oneBoro Forum

100% Official Unofficial Cornish Boro Match Day Thread

Boro Vs Cardiff Cardiff Cardiff

Riverside Stadium

20th January 2015

19:45

'Olright again me beauties...

So back to winning ways with a professional performance against a resilient Huddersfield Town.  We were accomplished in possession and should have scored more than the 2 goals Tomlin provided for us.  We also showed that we can handle heavy bouts of pressure, justified in the final 5 minutes with the onslaught by Hudds.  Brilliant goalkeeping and a calm and confident defence has stopped us shipping goals we would have shipped under previous regimes and would have ended up with only a point from that game.

We now move onto Vincent Tans Cardiff City Dragons, who we welcome to the Riverside on Tuesday night.  A tie that is a lot trickier then form suggests.  Before we analyse... Here's what happened in the reverse fixture...

[video=youtube]

A Kike goal - following 2 superb balls from Clayton and Adomah bought home all 3 points from a visit to Wales.  Although it does need to be said this was under Ole's reign. Slade's Cardiff will be a different proposition altogether.

Last games

Middlesbrough 2 -0 Huddersfield Town

2 Tomlin goals provided us with the win following a dominant display against Huddersfield.  Having Clayton back in the side completely changes the teams dynamic.

Norwich 3 - 2 Cardiff

Cardiff showed a fighting spirit pulling 2 goals back from 3-0 at half-time against Norwich.  Although could not find that killer instinct to find an equaliser.

What we were talking about last time?:

http://www.oneboro.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=6545

The view from the other side

http://www.cardiffcityforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=153402

Talking points

Does Tomlin retain his place?  The concensus from the Huddersfiled game is that despite his 2 goals, he dwindled in and out of the game.  There of course  "Twittergate".  Were Tomlins comments a reflection of personal issues or aimed at the team as a whole?  Will Karanka choose to have words?

How do we approach the game?  We tend to very often go for the early goal.  Cardiff recently seem to struggle early on.  Do we go for the kill from the off?  If so, do we need Bamford starting? 

Is it too early for Muzzy?

Over to you me 'ansums.  Normal talking points please.

Drekley...

Cornish

:heart:

• Like 1
  • Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Brilliant Cornish! Really chuffed this game comes so quick after our last. Hopefully that means we keep the momentum going and stick in another 2 goals (I'm hoping for atleast 1 in the first half this time though). For me Tomiln keeps his spot. You just can't take someone out of the team after banging in 2 goals. But I would like to see him stay higher up the pitch and really leave his mark on the game.

Hoping for Clayton and Kike to get our goals, with Tomlin and Reach getting the assists.

It's going to be a very tough game, but one that I think we will rise to. UTB!

Maybe muzzy on the bench? Just to get us all excited!! :D

A win will temporarily take us into the auto spots so I'm going for 2-0 to the Boro. cant let such a chance pass and will put a lot of pressure on Ipswich and derby before they play Wednesday. And Bournemouth are away to Leeds which could perhaps be tricky as any away game in this league is.

A win will temporarily take us into the auto spots so I'm going for 2-0 to the Boro. cant let such a chance pass and will put a lot of pressure on Ipswich and derby before they play Wednesday. And Bournemouth are away to Leeds which could perhaps be tricky as any away game in this league is.

Would be brilliant to put some pressure on our rivals wouldn't it? So far, if memory serves me right, when we have had te chance to do this earlier in the season we have failed? So now it's time to stick the pressure on them and sit back and watch me thinks!

A rarity for me to open with my seldom used phrase but without doubt this game is THE MOST IMPORTANT GAME OF THE SEASON.........so far!!!!

Why? I hear you ask well for the following reasons.

A win will put us into second spot for our familiar 24 hour period (would be nice for that to last a bit longer) on goal difference with Ipswich playing Brighton away the following night.

The weekend where we play Man City the following important to us league games occur

Norwich V Brentford

Watford V Blackpool

Wolves V Charlton

So a win will ensure the current points difference remains intact though both Norwich and Watford games ending in a draw would suit be down to the ground.

Another reason (and Uwe will hate me saying this) is that Bournemouth play at Elland Road on Tuesday night and I will never get behind a Leeds team more than that day...........Come on Leeds!

Another reason is that we do follow our latest win with another for confidence purposes and to further the fortress Riverside feel.

Cardiff will not be push overs and will feel that they owe us one but they are not great on the road therefore IF we take early chances then we can go on and dominate the game in the way AK and the fans would want.

We are entering into that "crucial period" where once again Boro can be right in the thick of it and within a point or two of the automatic places.

Brighton and Leeds..............yes please!

Would be brilliant to put some pressure on our rivals wouldn't it? So far, if memory serves me right, when we have had te chance to do this earlier in the season we have failed? So now it's time to stick the pressure on them and sit back and watch me thinks!

