oneBoro Forum

Boro v Ipswich 4-1

Boro v Ipswich.... Win, Lose or Draw?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Boro v Ipswich.... Win, Lose or Draw?

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I have absolutely no idea how we won that 4-1, to be honest how we won at all is a bit of a mystery because we really weren't at the races for the majority of this game.

With the ball we were incredibly sloppy, the passing wasn't good enough, the pass selection was poor and our movement off the ball wasn't good enough. We lacked any kind of spark until we were 3-1 up and I don't think we had any real idea on how we were to go about winning that game. I haven't read the rest of this thread yet but that's one of the most disappointing wins I've seen in my time as a fan in some respects.

Without the ball we were similarly poor. We were off the pace and at times we looked like we'd forgotten how to defend. We seemed to be second to every ball, our defensive clearances were awful and people weren't tracking runners or simply seemed unable to get effective challenges in. What Dimi was doing for the goal I have no idea as it seemed a fairly straight forward shot. Now is not the time for him to start getting jittery. Clayton and Leadbitter in midfield were nowhere near good enough. Clayton was chasing shadows and was usually a yard or two away from any of their players, however he was doing most of the work as Leadbitter basically spent a lot of that game trying to do as little as possible. I know he has the issue of the cards hanging over him but he can't be such a waste of space in general play in future games. For a lot of that you'd have struggled to notice he was on the park and it's not the first time I've thought that in a tough game - it was the same down at Brentford where he vanished.

On the positive side of things, we won 4-1 and took three points from a team competing with us for a top six place. We added three goals to our goal difference, which may end up being useful. We scored twice from clearly designed set pieces. We were almost ridiculously clinical, other than the end where Bamford should have probably scored a couple more and Nsue with that header. Given that we haven't been clinical this season that was quite a dramatic shift for us and if that continues for the rest of the season I'm sure we'd all be delighted. Bamford did well for both of his goals as well.

Overall I honestly feel a sense of disappointment mixed with relief. If we don't sort ourselves out then we won't make the automatic places. To look as lethargic and lacking in spark after a week off is really poor in my opinion. Up until we went 3-1 up we were second best and if we play as we did for this period of the game in our next two games then I think we'll lose comfortably. We're a much better team than we're showing at the moment, I know things are tense and there is pressure but they have to find a way to deal with it and allow the real Boro to come out - defensively solid with the ability to counter attack decisively and/or the ability to dominate possession against weaker sides. It's there within us and now more than ever is when we need to see it.

Look i don't want to sound like a d**k and your posts our always long and good to read but you have been saying the same thing for ages now and we are still in the auto places. Lets just wait and see at the end of the season.

We started poorly and got over-run in midfield and were last to most second balls. We were lucky that Ipswich came to attack us and left gaps for us to exploit in the final third. Our build up play was poor today and looked like the away side with our style of play. Defensively we looked by far better in the second half, where we looked by far better than in recent games. We looked like we had two good claims for penalties in the first half but I haven't had chance to watch them back. We appeared clinical, some would say fortunate to be winning, before the flurry of late chances came where we turned back to the poor finishing that has blighted our season.

Player ratings:

Dimi: 5 -Shocking basic goalkeeping for their goal. As I've said Dimi's shot stopping from distance is a pretty big weakness of his so it was no surprise that he made that sort of error for their goal. Seen as against Nottingham Forest he was apparently the victim of a witch-hunt and a lynching I don't want to sound like I want to crucify him though as I've got no intention of frogmarching him to Eston Hill's and nailing him to a cross.

Kalas: 7.5 -Defended well.

Ayala: Done well in the short time he was on. Great movement for his goal. Hopefully he won't be out for too long.

Gibson: 7.5 -Looked more assured with Ayala and then Woodgate alongside him.

Friend: 7 -Done well. Had a tough job of marking Murphy from corners.

Clayton: 7.5 -His quality and quick thinking for our opening two goals was realy good. Struggled to get a hold of the midfield battle.

Leadbitter: 7 -Done ok.

Adomah: 8.5 -Very good performance. Looked full of confidence driving at Mings, and cutting infield to get into more dangerous areas. Got a crucial goal. He's looking like he's finding form at the most important time of the season.

Vossen: 6.5 -Worked hard but didn't get into the game.

Reach: 4 -Awful performance. He started playing his conservative style, not attempting to take on players but once he tried to his lack of quality was clear as he attempted and failed to take on players. People say "he needs beat his man", well yes obviously he does, but does he have the ability to do it regularly? My answer would be no.

Bamford: 9 -Great finishing and could have had 4 goals. He made a fool our of their CB for his opener pretending to come short only to drive towards goal. Fantastic awareness.

Woodgate: 8.5 -Brilliant when he came on. Vital blocks and his know-how in defence was clear to see.

Forshaw: 7 -Some great touches and link up play when he came on. Looks a very tidy player.

Nsue: N/A

To be honest I think you are being unfair on CT because certainly first half and well into the second half this was the case, Bamfords 3rd goal killed it off but lets be honest a second and equalising Ipswich goal would not have been a surprise either.

I stated it was one of the strangest games we had seen and yep we could have won 6-1 but until that third goal it was anyones game

To be honest I think you are being unfair on CT because certainly first half and well into the second half this was the case, Bamfords 3rd goal killed it off but lets be honest a second and equalising Ipswich goal would not have been a surprise either.

I stated it was one of the strangest games we had seen and yep we could have won 6-1 but until that third goal it was anyones game

Who's being unfair on CT?

I'm not taking offence from anything that you've said, you said that someone was being unfair on CT, surely that has to be aimed at someone? I just wanted to know if you were meaning me or melchett so that I could actually respond if you were talking to me...

