oneBoro Forum

Boro v Ipswich 4-1

Boro v Ipswich.... Win, Lose or Draw?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Boro v Ipswich.... Win, Lose or Draw?

My goodness did we need that.

A great result and an important win in terms of confidence whilst turning the screw on the chasing pack. We've been in their position before it's disheartening to see a team pull clear knowing you have to win just to keep in touching distance.

Lets not let the overall result take away from the first half performance. We weren't at the races without the ball. Probably one of the worst performances i've seen from us without the ball all season.

We knew what Ipswich are about the play long balls and poach the 2nd ball. We dealt with the long balls, but we were far too slow to anticipate 2nd balls. This gave them possession in dangerous territory. As we know, we like to defend the ball high up the pitch away from our goal. Not dealing with their 2nd balls meant we put ourselves under too much pressure. It wouldn't have been unfair on us to have gone in 2-1 down at half time.

Leadbitter and Clayton struggled to get hold of the ball and when they did Ipswich did a great job of closing out our out balls. We panicked and forced a chance ball far too often. This resulted in us giving away possession and receiving a long ball.

Fortunately, the way Ipswich play means there's often space in the middle/final third to carry the ball into. Adomah utilised thise space time and time again. He was our shining light first half. Reach carried the ball too but has clearly lost confidence in his ability to beat a man 1 on 1. He's more than capable of doing so, but he doesn't believe in himself and his game is really struggling because of it. Vossen worked hard and Bamford battled against a physical defence.

We've given Karanka criticism over the last month and rightly so may i add, but you have to give him credit for creating a platform for the win by means of our corner set pieces. Superbly worked on both occasions. We earned that bit of luck for Adomah's second.

Second half was a much improved performance brought about through a focus on stopping Ipswich picking up loose balls and playing a more composed passing game. It allowed us to exploit the space Ipswich were leaving through pushing men forward chasing the ball. If truth be told Ipswich got slack in their defensive duties, fortunately we have the type of players that can exploit that. Adomah was fantastic all afternoon. Bamford was a presence upfront and Vossen forced errors from defenders trying to play long balls.

I'd also give huge credit to Woodgate for creating a calm and confident performance from the defence. For me i'd leave him in for Derby. His experience could be crucial in the run in, particularly if Ayala is out for a few games. He's been there done it and got the t shirt.

A fantastic centre forward display from Bamford. His physical game was excellent. He won a lot of aerials balls which might have gone unnoticed nut it was crucial in releasing pressure on a defence under bombardment from long balls.

All in all a crucial result that is certain to restore confidence and put the chasing pack under pressure. The Boro are back and just in the knick of time.

• Like 2
  • Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Cracking result.

Bamford just shown why we need to start him up top for the remaining games, his play and intelligence was a different class.

Adomah looked much better on the right when swapped mid way through the first half, terrorised there defence.

Man of the match for me was woody, unexpectedly thrown in when Ayala got injured and at a time we looked all over the place. He just calmed things down and let nothing past him.

Referee...joke absolute joke. No idea what he was doing, other than confusing everyone as he had no idea. Missed some pretty blatant infringements, no excuse for some of them.

All in all, excellent win, onto Derby, 9 to go

A great result and an important win in terms of confidence whilst turning the screw on the chasing pack. We've been in their position before it's disheartening to see a team pull clear knowing you have to win just to keep in touching distance.

Lets not let the overall result take away from the first half performance. We weren't at the races without the ball. Probably one of the worst performances i've seen from us without the ball all season.

We knew what Ipswich are about the play long balls and poach the 2nd ball. We dealt with the long balls, but we were far too slow to anticipate 2nd balls. This gave them possession in dangerous territory. As we know, we like to defend the ball high up the pitch away from our goal. Not dealing with their 2nd balls meant we put ourselves under too much pressure. It wouldn't have been unfair on us to have gone in 2-1 down at half time.

Leadbitter and Clayton struggled to get hold of the ball and when they did Ipswich did a great job of closing out our out balls. We panicked and forced a chance ball far too often. This resulted in us giving away possession and receiving a long ball.

Fortunately, the way Ipswich play means there's often space in the middle/final third to carry the ball into. Adomah utilised thise space time and time again. He was our shining light first half. Reach carried the ball too but has clearly lost confidence in his ability to beat a man 1 on 1. He's more than capable of doing so, but he doesn't believe in himself and his game is really struggling because of it. Vossen worked hard and Bamford battled against a physical defence.

We've given Karanka criticism over the last month and rightly so may i add, but you have to give him credit for creating a platform for the win by means of our corner set pieces. Superbly worked on both occasions. We earned that bit of luck for Adomah's second.

Second half was a much improved performance brought about through a focus on stopping Ipswich picking up loose balls and playing a more composed passing game. It allowed us to exploit the space Ipswich were leaving through pushing men forward chasing the ball. If truth be told Ipswich got slack in their defensive duties, fortunately we have the type of players that can exploit that. Adomah was fantastic all afternoon. Bamford was a presence upfront and Vossen forced errors from defenders trying to play long balls.

I'd also give huge credit to Woodgate for creating a calm and confident performance from the defence. For me i'd leave him in for Derby. His experience could be crucial in the run in, particularly if Ayala is out for a few games. He's been there done it and got the t shirt.

A fantastic centre forward display from Bamford. His physical game was excellent. He won a lot of aerials balls which might have gone unnoticed nut it was crucial in releasing pressure on a defence under bombardment from long balls.

All in all a crucial result that is certain to restore confidence and put the chasing pack under pressure. The Boro are back and just in the knick of time.

Agree with this word for word, cracking post

match ratings

Dimi 5 - at fault for their first along with the midfield.

Kalas 7 - deliberate ploy from Karanka in playing four "centre halves" capable of attacking the long ball. Did well defensively.

Ayala 7 - In the right place at the right time for first goal.

Gibson 7 - didn't put a foot wrong. crucial following the last month

Friend 7 - supported wide men well and flawless defensively.

Clayton 6 - a bit sloppy first half but resumed normal practise second half.

Leadbitter 7 - two well worked first half goals, but similar to Clayton suffered from Ipswich's long ball game.

Reach 5 - Defensively not great. Carried the ball to the defender well but failed to make any further progress. a day to forget.

Adomah 8 MOTM - A danger during almost every attack. Tried his best to get Bamford his hat trick.

Vossen 7 - worked tirelessly for the team and helped create space for Bamford

Bamford 8 - Make no mistake. Two FANTASTIC goals. Worked hard as the sole CF. A great performance.

Woodgate 8 - Deserves all the credit for settling defence down. Reads the game like a Mr Men book.

Nsue 6 - Missed a sitter from 6 yards out.

Forshaw 6 - tidy but made no real impact other than shoring things up.

What a result I had to listen to most of it but saw the last 15 mins or so and it was a game that played right into our hands. They had to commit players and we just ripped them to pieces. Now just need a couple of favours and it will be the perfect day..

This type of performance against Derby and we will win.

Very good assessment there. Today we were clinical in front of goal and I echo all who have praised Woodgate we looked very shaky until he came on, after he came on we looked the team that has conceded so few this season. Also Kevin Bacon at right back had a good game. Adomah also looked back to his best arguably my man of the match today despite Bamfords two special goals.

One of the strangest games seen in a long time and one where we could and really should have won by 6 goals, but will take this result all day long.

And you just know we can play better than this

what a start, Ayala is back and scored already, we have missed him big time, now lets grab a fee more and put this to bed,

this is my first post on here after viewing as a guest for a few months, UTB!

edit: wtf, well that lasted long, smh

Welcome to the forum and a great day to start your first posts :)