oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window

This isn't a transfer thread! Just interested in what people think we need to do to stay where we are and challenge for promotion. Will Karanka change much?

Personally I don't think he will.

He already has said he wants to keep Bamford. I assume while he scores Bamford will want that too?

Carayol, Williams, Damia and Woodgate all to come back.

But looking across the team there is not much to do...

For me, possibly only really a top notch player should come in. They would have to be exceptional too... Whatever their position.

What do people think?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

When those players you mention are back to fitness - it would be better for team spirit and morale not to buy in more players but to stick with the present squad.

My theory is that it was dented team spirit when Mowbray was at the top of the Championship at Christmas 2012 that caused the slump in 2013 when we only won one(?) game, after shipping in mercenary loanees Ameobi, Miller etc.

I agree, it is dangerous. Could be debilitating to to team/squad morale. But should Karanka convince a star to come along would he do it. Could have the opposite effect?

The other thought is if we end up having to sell one or two... People are already mentioning our players to pick off for prem teams...

We have got to be careful which is why I thought a thread would be a good debate.

would like to pick up a solid CM to add depth, either loan or buy, other than that I feel we're pretty much sorted.

whilst everyone has a price it would have to be silly money for a starter to jeopardise the return to the promised land

If we bring someone in, then they need to be good enough to start almost straightaway, there is no point in bringing in someone just to add depth in my opinion, except maybe at CM

We seem well covered at GK as long as Dimi remains fit and available, if he was injured I'd try to bring in a top class keeper, but until that happens we are fine as we are

We are well covered at RB with Fredericks and Nsue, and there are others who can play there short term

At LB we have Friend and Husband, so we're fine there

At CB we have Ayala, Gibson and Omeruo, and several others to add depth

CM is mainly just Leadbitter and Clayton, with others offering depth, but less quality

In the attacking area of midfield we have Reach, Adomah and Tomlin, then Carayol, Ledesma, Nsue and Wilschut

Up front we have Garcia Enrique and Bamford, if Bamford goes then I'd bring someone in, otherwise we have enough to finish in the top six as is

I don't think we need more depth, our sub's bench is already strong, but if someone could be brought in to guarantee a top two finish I think SG would move mountains to bring him in

Like others have said I don't think we need to bring anyone in. The one thing I'd like us to change, is to start beating teams around us. Losing to wolves and drawing to watford and Bournemouth at home may come back to bite us in the ass.

If we bring someone in, then they need to be good enough to start almost straightaway, there is no point in bringing in someone just to add depth in my opinion, except maybe at CM

We seem well covered at GK as long as Dimi remains fit and available, if he was injured I'd try to bring in a top class keeper, but until that happens we are fine as we are

We are well covered at RB with Fredericks and Nsue, and there are others who can play there short term

At LB we have Friend and Husband, so we're fine there

At CB we have Ayala, Gibson and Omeruo, and several others to add depth

CM is mainly just Leadbitter and Clayton, with others offering depth, but less quality

In the attacking area of midfield we have Reach, Adomah and Tomlin, then Carayol, Ledesma, Nsue and Wilschut

Up front we have Garcia Enrique and Bamford, if Bamford goes then I'd bring someone in, otherwise we have enough to finish in the top six as is

I don't think we need more depth, our sub's bench is already strong, but if someone could be brought in to guarantee a top two finish I think SG would move mountains to bring him in

Does vossen not play for us anymore ;)

Get Leadbitter tied down onto a longer term deal before then has got to be the number one priority.

And move on fringe players and other players that aren't in Karanka's long term plans. So the likes of Steele, Halliday, Rhys, Ledesma and Carayol(unfortunately) will be likely to be on the way out.

squad is good enough to cover an injury crisis so do we really need to strengthen?

Karanka will have enough faith in the players so he doesnt need to make any changes IMO.

Think we will have money to strengthen if were still around the top in Jan but it will take alot of money to improve any position though, possibly could go for an experienced CM for cover

With regards to the CM position, I'd like to see Tomlin being used as cover for that position, at least for home games) if leadbitter or clayton are suspended or injured respectively. He drops very deep for the supporting #10 role which can leave kike isolated, so I think a middle triangle of leabitter, tomlin and vossen would give enough effort for defensive cover and a hell of a threat going forward. for that reason, I don't want anyone else in, the only place I think we could strengthen would be up front. bamford whilst ok, isn't anywhere near as good as kike. if there were other options i'd be looking at thm

I don't think we're in great need of another CM at the moment, but I'm sure we will need to do as the season progresses. I'd rather we didn't bring someone in at the moment just to make up the numbers, should we get an injury/suspension and potentially disrupt the team spirit that seems to be great at the moment. Even after the January window we will still be able to bring in an emergency loan.

Every transfer window that Karanka has been here we've been clinical with outgoings so I don't expect that to change with the players that aren't in his plans. When we get them outgoings, it should help us tie Leadbitter down to a new improved contract.

I see Leadbitter and Clayton as a potential Premier League CM partnership that will be good enough to keep up, so I hope we do all we can to keep Leadbitter.

Happy with the squad and definitely don't need any more strength in depth as things stand.

However lose a few (or we have the money) and I would rather see an absolutley guaranteed starter come in.

I don't think there is anything to do.

By my account, we have one of the best rosters in the league and I don't see the need to buy/rent new players.

All they need to do now is work hard and concentrate on the job at hand, and I'm sure they will go up.

@teapot: If Dimi gets injured at some point I would like to see Blackman in goal. I think he had a great game against Liverpool and would like to see how he does in the league over a longer stretch of games.

It will be interesting to see how much we will be able to raise from the players it seems are going to be sold in January, obviously if there is serious interest in them; Steele, Rhys, Halliday, Carayol, Ledesma etc.

I can't see us being able to get a fee for Steele as Blackburn only wanted to pay a percentage of his wage(70% I remember hearing somewhere), so I doubt we will be able to get any club to pay us a fee on top of negotiating a deal for his wages. Rhys is damaged goods but he always seems to attract interest in him despite his injury problems, so it's hard to predict if we will get a club willing to pay a fee on top of his massive wages(£18k a week). Halliday will be allowed for next to nothing with sell on fee percentage, so I can't see that being too much of a stumbling block, but we had difficulties selling him in the summer, for whatever reason, so we could have the same problems again. Ledesma could raise a small amount as there will surely be a club out there that has seen one of his long rangers and fancy themselves to get him to find consistency. Carayol will probably raise the biggest fee(comfortably over £1,000,000) and has had interest from Nottingham Forrest in the past, but his injury and 6 months left on his contract, will weaken our position to sell him. I hope he stays though and agrees a contract extension.

I think by time January comes around, more of our players should have gelled into the team and we should be far better placed to push for promotion. Vossen in particular hasn't had the impact yet that we would have hoped, but I have faith in him coming good. Kike has done well but his finishing still lacks a bit of conviction, especially with his abysmal heading, so with more confidence in front of goal, he will be brilliant. Even players that have been here for a while haven't hit the top of their form so far this season; Adomah, Tomlin, Gibson etc, but I think they will continue to improve as the season progresses.