Boro V Ipswich (A) 0-2

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

As an Ipswich supporter and season ticket holder I feel I have to respond to the rather patronising tone of some on this thread. We comfortably beat a very good side yesterday who were not allowed to play their normal game. We didn't do it with scintillating football but with the way we have been trying to play all season.

When Mick McCarthy took over as Manager we were bottom of the table and seemingly destined for the drop.

He has spent a total of £10,000 (on Mings) and we still probably have one of the smallest squads in the division.

But what he has built is a team with fantastic togetherness and spirit.

At Bournemouth we went behind to arguably the goal of the season inside 5 minutes and twice came from behind to snatch a draw against ,in my book , the best side in the division. We have drawn at Derby, Notts Forest (Forest equalising in the 95th minute) and are the only side to have beaten Charlton on their patch since February. Its not always pretty but I am 100% certain that we will be in the top 6 at the end of the season. In fact I think the automatic places are between Bournemouth, Middlesbro, Ipswich and either Derby or Watford and if I was put on the spot I would say its a 3 horse race between Bournemouth, you and us. We are very very hard to beat with currently the best home record in the division plus Mick McCarthy has been here before ..twice.

I would like to end by saying how impressed we were with the amazing support you had ...over a 1000 supporters travelling to one of the more difficult grounds to get to and I wish you all the best for the rest of the season. Happy Christmas.

Like I always do I give my honest opinion.

I don't agree at all about Ipswich doing to us what we did to Derby. Ipswich were bang average and I will be shocked if they finish in the top 6, In fact I say they wont and they will eventually finish mid table, They did nothing in particular to win that game.

We were shocking and I reckon we would of got beat by just about all the teams in the championship playing like that, Adomah and Omeruo were useless and should be dropped for the Forest game, Reach played well but the rest were very poor. Our passing was poor even when they was no pressure, Far to many long balls, No effort to win 50/50 balls, Like AK said its impossible to take anything positive out of that game.

To sum up how bad we were I heard an Ipswich fan say what I thought all neutrals would of thought if they watched us for the first time.... How are Boro even up there.

Now obviously we know better than that and I genuinely think it was one of a few games all championship teams will do in a season.

I fully expect a few changes against Forest, Some players might not make the bench.

Hopefully the lads come out determined to get back on track and we take all three points against Forest.

UTB.

But you do tend to err on the side of boom or bust...   I cant rememebr the last time we lost and you said it was because of the class of the opposition,

No offense intented everyone has there own opinion.

But i think it is knee jerk to drop people even beyond the bench due to one bad game

And ipswich were the best team ive seen at that style of play. Bournmouth being second , ive seen better footballing teams but they dont always win leagues

Wolves deserved to beat us, Even though we were poor that game I thought they looked a strong and quick team, We drew at home against Bournemouth and they are the best team we have played imo, They probably should of beat us and it wouldn't of been unjust.

I do admit I'm more critical of us than praise the other teams, I'm just trying to be honest about the way we play.

Ipswich deserved to beat us yesterday there is no denying that.

Quote me on this at the end of the season, Ipswich wont finish in the top 6.

As an Ipswich supporter and season ticket holder I feel I have to respond to the rather patronising tone of some on this thread. We comfortably beat a very good side yesterday who were not allowed to play their normal game. We didn't do it with scintillating football but with the way we have been trying to play all season.

When Mick McCarthy took over as Manager we were bottom of the table and seemingly destined for the drop.

He has spent a total of £10,000 (on Mings) and we still probably have one of the smallest squads in the division.

But what he has built is a team with fantastic togetherness and spirit.

At Bournemouth we went behind to arguably the goal of the season inside 5 minutes and twice came from behind to snatch a draw against ,in my book , the best side in the division. We have drawn at Derby, Notts Forest (Forest equalising in the 95th minute) and are the only side to have beaten Charlton on their patch since February. Its not always pretty but I am 100% certain that we will be in the top 6 at the end of the season. In fact I think the automatic places are between Bournemouth, Middlesbro, Ipswich and either Derby or Watford and if I was put on the spot I would say its a 3 horse race between Bournemouth, you and us. We are very very hard to beat with currently the best home record in the division plus Mick McCarthy has been here before ..twice.

