oneBoro Forum

Boro v Ipswich 4-1

Boro v Ipswich.... Win, Lose or Draw?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Boro v Ipswich.... Win, Lose or Draw?

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

My goodness did we need that.

A great result and an important win in terms of confidence whilst turning the screw on the chasing pack. We've been in their position before it's disheartening to see a team pull clear knowing you have to win just to keep in touching distance.

Lets not let the overall result take away from the first half performance. We weren't at the races without the ball. Probably one of the worst performances i've seen from us without the ball all season.  

We knew what Ipswich are about the play long balls and poach the 2nd ball. We dealt with the long balls, but we were far too slow to anticipate 2nd balls. This gave them possession in dangerous territory. As we know, we like to defend the ball high up the pitch away from our goal. Not dealing with their 2nd balls meant we put ourselves under too much pressure. It wouldn't have been unfair on us to have gone in 2-1 down at half time.

Leadbitter and Clayton struggled to get hold of the ball and when they did Ipswich did a great job of closing out our out balls. We panicked and forced a chance ball far too often. This resulted in us giving away possession and receiving a long ball.

Fortunately, the way Ipswich play means there's often space in the middle/final third to carry the ball into. Adomah utilised thise space time and time again. He was our shining light first half. Reach carried the ball too but has clearly lost confidence in his ability to beat a man 1 on 1. He's more than capable of doing so, but he doesn't believe in himself and his game is really struggling because of it. Vossen worked hard and Bamford battled against a physical defence.

We've given Karanka criticism over the last month and rightly so may i add, but you have to give him credit for creating a platform for the win by means of our corner set pieces. Superbly worked on both occasions. We earned that bit of luck for Adomah's second.

Second half was a much improved performance brought about through a focus on stopping Ipswich picking up loose balls and playing a more composed passing game. It allowed us to exploit the space Ipswich were leaving through pushing men forward chasing the ball. If truth be told Ipswich got slack in their defensive duties, fortunately we have the type of players that can exploit that. Adomah was fantastic all afternoon. Bamford was a presence upfront and Vossen forced errors from defenders trying to play long balls.

I'd also give huge credit to Woodgate for creating a calm and confident performance from the defence. For me i'd leave him in for Derby. His experience could be crucial in the run in, particularly if Ayala is out for a few games. He's been there done it and got the t shirt.

A fantastic centre forward display from Bamford. His physical game was excellent. He won a lot of aerials balls which might have gone unnoticed nut it was crucial in releasing pressure on a defence under bombardment from long balls.

All in all a crucial result that is certain to restore confidence and put the chasing pack under pressure. The Boro are back and just in the knick of time.

Agree with this word for word, cracking post

I agree with your agreement. Spot on.

Can someone please explain to me what Adam Reach does?

Unfortunately reminds everyone that at the moment he is not improving as much as we all had hoped and really should not be in the team.

Feel so sorry for the lad but how many times as he slipped up or miss controlled the ball or simply shot when he should have done :shy:

One of the strangest games seen in a long time and one where we could and really should have won by 6 goals, but will take this result all day long.

And you just know we can play better than this

Mmmm

Pretty passing football  = draws and defeats.

Ugly football = wins like today....... Yes please.

I just wish we had a decent left winger to supply our forwards then think of the number of goals we could score.

AK post match 'After the last month we needed a performance and we were brilliant'

Ayala has re-injured the thigh that sidelined him for seven games prior to Ipswich fixture. He said the defender would be unlikely to feature at Derby on Tuesday night.

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aitor-karanka-after-last-month-8841967

Can someone please explain to me what Adam Reach does?

Unfortunately reminds everyone that at the moment he is not improving as much as we all had hoped and really should not be in the team.

Feel so sorry for the lad but how many times as he slipped up or miss controlled the ball or simply shot when he should have done :shy:

Most frustrating player, he's a winger and yet every time he gets the ball he either loses it or takes the easy option and goes backwards.

I agree with Prowler in that it lets Adomah play right but he really isn't doing anything for the team other than maybe having another body in the defensive part of the game. Waste of a attacking position is my opinion but hey ho

Good result onto tuesday!

Am i the only one who thinks we look a lot more balanced when reach plays? While he sometimes disappoints on the ball, the overall team shape is a lot better with a natural left winger out there and hes probably the best we have. People are being too harsh on him imo.

Am i the only one who thinks we look a lot more balanced when reach plays? While he sometimes disappoints on the ball, the overall team shape is a lot better with a natural left winger out there and hes probably the best we have. People are being too harsh on him imo.

You mean naturally left footed? He's certainly not a natural left winger

We are a more balanced team with the left wing when a winger is played but sadly too many times there does seem real evidence that Reach is not up to it, hey perhaps we should play George there and bring on Husband for George's place, in fact did George earlier in his career start as a left winger?

However this really is the time to get behind every player that AK plays in any particular match :)

Agree. But reading back through this thread a few wanted Vossen off then Bamford off and then reach off. Im just glad AK is our manager and not some of the "experts" on here.

