oneBoro Forum

Boro v Ipswich 4-1

Boro v Ipswich.... Win, Lose or Draw?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Boro v Ipswich.... Win, Lose or Draw?

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

My take on having just watched the game back.

1 - Bamford needs to play up top. He is more clinical than Kike and today we reaped rewards from his intelligence. More mobile and provided a threat.

2- Too many long balls from the back. But whilst the ball is in the air, they can't score so not the end of the world.

3- the goal we conceded was a great piece of individual play from the player who brought the ball down and shot. Dimi should be doing better though and showed his ages with how slow he was to get up. Other than that, solid enough.

4- great corner routines. Jesus Christ how we have missed Ayala. Didn't think Woodgate did bad coming in though.

5- I know I've been very critical of Adomah this season, but he was fantastic today. On the right he looks like he knows what he's doing and is comfortable and his attacking play showed that today.

Well done the boys, roll on Derbeh

Adam Clayton will carry this game. His beard is too magnificent.

THAT FKING COMBINATION. CLAYTON CARRYING THE *** OUT OF THIS GAME BABY

Trust the Beard. Dumbledore, Gandalf, Clayton. All magicians.

pq3OJoF.jpg

No you nearly always make good points but its every week you are telling us we are not good enough to make the autos but we are still there abouts. Out of interest who are good enough to take the top two places.

Hold on a second.  First of all I didn't say we aren't good enough to make the auto's.  I said if we don't improve our performances then I think we'll end up missing out on them.  For months, going back to October I think, I said I felt we were one of 5 teams that could win automatic promotion.  At the time the five teams I said were us, Derby, Forest, Watford and Norwich.  Other than Forest/Bournemouth I reckon that is looking pretty good at the moment.

We were top not long ago and there was a decent little gap between ourselves and 4th and 5th.  If I'm wrong then where has the gap gone and why aren't we top now?  We haven't been unlucky, we just haven't been playing well enough.  That's why we lost last week and at Sheff Wed and like it or not it's the reason that we will miss out on automatic promotion IF we do miss out on it, which I haven't said is set in stone.  As I said on my earlier post, we can play much better and now is the time to do it.  If we can do it then we will give ourselves a great chance of finishing in the top two because other teams are feeling the pressure as well.  If we don't then in my opinion we won't be top two as we'll drop too many points.  Let's put it this way, if we play as we did at Forest last week, are we likely to get more positive results against Derby and Bournemouth next week and Watford and Norwich later?  I don't think so.  If you do that's fair enough of course, I just think differently that's all.

Things we learned from today:

1. Woody is a rock solid defender and just what we need at this stage of this season, especially with Ayala out for the foreseeable

2. Play Bamford up top for every game he starts from now on.

3. Adomah on the right. ADOMAH ON THE RIGHT.

4. We played badly in the first half at home to a genuine promotion rival and still won 4-1. I'll take that against Derby and Bournemouth any day.

P.S I may be a bit drunk.

Can someone explain how we won 4-1?

I don't quite know what to say about that match. I felt Ipswich were energetic and composed, looked a good side. Boro never really seemed to click today. The week off didn't seem to do them very well because we looked lackluster and second to every ball. Their goal was an absolute farce. That's the second time we've lost the plot after a serious injury to either side has broken momentum, we were asleep and paid the price. Yes Dimi could have done better but I don't think anyone was paying attention when Ipswich attacked.

It's almost humorous because in recent weeks Boro have been criticized for not being clinical enough. Well today we were clinical and took our chances but everything that we usually do so well, I thought went out of the window a little bit.

Vossen works so hard but just wasn't really at the races today. I don't think the lad even had a shot? I felt for him though because its not through lack of effort, I just think his teammates let him down a little today.

On the plus side? Bamford, Adomah, Woodgate and Friend were excellent. Woodgate made such a difference at the back. I've said since this wobbly spell started that we needed experience at the back and Woody provided. Hopefully he can stay fit until the end of the season because Gibson's game is 100% better when he has that support.

And what can you say about Bamford? Lad should have had a hat-trick today but his quality shone through, goals were sublime. We need to get him in the summer.

I'm delighted with the result and our finishing but Boro are still not on top form. Hopefully this will give the squad much confidence to do the business at Derby and Bournemouth.

I think there's a balance to strike we didn't play well and I think in part, at least that can be attributed to the game plan Ipswich implemented.

They came with a plan to shut down our passing game and it worked a treat. Couple that with the fact that we were terrible off the ball and you've got our first half performance.

Derby and Bournemouth will be different propositions. I'm encouraged that we came through that test to be honest.

I agree that we lacked a spark at times but I disagree that means that we were lethargic, I thought the team had a lot of energy and was willing to close down the ball quickly and as a unit. When we got the ball it was a different story as we didn't translate the energy that we had into good attacking play, there were an awful lot of minor individual mistakes today that weren't punished.

