oneBoro Forum

Boro Vs Brentford (Away) 1-0

I hate people picking Bamford out wide. He's clearly a striker and has primarily scored his goals when he has played through the middle

Thats not true though is it....by my reckoning, hes got 5 from the RW and 5 from CF.

Brentford - CF

Norwich - RW

City - RW

Liverpool - CF

Wigan - RW

Derby - CF

Rotherham - CF

Blackburn - RW

Cardiff - RW

Millwall - CF

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

He's scored as much when started out wide rather than playing out wide. You surely can't say he scored his goal at City because he was playing out wide, he was standing on the centre circle when that phase of play started. Plus didn't he start up front at City?

Nah he started in the right. Like I said I prefer him down the centre but AK won't really budge on his 1 striker system and when Bamford has played up top on his own with adomah reach and Tonmlin behind him he has been a bit pants. Vossen and kike can't really play wide and and our wide men don't get goals. So I think that's why he puts him there. Especially with tomlin coming into form.

But yeah back to the original point. Even though he ran from a central area In a way he wouldn't of got that goal against City if he wasn't picked on the right. because AK wouldn't of even have had him on the pitch if he wasn't playing on the right, for reasons I mentioned above i.e. AK wouldn't have played him up top on his own and AK wouldnt have played 2 up top. Especially against City.

Bamford regularly acts as a second striker though. One thing I noticed from the City match was that we often had no outlet down the right flank, forcing Whitehead to push further up than he looked comfortable doing. We had Adomah pushing down the left and a big empty space over on the right for much of the game

I know that was a concern of mine at half time. Whitehead can't get up and down like a full back needs to with some like Bamford out wide who regularly going in central areas. If you have a full back that can though it can work very well as you don't loose width and gain a man in the opposition box that is hard to pick up. Obviously muller and the full backs at Bayern and for Germany are a great example

Doubt Forshaw will be in the squad after just signing, heard earlier in the week that Fredricks could be back for this one, hope so anyway.

Wonder if we will see Carayol back on the bench, played 60 mins for the reserves the other day. Would be harsh to change anyone from Saturday, would like to see Kike start though, perfect chance to get his season started again

Woodgate or Omerou to replace Ayala, Dimi back in for Mejias too.

Wow our squad depth really is unbelievable :D

Bamford's done a great job playing right of the striker. I don't see any reason to change that when he's scoring and we're winning games.

There really is no excuse for Karanka this season. The squad we have is fantastic. You couldn't have asked for more from Steve Gibson.

I think some people are missing the point with why Bamford has been playing on the right.

It allows us to have two strikers on the pitch instead of one, and when we are in possession/attacking, Bamford has a license to drift in from the flanks and make runs in between full backs and defenders. When we are out of possession, Bamford will take up a position in right midfield to allow us to keep a solid, tight defensive shape.

Obviously the idea of this is to have an attacking right back on the pitch (Damia, Fredericks, Nsue) to provide the width that previous posters have said we were lacking in the first half (I agree), rather than having a defensive and central player playing out there (Whitehead, Kalas, Rhys).

Set up to be a cracking game this winner goes into top 2 for at least a couple of hours if we play like we have done recently we are more than capable of getting a result against an in form Brentford

I'd go with:

Dimi, Fredericks, Kalas/Omeruo, Gibson, Friend, Clayton, Leadbitter, Adomah, Tomlin, Bamford, Kike