Lethargic? Were you watching a different game to me?

No I don't think so mate.  We were lethargic in my opinion and were comfortably second best in that game.  Ipswich as direct as they can be looked to have the greater energy.  After we went 3-1 up then it was a different story but up until that point I didn't think we had any kind of spark at all.

Look i don't want to sound like a d**k and your posts our always long and good to read but you have been saying the same thing for ages now and we are still in the auto places. Lets just wait and see at the end of the season.

Well, we won't be in the automatic places tonight as we'll be third.  And the gap that we once had to the teams below us has all but evaporated.  Doesn't that kind of prove my point or at least add some credence to it?

Just back from the game, see Reach is taking some stick, to be fair useless going f ty but he covers back well, ob obviously lacking confidence.Bamfords second was sheer class, if Messi had scored the whole world would have known, missed easier ones, thought he was going for the perfect hat tri k

We started poorly and got over-run in midfield and were last to most second balls. We were lucky that Ipswich came to attack us and left gaps for us to exploit in the final third. Our build up play was poor today and looked like the away side with our style of play. Defensively we looked by far better in the second half, where we looked by far better than in recent games. We looked like we had two good claims for penalties in the first half but I haven't had chance to watch them back. We appeared clinical, some would say fortunate to be winning, before the flurry of late chances came where we turned back to the poor finishing that has blighted our season.

Player ratings:

Dimi: 5 -Shocking basic goalkeeping for their goal. As I've said Dimi's shot stopping from distance is a pretty big weakness of his so it was no surprise that he made that sort of error for their goal. Seen as against Nottingham Forest he was apparently the victim of a witch-hunt and a lynching I don't want to sound like I want to crucify him though as I've got no intention of frogmarching him to Eston Hill's and nailing him to a cross.

Kalas: 7.5 -Defended well.

Ayala: Done well in the short time he was on. Great movement for his goal. Hopefully he won't be out for too long.

Gibson: 7.5 -Looked more assured with Ayala and then Woodgate alongside him.

Friend: 7 -Done well. Had a tough job of marking Murphy from corners.

Clayton: 7.5 -His quality and quick thinking for our opening two goals was realy good. Struggled to get a hold of the midfield battle.

Leadbitter: 7 -Done ok.

Adomah: 8.5 -Very good performance. Looked full of confidence driving at Mings, and cutting infield to get into more dangerous areas. Got a crucial goal. He's looking like he's finding form at the most important time of the season.

Vossen: 6.5 -Worked hard but didn't get into the game.

Reach: 4 -Awful performance. He started playing his conservative style, not attempting to take on players but once he tried to his lack of quality was clear as he attempted and failed to take on players. People say "he needs beat his man", well yes obviously he does, but does he have the ability to do it regularly? My answer would be no.

Bamford: 9 -Great finishing and could have had 4 goals. He made a fool our of their CB for his opener pretending to come short only to drive towards goal. Fantastic awareness.

Woodgate: 8.5 -Brilliant when he came on. Vital blocks and his know-how in defence was clear to see.

Forshaw: 7 -Some great touches and link up play when he came on. Looks a very tidy player.

Nsue: N/A

I'm devastated that you think Vossen played only to a 6.5.

I thought he was pretty great today to be honest. His vision is first class again, drawing the defender in and then flicking it through to Bamford for his goal, it was a quality ball. 

He was quick into tackles (sometimes to quick) his hold up play is pretty good too and you can see him try a lot of quick movement stuff from knock downs - a lot of which don't come off because he's seemingly a step ahead of everyone else. 

It wasn't his best game but a 6.5 is really low IMO. Now Grant, if anyone, deserves a 6.5. In fact, swap them around (maybe push Jelle up to 7.5) and I agree with your ratings.

I'm not taking offence from anything that you've said, you said that someone was being unfair on CT, surely that has to be aimed at someone? I just wanted to know if you were meaning me or melchett so that I could actually respond if you were talking to me...

I just happened to agree with CT and hey sometimes I can add my view as a forum member :D

We won plain and simple but until the 3rd goal it was anyone's game

No I don't think so mate.  We were lethargic in my opinion and were comfortably second best in that game.  Ipswich as direct as they can be looked to have the greater energy.  After we went 3-1 up then it was a different story but up until that point I didn't think we had any kind of spark at all.

I agree that we lacked a spark at times but I disagree that means that we were lethargic, I thought the team had a lot of energy and was willing to close down the ball quickly and as a unit. When we got the ball it was a different story as we didn't translate the energy that we had into good attacking play, there were an awful lot of minor individual mistakes today that weren't punished.

I just happened to agree with CT and hey sometimes I can add my view as a forum member :D

We won plain and simple but until the 3rd goal it was anyone's game

I'm not saying anyone can't express their opinion, if it came across that way I apologise but I was just a bit puzzled by the wording you used to agree with CT. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I agree that we lacked a spark at times but I disagree that means that we were lethargic, I thought the team had a lot of energy and was willing to close down the ball quickly and as a unit. When we got the ball it was a different story as we didn't translate the energy that we had into good attacking play, there were an awful lot of minor individual mistakes today that weren't punished.

Fair point Will perhaps the word careless should be more apt today and certainly second ball WAS a real issue today.

Look I am not bemoaning todays performance as we needed this result but I am looking towards a more fluent and decisive game from our team 

I thought our closing down was quite poor today to be honest, which is part of what I'm saying here.  I felt that Ipswich found it all too easy to impose their game on us.  It could just be my perception on the game though and ultimately it's just an opinion.  Lots of individual mistakes I agree completely there.