I thought our closing down was quite poor today to be honest, which is part of what I'm saying here.  I felt that Ipswich found it all too easy to impose their game on us.  It could just be my perception on the game though and ultimately it's just an opinion.  Lots of individual mistakes I agree completely there.

I also think our closing down was poor today and has been for some time. In fact I think that is one of the reasons we've been conceding more goals of late. Our midfield two are not as dominant as they were early in the season and subsequently they are putting more pressure on the defenders. Where I think we struggle is with higher energy teams who have players with a bit of decent pace and movement. I think we were better in the second half but both Leadbitter and Clayton seemed to be on the wrong side of the player time and time again. It's not the first time I've found it frustrating.

I've also been disappointed with a lot of our passing and choices of late and I don't care which player comes out and says they're not feeling the pressure because it is evident they are. Too many of our players are hesitant in the pass, untidy and backing off instead of getting stuck in.

At the same time, I think at times we showed some really good play today and I'm convinced we have the quality and just need to keep our nerve and play with a bit more desire and freedom.

Dimi - 6 - I think he's usually good at pushing the ball into the right areas but today he made a hash of that save and it allowed them to score.

Kalas - 7 - Good pace, good strength and good determination and made some good challenges.

Friend - 6 - A decent game but made a few mistakes that put us under pressure.

Ayala - 7 - I think he was having a good game, scored a goal so it is a shame he had to go off.

Gibson - 7 - Although again a few nervy moments I think he battled well against a very good, strong championship striker.

Clayton - 7 - I think of the midfield two he was the one sticking his boot in most. Some untidy passing when he tried to go long but created some goals.

Leadbitter - 6 - Not at his best but still a decent performance but as I mentioned before both he and CLayton are getting into a habit of allowing players to run by them.

Adomah - 8 - for me he was MOTM. Scored a goal, caused them problems, defended well but most importantly looks like he is enjoying his football and loves running with the ball again.

Reach - 4 - Comedy of a match for him really. Spent more time hitting the ground than our keeper and tripped himself up more than once. Some poor decisions on the ball when he had a simple pass inside and looks to be low in confidence. I think it was a good decision by Karanka to leave him on and get the 90+ minutes under his belt because he needs to run off this lethargy. He wasn't sharp, wasn't on his toes at all and needs to focus on the simple things first before trying step overs.

Vossen - 7 - Not his most fruitful game in front of goal but I think he worked very hard to defend from the front, especially when I think Bamford was missing for much of the first half.

Bamford - 7 - Yes he scored twice but his all round play was missing something, especially in the first half where he struggled to get into the game. Once the game opened up in the second half he came into his own and should really have completed his hat trick. Personally though I'll take that every game if he comes up with the goods in front of goal.

Subs:

Woodgate - 8 - Pure class when he came on and settled the defence in some tight moments.

Forshaw - 6 - A few decent touches and pressured their players well but not enough time to impose himself on the game.

Nsue - 6 - Not enough time though I was interested to see how he did in the second striker position. Free header and should have scored really.

I think this was an important result for us, especially from a goal difference perspective and we've now got 2 of the toughest away matches in the league. Two games that really could see some gaps opening up for any of the 3 teams. Derby will be hurting after some of their recent results and will be keen to get back to winning ways so it's going to be a tough week. 1 down, 2 to go and then we'll see where we are!

Completely agree, Humpty. I am feeling encouraged despite the criticism. If we can be that clinical and not play well, it bodes well for the remainder of the season. Of course I'd love to play well and be clinical but at the moment it's the points that matter. God I want this season to be over haha. I'm so nervous. I had my lucky Bob t-shirt under my shirt today though so I know 'every little thing was gonna be alright'. :D I'll get my coat.

Btw does anyone have links to the goals? No one taped the match for me. I was at the game but I'd love a second look.

No you nearly always make good points but its every week you are telling us we are not good enough to make the autos but we are still there abouts. Out of interest who are good enough to take the top two places.

Hold on a second.  First of all I didn't say we aren't good enough to make the auto's.  I said if we don't improve our performances then I think we'll end up missing out on them.  For months, going back to October I think, I said I felt we were one of 5 teams that could win automatic promotion.  At the time the five teams I said were us, Derby, Forest, Watford and Norwich.  Other than Forest/Bournemouth I reckon that is looking pretty good at the moment.

We were top not long ago and there was a decent little gap between ourselves and 4th and 5th.  If I'm wrong then where has the gap gone and why aren't we top now?  We haven't been unlucky, we just haven't been playing well enough.  That's why we lost last week and at Sheff Wed and like it or not it's the reason that we will miss out on automatic promotion IF we do miss out on it, which I haven't said is set in stone.  As I said on my earlier post, we can play much better and now is the time to do it.  If we can do it then we will give ourselves a great chance of finishing in the top two because other teams are feeling the pressure as well.  If we don't then in my opinion we won't be top two as we'll drop too many points.  Let's put it this way, if we play as we did at Forest last week, are we likely to get more positive results against Derby and Bournemouth next week and Watford and Norwich later?  I don't think so.  If you do that's fair enough of course, I just think differently that's all.

