oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Leeds (H) 0-1

Ben Gibson has been brilliant other than against Blackburn and Birmingham. Meijas has been a calamity in the vast majority of the 6 league games that he has started this season, costing us a massive amount of vital, possibly promotion deciding points in the process. So there's a massive difference.

Jason Steele, an academy graduate, faced massive criticism when he made errors after he first come into the team, so it's not one rule for locals and another for everyone else.

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Absolutely sick of the way people jump on Mejias' back.

Apart from a great first half againt Man City what has he done?? I'll give prise when it earned not just for the sake of it!!

since he came back into the team he has looked good including 2 good displays against 2 of the countries top teams, he looked good today too minus a questionable throw (which wasnt just his fault)

He doesnt deserve huge praise, no one is saying that. The criticism he is getting is a complete joke though 

Fair enough, we'll have to agree to disagree. It's still nice to have a reasoned debate with another (fairly ;) ) reasoned boro fan after a very very frustrating afternoon where we should've won.

I'm sure that you won't be thinking of but don't  change the way you post mate, I got a little bit annoyed earlier at the wording of one of your posts but having read that back I may have overreacted a bit. Keep it up as even though I often disagree with them it's nice to read posts with a lot of well thought out arguments.

I sure we can all agree that someone as arrogant as me won't be changing  ;)  I don't know what it was that I said but it may well have been condescending to be fair.  I don't deny posting like that sometimes, I just know that I'm not the only one that does but I am the one that seems to get grief for it from certain people.  I also know that a lot of the time it's not meant like that.  I'm also careful to not insult people or make it personal.  Thanks for your kind words and the same goes to you.

Absolutely sick of the way people jump on Mejias' back.

Yeah, I know he feels :)

so it's not one rule for locals and another for everyone else.

It really is, Gibson has made 2 huge mistakes recently and they have barely been mentioned, Kike misses a chance and the forum goes into meltdown. Reach has barely been criticised despite being awful for months, Leadbitter/Mejias combined to make a mistake and leadbitters name is barely mentioned, someone is suggesting we cancel the keepers contract.

There is a trend here

and thats before I even mention Mowbray almost relegating us and getting no criticism whilst Karanka was being questioned about 2 months in

Ben Gibson has been brilliant other than against Blackburn and Birmingham. Meijas has been a calamity in the vast majority of the 6 league games that he has started this season, costing us a massive amount of vital, possibly promotion deciding points in the process. So there's a massive difference.

Jason Steele, an academy graduate, faced massive criticism when he made errors after he first come into the team, so it's not one rule for locals and another for everyone else.

How many points has he actually cost us though? It's only the two games against leeds where an error by him has directly lead to a goal. Against Sheff wed our defending was embarrasing to be honest, and Reading was no better, Meijas wasn't directly at fault for any of the goals in those two game as far as I remember (I may be wrong but that's how I remember it). So, assuming what I've just said is correct, Meijas has cost us 2 points, given that without his errors in the two Leeds games we would have drawn both matches 0-0.

Ok I've just watched it again on the FLS. Leadbitter clearly isn't looking at Mejias, I don't think he wants the ball at all. Watch from the angle behind Mejias and Leadbitter is looking to his right and then only looks at Mejias as he's throwing it to him. He isn't calling for the ball and his reaction to me looks startled, which is why he's on his heels as he's simply not expecting it. I think he's looking over at Friend as that is where he's expecting the ball to be thrown. This is just my opinion.

It really is, Gibson has made 2 huge mistakes recently and they have barely been mentioned, Kike misses a chance and the forum goes into meltdown. Reach has barely been criticised despite being awful for months, Leadbitter/Mejias combined to make a mistake and leadbitters name is barely mentioned, someone is suggesting we cancel the keepers contract.

There is a trend here

and thats before I even mention Mowbray almost relegating us and getting no criticism whilst Karanka was being questioned about 2 months in

You've chosen to ignore my very relevant point about Steele facing huge criticism when he came into the side. Meijas has cost us the most points in the fewest amount of games ever since I've supported us. He's has been a total calamity this season. Reach has faced plenty of criticism, you're just ignoring it as it would damage you're point, just as you're ignoring how brilliant Gibson has been other than them two games against Blackpool and Birmingham.

Seen as you like trends - how about the 6 league games that Meijas has started we've lost 4 of them(66.7% loss rate), whereas in Dimi's 26 league starts we've lost just 2(8% loss rate). There's a clear trend there isn't there.

How many points has he actually cost us though? It's only the two games against leeds where an error by him has directly lead to a goal. Against Sheff wed our defending was embarrasing to be honest, and Reading was no better, Meijas wasn't directly at fault for any of the goals in those two game as far as I remember (I may be wrong but that's how I remember it). So, assuming what I've just said is correct, Meijas has cost us 2 points, given that without his errors in the two Leeds games we would have drawn both matches 0-0.

Sheff Wed away last season, he comes for a cross, he doesn't quite get there, the ball drops someone shoots and hits Butterfield on the arm for a penalty.  Sheff Wed at home he was responsible for one of the goals even if the defending was a shambles.  I think you could possibly draw a direct line between him being between the sticks and our defending being poor at the beginning of the season as I don't believe there was a lot of confidence in him.  I also don't think you can state with certainty that today would have finished 0-0 had we not conceded when we did.  The game would have developed differently, for all I know we still might have lost of course but it without that increasing desperation to get a winner, maybe we'd have stayed relaxed enough to carve out a good chance and take it?

