oneBoro Forum

Boro V Birmingham City (A) 1-1

First 15 mins we were really good, direct and causing them problems. Then we sank to their level. Because they weren't really pressing us, taking 2-3 touches became the norm. This slowed our play down and caused us to make that extra pass in the final third. This let Brum grow into the game and they started to gain possession. We seemed happy with this because their possession never looked like hurting us and it was obvious the only way for them to score would be from our own doing. Cue a Gibbo howler, blatantly ***ing it and didn't check his shoulders and played Dimi a half ***d back pass which to his credit Donaldson (I think) read really well and the rest was history.

Second half we had 10 different men. Birmingham were happy with what they had got and started playing for time almost immediately from the restart. So this was our turn to grow into the game. Adomah was the most positive influence and we started getting forward. However being a man light was obviously hurting us as either poor Paddy was very isolated (and getting the crap kicked out of him) or just no one was in the box. When the goal came it really hurt Birmingham and they really did push for a second goal themselves. So with that and even with 10 men it always looked like us that was most likely to score.

Under the circumstances I'll take that point but we really did let a poor brummy side off the hook.

A few things I read on the thread that I disagree with. Paddy is always losing possession. In. The first half yes but so was all of our forward players, Vossen, Tomlin, even gorgeous and fredrick's when they got forward. In the second half he was all by himself but did his job brilliantly and never stopped running and tracking back.

Tomlin is lazy..... What a load of codswallop, he was our most forward thinking player. The man only ever goes forward and will take players on or find that neat little pass to let others in. I don't know who will get the credit for the assist for Paddys goal but the whole move started with Tommo driving forward from the halfway and getting the ball to feet to someone (Grant I think) in the box.

Anyways about Birmingham. Cottrill is comedy to watch from a opponents point of view. His shooting/crossing is abysmal and am sure one shot went out for a throw in. But Gray is a very tidy player two quick feet and I can see why they turned £5million down for him as he has bags of potential unfortunately I don't think he'll be there next season. As they are almost certainly need to cash in on him

Finally on the referee I'm going to quote big Ron Atkinson

"I never comment on the referees performance. And I'm not gonna change a habit of a lifetime for that PRAT"

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point for us last night and if we didn't start so brightly and concede the way we did, I think most people would have settled for a point before the game after Sunday....Insert **FA CUP hangover cliché**

Ref. sounded terrible, but it sounds like he got the most important decision right.

So now with two of key members of out back 5 absent (Ayala and Dimi) are we as defensively sound as we once were? TM sounded solid again last night, are we now more confident with him? How many games does Dimi miss?

The squad rotation needs to happen for Saturday as we've played 45 mins with 10 men. I fully expect Kike, Clayton, AA and Reach to start.

Others have mentioned dimi will only miss the one game as it wasnt violent conduct. I think i would have been happy with 4 points out of this week, although considering how it sounded like we were playing in that second half, im gutted for the lads they couldnt grab the win

People who were at the game - how was Mejias in the second half? Listened to the last half an hour or so on Boro+ after work, but he was only really mentioned when taking goal kicks.

Hi All,

I've viewed this forum for a while but thought it was time to weigh in with my thoughts from last night. It was another slow and sloppy first half performance. Once again AK seemed to rejuvenate the boys after HT and we were a completely different side. Considering we were playing with 10 men we battled well and the team worked their absolute socks off. Was nice to see Nsue back, and I thought Tomlin was excellent - when he ran at the Birmingham defence he left them clueless but we just seemed to make a few poor decisions in the final 3rd.

The referee was absolutely atrocious - I swear Ken ended up getting booked for a tough but fair tackle after being fouled himself in the first place and some of his other decisions were just unexplainable. Hope to never have him for another game this season.

Would like to see the extended highlights (to clarify our offside goal and penalty claim) because being behind the goal didn't give us the best view if anyone has a link?

Great point given the circumstances.

Onto Leeds Saturday. UTB.

I don't think we should use the referee as an excuse. He got the game changing decision correct. Let's face facts we were our own worst enemy with that 1st half performance.

Credit to us for pulling ourselves back in to the game. We need to learn from our mistakes not use excuses to cover them up.

I haven't seen people blaming the ref for our performance. They are just pointing out that he was very poor, which the commentators last night also pointed out. On numerous occasions they pointed out that he had lost the game and didn't know what was going on using his whistle at random.

Even though the ref sounded very poor I think the fact we were the better team with 10 men just shows how poor Birmingham are..... If Gibson didn't mess up I think we would of went on to win the game easily and the ref wouldn't be an issue... One bad mistake cost us 2 points imo...... Gibson will bounce back hes a top player and after the sending off he and the rest of the players were brilliant...... Lets take out some frustration by hammering Leeds.

Come off it Dane. Twitter/oneBoro has been rife with referee criticism.

And rightly so. Granted I didn't see the game but only listened to Ali and Maddison. You can criticise the ref for being *** without blaming him for us "only" getting a draw. People are recognising that we were poor in the first half, and that it was a pen and a red. Our own mistakes cost us 2 points. Not the ref. But he was still ***.

I've said before the ref got the sending off/penalty right. But that's about it. He constantly broke up play for blowing up for 50/50 tackles and ball watched so much he missed all the off the ball antics including bam bam getting a elbow in the face off the ball.

Did it change the outcome? Probably not. But don't tell us not to criticise him because I know if I did a days work like he did last night I'd be stood to attention in the bosses office now, having my balls handed back to me