If I have mis understood what you have said then I apologise. And everything being said we all want the same thing and that is promotion.

I agree that we lacked a spark at times but I disagree that means that we were lethargic, I thought the team had a lot of energy and was willing to close down the ball quickly and as a unit. When we got the ball it was a different story as we didn't translate the energy that we had into good attacking play, there were an awful lot of minor individual mistakes today that weren't punished.

I thought our closing down was quite poor today to be honest, which is part of what I'm saying here.  I felt that Ipswich found it all too easy to impose their game on us.  It could just be my perception on the game though and ultimately it's just an opinion.  Lots of individual mistakes I agree completely there.

I also think our closing down was poor today and has been for some time. In fact I think that is one of the reasons we've been conceding more goals of late. Our midfield two are not as dominant as they were early in the season and subsequently they are putting more pressure on the defenders. Where I think we struggle is with higher energy teams who have players with a bit of decent pace and movement. I think we were better in the second half but both Leadbitter and Clayton seemed to be on the wrong side of the player time and time again. It's not the first time I've found it frustrating.

I've also been disappointed with a lot of our passing and choices of late and I don't care which player comes out and says they're not feeling the pressure because it is evident they are. Too many of our players are hesitant in the pass, untidy and backing off instead of getting stuck in.

At the same time, I think at times we showed some really good play today and I'm convinced we have the quality and just need to keep our nerve and play with a bit more desire and freedom.

Dimi - 6 - I think he's usually good at pushing the ball into the right areas but today he made a hash of that save and it allowed them to score.

Kalas - 7 - Good pace, good strength and good determination and made some good challenges.

Friend - 6 - A decent game but made a few mistakes that put us under pressure.

Ayala - 7 - I think he was having a good game, scored a goal so it is a shame he had to go off.

Gibson - 7 - Although again a few nervy moments I think he battled well against a very good, strong championship striker.

Clayton - 7 - I think of the midfield two he was the one sticking his boot in most. Some untidy passing when he tried to go long but created some goals.

Leadbitter - 6 - Not at his best but still a decent performance but as I mentioned before both he and CLayton are getting into a habit of allowing players to run by them.

Adomah - 8 - for me he was MOTM. Scored a goal, caused them problems, defended well but most importantly looks like he is enjoying his football and loves running with the ball again.

Reach - 4 - Comedy of a match for him really. Spent more time hitting the ground than our keeper and tripped himself up more than once. Some poor decisions on the ball when he had a simple pass inside and looks to be low in confidence. I think it was a good decision by Karanka to leave him on and get the 90+ minutes under his belt because he needs to run off this lethargy. He wasn't sharp, wasn't on his toes at all and needs to focus on the simple things first before trying step overs.

Vossen - 7 - Not his most fruitful game in front of goal but I think he worked very hard to defend from the front, especially when I think Bamford was missing for much of the first half.

Bamford - 7 - Yes he scored twice but his all round play was missing something, especially in the first half where he struggled to get into the game. Once the game opened up in the second half he came into his own and should really have completed his hat trick. Personally though I'll take that every game if he comes up with the goods in front of goal.

Subs:

Woodgate - 8 - Pure class when he came on and settled the defence in some tight moments.

Forshaw - 6 - A few decent touches and pressured their players well but not enough time to impose himself on the game.

Nsue - 6 - Not enough time though I was interested to see how he did in the second striker position. Free header and should have scored really.

I think this was an important result for us, especially from a goal difference perspective and we've now got 2 of the toughest away matches in the league. Two games that really could see some gaps opening up for any of the 3 teams. Derby will be hurting after some of their recent results and will be keen to get back to winning ways so it's going to be a tough week. 1 down, 2 to go and then we'll see where we are!

There are some brutal ratings there. Forshaw did really when he came on. Won loads and some neat passes. Although my Dad watching on TV didn't even know he came on. Different views I guess.

Against a good team we played well and got a cracking result. Even Karanka said we were brilliant.

Right on the nose with your comments Starbuy. What has happened to our midfield closing players down, has the pressure been put on the players by the coaching staff to try and create more clear cut chances leading to Clayton and Leadbitter having to change their usual positions, certainly they have not been as effective of late.

Vossen did well today, He worked hes socks of and set up Bamfords first goal with a brilliant pass..

First half he struggled just like the rest of our players apart from Adomah who was brilliant all game.

Second half he was getting in to the game more but then he was subbed but that substitution worked out brilliantly.

Imo we must keep Vossen just off of Bamford, Adomah right and Reach/ Wildscut/ Carayol left.

Ipswich came to disrupt our usual game and did it very well but we found a way to win and did it convincingly - this, to me, is very encouraging.

I also think the next couple of games suit how we play, both Derby and Bournemouth will come at us and we're best when counter-attacking, particularly with Adomah in the mood he's been in recently. We also have a very good record against teams around us in the table and (barring Ipswich away) have turned up for the big games.