I would like to end by saying how impressed we were with the amazing support you had ...over a 1000 supporters travelling to one of the more difficult grounds to get to and I wish you all the best for the rest of the season. Happy Christmas.

I think most accept you played very well and deserved it yesterday. In fact if United or Chelsea had scored your second goal it would have been replayed over and over again. Although we didnt perform I can accept defeats like yesterday when the opposition performed like you did. I like Mick Mccarthy and I was amazed how Daryl Murphy has become such a handy player this season.

Anyway good luck to all the Ipswich fans. Be good to see you join us in promotion :). You were a good footballing team as I said theres no shame when the other team played like they did.

Having been to the match yesterday. I would like to have my OPINION on yesterday's game. I don't think Ipswich were as good a footballing side a lot of people have been saying. They are extremely effective at what they do, they have no top players in there team but what they have is a team full of hard workers. They re optimised with Jay tabb a very ordinary player but man he is a hand full like a little fly you can't get rid of. They wanted everything more than us yesterday in every department. Being in the top tear in Portman road was horrific for the type of game we BOTH played with long balls as soon as it went above a certain height no one could see it, and ultimately they were better at it than us. Credit to them though a nice club with decent fans though.

Good reply Smogsterking.

I don't know if Boro attendees was correctly guessed yesterday 1111

I would ask that any member who guessed the match attendance yesterday on this thread advise me if you feel you were closest to both guesses for the super duper prize quoting post number or nearest actual total for the game

Well surprise surprise we do have an actual winner of the super duper prize and some very close runners up

Attendance was 21187 with 1111 Boro Fans (how that total came up is amazing)

Jamesp 21021

ITFC Tom 1100 Boro fans

HOS 20999 and 1001 BoroFans

But the clear winner was UweFuchshe with a 21267 total and 1105 Boro fans.

Well done prize on the way!

Courtesy follow-up time (you shouldn't have I hear you cry)!

Unsurprisingly disagree with Naughty Boy's prediction - think he may be receiving his insight from the fortune-telling fish I mentioned earlier. We've lost once in our last eighteen matches now; the assertion by opposing fans that they just had a freakishly bad day is one we're fully accustomed to by now, although I don't dispute that you contributed to your own downfall yesterday.

Also politely disagree with Raf smog's comments on us having no top players. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a better defence in the Championship either individually or collectively - Mings' absence wasn't keenly felt that's for sure. A man that has 13 goals in his last 16 games would further beg to differ I imagine, as would a No. 10 that is arguably the most talented of both squads on offer (McGoldrick will be plying his trade in the top flight next season whether Ipswich are or not; if it wasn't for Evans' deep pockets then he would be already). The true jewel of the day though was the 18-year-old that orchestrated both goals and looked effortless in possession throughout: feed the Bish, just don't advertise him on the Football League Show please Manish.

It is the above in conjunction with our workhorses that truly nails our promotion credentials to the mast, I submit. We play a brand of football that cherishes effectiveness at the expense of achieving the most style points, yet it would simply not work without the sufficient quality in the crucial areas. Indeed I felt our versatility did shine through in parts yesterday, albeit the HT scoreline and later injuries also dictated a less varied style of play over the second period; principally one of containment and easing to a comfortable finish.

Don't wax lyrical over us but equally don't dismiss the lurking quality on tap, in short (or by all means do but prepare yourself for where we may ultimately finish). Merry Christmas Boro and have a happy New Year.*

*our own good fortune permitting, subject to later disavowal in event of play-off encounter or further developments. No warranty.

Unsurprisingly disagree with Naughty Boy's prediction - think he may be receiving his insight from the fortune-telling fish I mentioned earlier. We've lost once in our last eighteen matches now; the assertion by opposing fans that they just had a freakishly bad day is one we're fully accustomed to by now, although I don't dispute that you contributed to your own downfall yesterday.