Reach lacks decisiveness, he looks to do what is easiest for him (which always seems to be take the defender down the line looking for a cross) even if we have no options in the box.

This means he has to turn back on himself 90% of the time, only for him to stumble over the ball or play it backwards. He is just a very frustrating player to watch.

Well, I have absolutely no idea how we won that 4-1, to be honest how we won at all is a bit of a mystery because we really weren't at the races for the majority of this game.

With the ball we were incredibly sloppy, the passing wasn't good enough, the pass selection was poor and our movement off the ball wasn't good enough. We lacked any kind of spark until we were 3-1 up and I don't think we had any real idea on how we were to go about winning that game. I haven't read the rest of this thread yet but that's one of the most disappointing wins I've seen in my time as a fan in some respects.

Without the ball we were similarly poor. We were off the pace and at times we looked like we'd forgotten how to defend. We seemed to be second to every ball, our defensive clearances were awful and people weren't tracking runners or simply seemed unable to get effective challenges in. What Dimi was doing for the goal I have no idea as it seemed a fairly straight forward shot. Now is not the time for him to start getting jittery. Clayton and Leadbitter in midfield were nowhere near good enough. Clayton was chasing shadows and was usually a yard or two away from any of their players, however he was doing most of the work as Leadbitter basically spent a lot of that game trying to do as little as possible. I know he has the issue of the cards hanging over him but he can't be such a waste of space in general play in future games. For a lot of that you'd have struggled to notice he was on the park and it's not the first time I've thought that in a tough game - it was the same down at Brentford where he vanished.

On the positive side of things, we won 4-1 and took three points from a team competing with us for a top six place. We added three goals to our goal difference, which may end up being useful. We scored twice from clearly designed set pieces. We were almost ridiculously clinical, other than the end where Bamford should have probably scored a couple more and Nsue with that header. Given that we haven't been clinical this season that was quite a dramatic shift for us and if that continues for the rest of the season I'm sure we'd all be delighted. Bamford did well for both of his goals as well.

Overall I honestly feel a sense of disappointment mixed with relief. If we don't sort ourselves out then we won't make the automatic places. To look as lethargic and lacking in spark after a week off is really poor in my opinion. Up until we went 3-1 up we were second best and if we play as we did for this period of the game in our next two games then I think we'll lose comfortably. We're a much better team than we're showing at the moment, I know things are tense and there is pressure but they have to find a way to deal with it and allow the real Boro to come out - defensively solid with the ability to counter attack decisively and/or the ability to dominate possession against weaker sides. It's there within us and now more than ever is when we need to see it.

Well, I have absolutely no idea how we won that 4-1, to be honest how we won at all is a bit of a mystery because we really weren't at the races for the majority of this game.

With the ball we were incredibly sloppy, the passing wasn't good enough, the pass selection was poor and our movement off the ball wasn't good enough.  We lacked any kind of spark until we were 3-1 up and I don't think we had any real idea on how we were to go about winning that game.  I haven't read the rest of this thread yet but that's one of the most disappointing wins I've seen in my time as a fan in some respects.

Without the ball we were similarly poor.  We were off the pace and at times we looked like we'd forgotten how to defend.  We seemed to be second to every ball, our defensive clearances were awful and people weren't tracking runners or simply seemed unable to get effective challenges in.  What Dimi was doing for the goal I have no idea as it seemed a fairly straight forward shot.  Now is not the time for him to start getting jittery.  Clayton and Leadbitter in midfield were nowhere near good enough.  Clayton was chasing shadows and was usually a yard or two away from any of their players, however he was doing most of the work as Leadbitter basically spent a lot of that game trying to do as little as possible.  I know he has the issue of the cards hanging over him but he can't be such a waste of space in general play in future games.  For a lot of that you'd have struggled to notice he was on the park and it's not the first time I've thought that in a tough game - it was the same down at Brentford where he vanished.

On the positive side of things, we won 4-1 and took three points from a team competing with us for a top six place.  We added three goals to our goal difference, which may end up being useful.  We scored twice from clearly designed set pieces.  We were almost ridiculously clinical, other than the end where Bamford should have probably scored a couple more and Nsue with that header.  Given that we haven't been clinical this season that was quite a dramatic shift for us and if that continues for the rest of the season I'm sure we'd all be delighted.  Bamford did well for both of his goals as well.

Overall I honestly feel a sense of disappointment mixed with relief.  If we don't sort ourselves out then we won't make the automatic places.  To look as lethargic and lacking in spark after a week off is really poor in my opinion.  Up until we went 3-1 up we were second best and if we play as we did for this period of the game in our next two games then I think we'll lose comfortably.  We're a much better team than we're showing at the moment, I know things are tense and there is pressure but they have to find a way to deal with it and allow the real Boro to come out - defensively solid with the ability to counter attack decisively and/or the ability to dominate possession against weaker sides.  It's there within us and now more than ever is when we need to see it.

I think this is an excellent post and for me and my lad perfectly summed up what we all saw today.

The one good thing about our next 2 games is that the real Boro CT is referring to has to apply and perhaps it is the right time to play them :)