I wouldn't say failed, we went top of the league when we beat Derby in the early kick off. However we've been Hit and Miss due to those draws. But you are right about us keeping pressure on and I'd love to see another 3 league wins on the bounce. Also like to see us close in on Bournemouths goal difference so a 3-0 would be nice and achievable too

I wouldn't say failed, we went top of the league when we beat Derby in the early kick off. However we've been Hit and Miss due to those draws. But you are right about us keeping pressure on and I'd love to see another 3 league wins on the bounce. Also like to see us close in on Bournemouths goal difference so a 3-0 would be nice and achievable too

I think I used the wrong word there in "failed". Would just really love to see how those teams around us do with a bit of added extra pressure as we enter the "crucial stage" as DS points out :)

Reading the Cardiff fans forum most seem to think they will be put to the sword with a 4-0 Boro win the final score.

Someone mentioned on the Huddersfield thread that they thought that some team soon would be subject to a high scoring Boro win and clearly if we do take our chances then that opinion could very well be right.

Millwall away and we did take most chances that were presented, we have not done that at home apart from Norwich and Brentford so a performance like that is overdue.

this is NOT meant to be percieved as a negative response and im hoping for a good win

but....tbh of all the home fixtures we have left this is the one im most worried about regarding not getting 3 points.

just probably personal reasons based on

1...i dont think ill ever get over the cup loss  in the quarter final i think about 7or8 yeras ago when we lost 2-0 at home to them   thats probably the most depressed ive ever been at a defeat  cos we really could have won the cup that year .

2... before a ball was kicked this season Cardiff were favourites to win tis league and  i believe we shoudnt  base possible complacency on thier reletively poor position  . they have 3 0r 4 very dangerous players  who are a***st the best in this division  and  seem to be slowly healing the major rifts that were the cause of thier lack of togetherness in the early stages of the season .  mainly due to the running of the club.

but  vincent tan is still there and AK is a far superior tactician than Slade  and if we go about the game the same as we did against Derby we will  win it .    ill just be glad to get this one out of the way .

praying for a win   ...anything will do     ......

this is NOT meant to be percieved as a negative response and im hoping for a good win

but....tbh of all the home fixtures we have left this is the one im most worried about regarding not getting 3 points.

just probably personal reasons based on

1...i dont think ill ever get over the cup loss  in the quarter final i think about 7or8 yeras ago when we lost 2-0 at home to them   thats probably the most depressed ive ever been at a defeat  cos we really could have won the cup that year .

2... before a ball was kicked this season Cardiff were favourites to win tis league and  i believe we shoudnt  base possible complacency on thier reletively poor position  . they have 3 0r 4 very dangerous players  who are a***st the best in this division  and  seem to be slowly healing the major rifts that were the cause of thier lack of togetherness in the early stages of the season .  mainly due to the running of the club.

but  vincent tan is still there and AK is a far superior tactician than Slade  and if we go about the game the same as we did against Derby we will  win it .    ill just be glad to get this one out of the way .

praying for a win   ...anything will do     ......

Imo looking at the rest of our home games I would say Cardiff will be the toughest game because I think they have the best squad of players... Saying that they are in poor form so it could be one of the easiest.

Very tempted to go to this game.

With the games coming so quickly, we definitely have the advantage if we compare Team Buses.

Cardiff's team bus mileage Saturday-Tuesday: 819 miles in 4 days

Cardiff -> Norwich

Norwich -> Cardiff

Cardiff -> Boro

Boro's team bus mileage Saturday-Tuesday: 0 miles in 4 days

Boro -> Boro

Boro -> Boro

Boro -> Boro

With the games coming so quickly, we definitely have the advantage if we compare Team Buses.

Cardiff's team bus mileage Saturday-Tuesday: 819 miles in 4 days

Cardiff -> Norwich

Norwich -> Cardiff

Cardiff -> Boro

Boro's team bus mileage Saturday-Tuesday: 0 miles in 4 days

Boro -> Boro

Boro -> Boro

Boro -> Boro

It's good 20-25 miles to hurworth ;)

I think AK might make a few changes for this one. And I know that may not sit too well with the 'never change a winning team' crowd, but I think that Reach and Vossen may have been benched with half an eye on this one. However, seeing as Kike and Tomlin had their best games in a little while, I think it now may be difficult for AK to leave them out. I'm going to hazard a guess at the team, but would not be surprised to see the same XI line up.

Dimi

Kalas

Gibson

Ayala

Friend

Leadbitter

Clayton

Reach

Tomlin

Bamford

Kike

This is just a stab in the dark, and could be completely different!

Going for another 2-0. Reach first and then Kike to end his drought.