Also politely disagree with Raf smog's comments on us having no top players. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a better defence in the Championship either individually or collectively - Mings' absence wasn't keenly felt that's for sure. A man that has 13 goals in his last 16 games would further beg to differ I imagine, as would a No. 10 that is arguably the most talented of both squads on offer (McGoldrick will be plying his trade in the top flight next season whether Ipswich are or not; if it wasn't for Evans' deep pockets then he would be already). The true jewel of the day though was the 18-year-old that orchestrated both goals and looked effortless in possession throughout: feed the Bish, just don't advertise him on the Football League Show please Manish.

It is the above in conjunction with our workhorses that truly nails our promotion credentials to the mast, I submit. We play a brand of football that cherishes effectiveness at the expense of achieving the most style points, yet it would simply not work without the sufficient quality in the crucial areas. Indeed I felt our versatility did shine through in parts yesterday, albeit the HT scoreline and later injuries also dictated a less varied style of play over the second period; principally one of containment and easing to a comfortable finish.

Don't wax lyrical over us but equally don't dismiss the lurking quality on tap, in short (or by all means do but prepare yourself for where we may ultimately finish). Merry Christmas Boro and have a happy New Year.*

*our own good fortune permitting, subject to later disavowal in event of play-off encounter or further developments. No warranty.

All valid points however I can only comment on what I seen yesterday as I haven't really seen ipswich much before yesterday. Yeah your defence looked solid but I feel this was more because of how we played, long ball up head ball clear pretty much some our attacks up. The times when we ran at ipswich, Adam reach did a couple of times and beat his man comfortably.

McGoldrick really didn't look anything special based on yesterday's performance fell over (dived) in Box most notable input

I don't think based on yesterday's game that any 1st team players on view yesterday would cut it in the premiership. But if ipswich went up then as a team might cut it because of the togetherness and hard working like attitude

All valid points however I can only comment on what I seen yesterday as I haven't really seen ipswich much before yesterday. Yeah your defence looked solid but I feel this was more because of how we played, long ball up head ball clear pretty much some our attacks up. The times when we ran at ipswich, Adam reach did a couple of times and beat his man comfortably.

McGoldrick really didn't look anything special based on yesterday's performance fell over (dived) in Box most notable input

I don't think based on yesterday's game that any 1st team players on view yesterday would cut it in the premiership. But if ipswich went up then as a team might cut it because of the togetherness and hard working like attitude

Like you say, you havent seen Town play much and to be honest you can't base a whole seasons view on just one game.

Tippy tappy watford and also Wolves (who by their own fans say they play better football under jackett than they did under mccarthy) came to town in early November, both before they had started their declines. both sets of fans left the ground knowing they had played long ball for too much of the game. It's not just yourselves who have been playing long ball against us

With that in mind, it's pointing more towards the way we defended against yourselves which forced you into no-idea long balls. The first 10 minutes of both halves, you played well but once we stopped that, there was no other plan. Second half we just cruised to the end very comfortably imo. Only time I was worried was when bialkowski was in no mans land.

McGoldrick in the prem? He's rubbish.. nowhere near as good as Vossen or Tomlin. Best defence? Clearly still ours. Ayala is one of, if not the best CB in this league. Fredericks, Omerou and Gibson all young top quality players and gorgeous George the best left back in the league.

Ipswich turned down 5million for McGoldrick in the summer from Leicester.

In an age when players like Bale can command 80 million or Carroll for 25 million (!) then I can only imagine we were holding out for a little more. Yes McGoldrick has been disappointing this season (I even voted against him as being top scorer for this season back in August) but in todays money 5 million would appear a little cheap, he does have the ability, but we don't see it enough.

I think if we miss out on a promotion this season then some of the bigger clubs will make an approach for Murphy though, he's a good striker and I hope if his form continues then we can get a good price for him. (should he decide to leave)