oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window

I don't think there is anything to do.

By my account, we have one of the best rosters in the league and I don't see the need to buy/rent new players.

All they need to do now is work hard and concentrate on the job at hand, and I'm sure they will go up.

@teapot: If Dimi gets injured at some point I would like to see Blackman in goal. I think he had a great game against Liverpool and would like to see how he does in the league over a longer stretch of games.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see some transfer action, more out's than in's though. If we can offload Steele, Rhys, Halliday and Ledesma then that frees up some wages/funds without damaging the depth of the squad. I'd keep Carayol for now, if he can get up to fitness he could be very useful going into the end of the season.

Incomings would be limited for me, just another CM maybe? Whitehead is decent cover but he's all we've got to fill in. Lewis Baker was rumoured over the summer but Jose wanted to keep him at Chelsea I think? He's not made any first team appearances yet, so maybe a short loan in a Championship promotion push could be good for him, and would give us a bit more energy and drive.

Other than that I think we're OK. It'd be nice to get one of our strikers into form, as none of them have really hit top gear as yet. We're scoring goals, but we need someone hitting 20+ for the season if we're going to get promoted. (Last season Burnley had Ings (22) and Vokes (20), Leicester had Nugent (20) and QPR had Austin (19)). We're not far off the halfway point now and there's only Leadbitter close to double figures.

Strange that there are a few writing off Carayol when he's a genuine match winner in the Championship.

I dont think we need to do a lot and I said the same thing last January, our first priority is keeping the existing squad together.

Barring that id like a Challobah figure in as a genuine third choice central midfielder. Ideally I'd also like Steele back but I doubt thats going to happen.

On a side note a 20 goal a season striker isnt always a necessity for automatic promotion as long as the whole team is contributing. Encouraging to see that we are starting to score more goals (7 in the last 3)

People seem very confident of moving players out and making some Money. Canøt see that at all:

Steele: on loan for the season so that's a no-go

Williams: Barely back from another serious injury in january and on massive wages. No team will be interested. Maybe on a free.

Carayol: Why? He is a decent winger with match winning potential, however inconsistet. Is out of contract in the summer anyway so his value can't be more than 300k.

Halliday: Nothing

Ledesma: At a stretch 100k.

Btw. all we need is a decent CM, but I guess Rhys can fill in there as backup along with Whitehead.

Depending how the young lad from Spurs does may depend on if we bring in another CM in January. It's the only place I'd like to see a little more competition & flexibility.Ideally I would like Chalobah back but with him being at Burnley it's a no go. Failing that Lewis Baker could bring us a little more energy towards the end of games if needed.

Talk of selling Carayol is crazy imo. The hold up with a new contract could be possibly down to seeing how he reacts with this injury. I think Carayol will prove to be very important when we come to the run in.

I've never really understood the need for 20+ striker. If them goals are spread around the team surely that is more beneficial to the team? If your star striker is injured it becomes more of a problem. Also, it would be interesting to see how many other players other than the 2 Burnley strikers got last season, the same for QPR with Charlie Austin.

Sell Carayol? Someone taking the mickey there? We need him playing if you ask me. We better off giving him a new deal and concentrate on what we have before looking elsewhere. In January our aim should be get everyone signed up, get them fit and fend off interest from the big boys

Depending how the young lad from Spurs does may depend on if we bring in another CM in January. It's the only place I'd like to see a little more competition & flexibility.Ideally I would like Chalobah back but with him being at Burnley it's a no go. Failing that Lewis Baker could bring us a little more energy towards the end of games if needed.

Talk of selling Carayol is crazy imo. The hold up with a new contract could be possibly down to seeing how he reacts with this injury. I think Carayol will prove to be very important when we come to the run in.

I've never really understood the need for 20+ striker. If them goals are spread around the team surely that is more beneficial to the team? If your star striker is injured it becomes more of a problem. Also, it would be interesting to see how many other players other than the 2 Burnley strikers got last season, the same for QPR with Charlie Austin.

The top of last seasons scoring charts, taking away VOkes and Ings and Austin (WHO only got 17 btw):

28 Ross McCormack Leeds

25 Jordan Rhodes Blackburn

24 Troy Deeney Watford

22 Lewis Grabban Bournemouth

20 Chris Martin Derby

Having a 20 goal a season striker isn't necessarily going to help you get promoted. You need more players to contribute. QPR only had Austin with more than 6 goals, but they got promoted conceding less than 1 goal pr. match (and some luck).

The talk about Carayol being sold stems from AV saying that we were planning to sell him last summer, so his injury was bad in that aspect. I really rate him and hope he stays but if what AV says is true, then there must be something that Karanka doesn't like about him.

Might not like his attitude after last seasons defeat to watford away. Muzzy was one of the better players in a poor performing team. I don't think I'd drop any of squad to accommodate him at the minute. Especially as you'd be looking at dropping Adomah, Reach, or Wildschut

I'm not convinced about Reach in home games, as he isn't creative enough, at least yet. I haven't seen enough from Wildschut to have a firm opinion either way, but in his half of a game against Bournemouth he was terrible.

Might not like his attitude after last seasons defeat to watford away. Muzzy was one of the better players in a poor performing team. I don't think I'd drop any of squad to accommodate him at the minute. Especially as you'd be looking at dropping Adomah, Reach, or Wildschut

I'd have no qualms dropping Wildschut for Carayol. He's twice the player Wildschut has been to date.

I'd have no qualms dropping Wildschut for Carayol. He's twice the player Wildschut has been to date.

Really? He's played what, three games this season? Wildschutt played excellently against Rotherham and had a poor first half against Bournemouth. I'm not sure your statement is entirely fair.

Really? He's played what, three games this season? Wildschutt played excellently against Rotherham and had a poor first half against Bournemouth. I'm not sure your statement is entirely fair.

I agree with Dell on this. We haven't seen enough of Wildschut to write him off. Where as Muzzy is a player with loads of pace and not a lot else. Add to that a (possible) poor attitude and far to injury prone I don't feel he's done enough to make our bench let alone the starting 11.

I agree with Dell on this. We haven't seen enough of Wildschut to write him off. Where as Muzzy is a player with loads of pace and not a lot else. Add to that a (possible) poor attitude and far to injury prone I don't feel he's done enough to make our bench let alone the starting 11.

Humpty doesn't say anything about writing Wildschut off. He just says Carayol has been twice the player he has to date, which is very true. To choose Wildschut over muzzy is obsured. He's had 1 good game and was awful against Bournemouth. Carayol is all pace and not a lot else!? Come off it. The guys scored a few goals for us and can definitely finish. He nearly always beats his man and uses his pace very effectively, something I haven't seen yanic do too much of.

A fully fit Carayol should 100% start over Wildschut. People who think otherwise are basing it over 1 good game and that's crazy.