I like the comparison with the Burnley away game last season.  They battered us but we nicked a winner.  In the end it didn't cost them.  We still have more than enough games to make sure this doesn't cost us, whoever is/was to blame.

There is a trend here

You've chosen to ignore my very relevant point about Steele facing huge criticism when he came into the side. Meijas has cost us the most points in the fewest amount of games ever since I've supported us. He's has been a total calamity this season. Reach has faced plenty of criticism, you're just ignoring it as it would damage you're point, just as you're ignoring how brilliant Gibson has been other than them two games against Blackpool and Birmingham.

Seen as you like trends - how about the 6 league games that Meijas has started we've lost 4 of them(66.7% loss rate), whereas in Dimi's 26 league starts we've lost just 2(8% loss rate). There's a clear trend there isn't there.

Steele faced no where near the levels of criticism that Mejias is facing despite making many arguably bigger mistakes, just look at the reaction when we sold him.

Gibson has come on alot this season but without a quality defender alongside him (Ayala) he has looked totally lost in the last few games

Today is the first time I have seen Reach properly criticised by more than a few people despite him being awful for a good few months 

Of course Dimi is the better keeper, Mejias has only ever played a few first team games in his whole career, what do you expect?! He did cost us points at the start of the season but anyone can see that he is improving.

What about the points Gibson cost us on Wednesday, I havnt seen that mentioned a great deal. You cant slate one player for making mistakes but choose to ignore another players mistakes. Certain members of our squad really do get unfair criticism whilst others are immune from it

Off of the top of my head:

*Leeds(away): Fumble for Sharp's goal - 1 point

*Sheffield Wednesday(home): Feeble goal keeping for their first two goals - 3 points

*Leeds(home): Mistake for first goal which totally - 1 point

When he has been in goal the defence looks nervous with him behind them, and has a negative impact on the team, in particular getting heads to set-pieces and crosses. Also as CT said games would have developed differently. Like today after Leeds' goal they had a lead to dig in for which raised their performance and were harder to break down. We could have went on to win it.

Off of the top of my head:

*Leeds(away): Fumble for Sharp's goal - 1 point

*Sheffield Wednesday(home): Feeble goal keeping for their first two goals - 3 points

*Leeds(home): Mistake for first goal which totally - 1 point

When he has been in goal the defence looks nervous with him behind them, and has a negative impact on the team, in particular getting heads to set-pieces and crosses. Also as CT said games would have developed differently. Like today after Leeds' goal they had a lead to dig in for which raised their performance and were harder to break down. We could have went on to win it.

With an honours degree in hindsight anything's possible ☻ 

It was freak result yesterday and best forgotten.

There's always good comes out of bad. Onward and upward...

There is a trend here

Steele faced no where near the levels of criticism that Mejias is facing despite making many arguably bigger mistakes, just look at the reaction when we sold him.

Gibson has come on alot this season but without a quality defender alongside him (Ayala) he has looked totally lost in the last few games

Today is the first time I have seen Reach properly criticised by more than a few people despite him being awful for a good few months 

Of course Dimi is the better keeper, Mejias has only ever played a few first team games in his whole career, what do you expect?! He did cost us points at the start of the season but anyone can see that he is improving.

What about the points Gibson cost us on Wednesday, I havnt seen that mentioned a great deal. You cant slate one player for making mistakes but choose to ignore another players mistakes. Certain members of our squad really do get unfair criticism whilst others are immune from it

The criticism was similar. Mowbray received criticism too for exposing Steele to the first team too early. When he was sold the fans weren't happy as Steele went on to prove himself to be a decent goalkeeper over a few seasons, only to be ruthlessly frozen out by Karanka. A lot of it was about the manner.

I have said many critical points about Reach this season, and I've seen plenty of others criticise him. Being a goalkeeper is an unforgiving area. If you're a winger like Reach then a mistake won't be exposed in such a way as a goalkeepers is where the majority of times it will result in a goal.

Yes Meijas is showing some signs of improving but just as one weakness improves, there's another waiting to be exposed. Yes many we're suggesting leaving Gibson out of the Leeds game. Gibson has had his fair share of criticism.

I wasn't saying that we definitely wouldn't have scored today, or in any of the other games, but the only way to assess how many points he has directly cost us is to remove the goals that he has been at fault for and look at what the result would be. Thinking back he was at fault for the first Sheff wed goal, where he came to claim it on a corner and flapped at it, but none of the others in my opinion. So that'd be 3 points that he has directly cost us this season.

I also like the comparison with us at burnley last season CT, thinking back the two games were remarkably similar actually.

I wasn't saying that we definitely wouldn't have scored today, or in any of the other games, but the only way to assess how many points he has directly cost us is to remove the goals that he has been at fault for and look at what the result would be. Thinking back he was at fault for the first Sheff wed goal, where he came to claim it on a corner and flapped at it, but none of the others in my opinion. So that'd be 3 points that he has directly cost us this season.

I also like the comparison with us at burnley last season CT, thinking back the two games were remarkably similar actually.

From six and a half games, which is I think where the issue is for some people.  Three points over a season would be nothing but out of a small handful of games it seems disproportionate when compared with others or what you'd expect from a decent keeper.