oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Wigan Athletic [A] 1-1

The way I will take the point is that, if we lost, we couldn't have felt too harshly done by. Plus we all know that we are capable of far more which is a sign of the progress we have made under Karanka. Surely people can remember how shockingly bad we were away from home for the last year of Mowbray's reign.

All this nonsense about we should beat any of the bottom ten teams is laughable; if that was that case that would be 60 points on the board without breaking a sweat. When it comes to the business end of the season, and if we're still in the play-off/promotion mix, this point will be massive. Roll on Blackburn next Saturday.

To be fair only one person actually said that. Getting a point isn't an issue for most people who have been critical, it's the level of performance that was the problem for some and rightly so.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange game today... plenty of decent individual performances but not a great team one... give Wigan their credit, Malky set them up well and they never really looked under too much pressure... they controlled the first 30 mins before letting us back in but we never capitalised and movement was poor... second half more even but we were lucky to get away with a point in my opinion... here's my two penneth...

Dimi 7 solid as ever despite inexplicably punching off a cross in the first half which nearly cost is a goal

Friend 7 solid defensively... not too many chances to get forward but worked well with Reach

Gibson 6 not his best game... too negative first half other than long balls to no one... better second

Ayala 8 imperious at the back... probably our best player today and reason behind our point... brilliant blocking run late first half to deny what would have been a goal... although a moment of madness second half would have cost us a goal had the Wigan player not hoofed over from six yards

Nsue 6 did his job defensively but offered nothing going forward... interested to know why Freddy never started as he's fast becoming my favourite player

Reach 7.5 full marks for effort but seemed to be trying to do it all on his own first half... some excellent mazy runs and crosses but no support

Leadbitter 7 again no doubting his attitude but technically not his best game

Clayton 6 as above... decent enough but our midfield never got control of the game so have to say didn't get his job done... lucky to last the 90 mins

Adomah 6 forgot he was playing first half... better second but never made an impact

Tomlin 7 good individual performance but didn't do his job of linking the midfield and attack very effectively

Kike 6 other than one good moment first half and his assist in the second half, thought he was poor today... probably get a load of stick now off 'fans' who rarely go to games... can't help but think he's still trading off his good July and August form

Bamford 7 didn't get too involved but did really well to get his goal showing strength and composure... made some good runs into the box unlike others

Fredericks 6 never really got chance to make an impact but did his job

Wildschutt 6 see above

Not going to give an in depth analysis because I'm watching the boxing right now. We were 2nd best today. I think a few people under estimated how tough this game was going to be today. We were fortunate to come away with a point.

What disappointed me most was that we had no answer to their pressing game. Surely it was obvious that they were going to play a high energy pressing game with a new manager taking charge?

Why didn't Karanka prepare for it?

Not going to give an in depth analysis because I'm watching the boxing right now. We were 2nd best today. I think a few people under estimated how tough this game was going to be today. We were fortunate to come away with a point.

What disappointed me most was that we had no answer to their pressing game. Surely it was obvious that they were going to play a high energy pressing game with a new manager taking charge?

Why didn't Karanka prepare for it?

Your right we had no answer to there pressing game. Thats where us playing badly came in , if wed played well we would have coped with it but on an off day we dont . On the other hand even though we have an off day if we play a poor side we still win

Got to agree with you Will and Armster with what you accurately described how on earth could you expect 3 points??

I expected 3 points before the game, at half time I thought we'd be lucky to get one, but I'm not going to be satisfied with 1 point from a team in the bottom 3, with a manager that's never had any time to implement any sort of changes. new manager syndrome will mean that they will try that little harder and true it was going to be more difficult than normal, but thinking a single point is good against a team that third bottom is daft.

With regards to my point saying we should be looking for 3 points off any of the bottom 19 teams being laughed off. Why is this an unrealistic expectation. Sure we'll drop the occasional game but we should still be expecting the points if we are ever to challenge for promotion we cant be dropping points against the "lesser" teams. Asking for any less is "it is what it is" sort of thinking. we'll see where we are the last 10 games and try from then. BS every game is important and easier games we cant be dropping many points against them. We dropped enough at the start of the season.

to tired to do match ratings but everyone was pretty poor today, we deserved nothing at all so im happy with the point, they pressed us high up the pitch which stopped us doing anything, luckily we took our one chance, quality finish from Bamford. Dont think the pen appeals at the end were penalties, havnt seen them again but they looked soft.

Great turnout from the fans today but they were unusually quiet considering there was 5k. If we play like that next week we will get beaten, huge improvement needed!!

We're 3rd, 3 points off top, 18 games in. Who cares how we get there it's a good place to be.

Some of you are so *** negative.

Played well, played badly. Who cares?

All of the people on this forum probably? Most Boro fans? I care about how well we play albeit I would happily win a game any way we can.

I'd quite happily play terrible every week and go up than play well and not. If we can play well it's a bonus but I'm not that bothered as long as we're in the mix still and don't lose ground on the teams around us.

Thankfully when we haven't got 3 points from a game most times the teams around us have failed to win too. Derby lost to Wigan a few weeks back, let's not forget. This wasn't as easy as some were making it out to be.

It's a cliche but there really are no easy games in this league. We played badly and still managed a draw, and had one of those penalty appeals (haven't seen them so don't know if they were correct decisions or not) been given we would have won without playing well.

Like I said, I'm less concerned with one bad performance a***st a sea of decent showings than I am happy at a point salvaged from a game that we could have lost.

The ref comes from the John Deed school of refereeing. We didn't deserve 3 points, so he made an arbitrary decision not to award a penalty.

Residing in County Durham and being Sunderland supporter has no bearing on the matter whatsoever... :D