbitter & Whitehead

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Think Whitehead is a reasonable third choice. And we've yet to see what Veljkovic has to offer. Of course having another quality CM would be ideal, but I think it's reasonable to continue as we are at the moment. Just have to keep those two fit as much as possible really!

If GL or AC gets a serious long-term injury though, then we'll 100% need to bring someone else in - unless Vejkovic is a gem of course...

Very short memories. Rhys is still a classy player, he was just poor for a long time at the same time everyone else was poor during moggas reign. He was looking good before his latest injury and i expect him to come back and provide good, top 6 class backup to several positions.

All are entitled to opinions however harsh!!!

If AK deems Rhys ok to play a game then I for one will not question his judgement whatsoever (sure I said this in another thread)

We have seen every pro player before his Management come along in leaps and bounds and if his injuries have not ruled him out then I would suggest we could see some fine performances coming from Williams because he has it/had it in him.

Also on a personal note is it right that we aim such vitriol at our own players instead of getting behind them. I thought those days had gone tbh!

Whilst I would like us to sell Rhys in January to avoid losing him on a free transfer, I think it's naïve to write him off so emphatically. Things can change very quickly in football and we don't know what the rest of the season has install for us. I'd trust Karanka to manage him properly(like Mowbray struggled) and get him back to his best, given the time. Especially with us having a few areas that he could fit into when injuries and suspensions strike.

This is an international player were talking about, one who can fit into a variety of roles (including rb and cm where we have the least cover) and one who was deemed good enough for long enough to be the captain of this football club. He had a year of poor form but who didn't?

A good comparison could be someone like Friend who was struggling defensively before Karanka arrived, yet he is now one of our most reliable and important players. If Karanka can have a similar impact of Rhys then we will have a very high quality CB. Plus I think Rhys would really suit the system we play in. His wages and contract running out soon make things more complicated though.

If Rhys makes it back into the team it will be done by his own merit and hard work on the training ground as per Aitors philosophy. And I for one would welcome him with open arms. And if Karanka can make the same improvements with Rhys that he has with Reach then we will have a very very good and versatile player.. However after his setbacks its a big ask but I'm not going to vilify him for trying

We still have Rhys who can play CM

I hope the lad never wears our shirt again, Hes garbage imo, I never have rated him anything other than garbage.

Some said that about leadbitter last yr

I will support any lad that pulls on that shirt although I retain the right to say when they're utter garbage. (Hello, Ledesma).

If Karanka thinks that Rhys can do a job for us then I back the manager completely. He's great at man management. Look how together the team is while still competing for places. Rhys is very good on his day and maybe when he comes back he'll be like a new signing. Never want any Boro player to do badly so I hope he comes back with a bang.

I hope the lad never wears our shirt again, Hes garbage imo, I never have rated him anything other than garbage.

Leadbitter was never garbage and every one new he had the ability and Karanka is now getting the best out of him.

Anyhow its only my opinion about R,Williams and if he ever gets in the team and is an asset then fair play to him but he wont because hes garbage.

Leadbitter has been nothing but average since joining, until this season :P