oneBoro Forum
Pyro

Boro v Ipswich 4-1

Boro v Ipswich.... Win, Lose or Draw?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Boro v Ipswich.... Win, Lose or Draw?

The average age of the team is encouraging for the future(although 3 of them are on loan). There were a few older players like Dimi and Woodgate that will skew the average age. Including them it's 25.9 and without them it's 24.3.

Dimi(36), Kalas(21), Ayala(24), Gibson(22), Friend(27), Clayton(26), Leadbitter(29), Adomah(27), Vossen(25), Reach(22), Bamford(21), Woodgate(35), Forshaw(23), Nsue(25).

I think karanka deserves massive credit for the result yesterday. Did his research on how to play effectively against Ipswich after they did us earlier in the season.

He knew they struggle to cope with inventive set pieces. He knew they would be aggressive and pressurise so allowed us to play more direct football. He knew that the back two were slow and could be exploited with a bit of pace. Well executed and I hope he's got derby sussed.

Really pleased with the result yesterday, in what really was a must win! It's the perfect start to a really tough, season defining week. It should hopefully give us confidence for Tuesday (in which I'm now much more buzzing to hop in the car after work and leg it down the a1!). Putting 8 points between us and 7th at this stage was v important.

Thought forshaw was good when he came on today, anyone else impressed? Also, any news on Ayala, was a shame to see him limp off..

I think karanka deserves massive credit for the result yesterday. Did his research on how to play effectively against Ipswich after they did us earlier in the season.

He knew they struggle to cope with inventive set pieces. He knew they would be aggressive and pressurise so allowed us to play more direct football. He knew that the back two were slow and could be exploited with a bit of pace. Well executed and I hope he's got derby sussed.

I do  not think that either Derby nor Bournemouth will be changing tactics just because they are playing Boro and that is to our advantage imo because we will play the same style and formations as to our home games.

We as fans know what is coming so certainly AK does

Wasn't the ref awful yesterday, I don't like criticizing refs but this guy was really poor.concern's me that with things so tight at the top these poor decisions are really important. Two clear 100% penalties on Bamford and Reach. Need stronger better refs, would hate to think what the lower league refs are like.

Wasn't the ref awful yesterday, I don't like criticizing refs but this guy was really poor.concern's me that with things so tight at the top these poor decisions are really important. Two clear 100% penalties on Bamford and Reach. Need stronger better refs, would hate to think what the lower league refs are like.

I was at the Bristol City v Gillingham match yesterday and the ref was utter garbage. The only saving grace was that he was completely inept for both city and Gills decisions so at least he was consistent.

I agree with Bamfords, that was a stone waller. But the one on reach I don't think was a penno.

I agree with Bamfords, that was a stone waller. But the one on reach I don't think was a penno.

Do you mean the one on Reach right at the start? I'm a bit less bothered about that (though it was a pen) because we scored from the resulting corner, when it came off Reach's foot, so two wrongs actually ended up making a right from our point of view.

The Bamford one was as obvious a penalty as you'll see.

Aside from that, I didn't think the ref was terrible. But that was a massive call that he messed up, that could have been vital.

Our next 2 games against Darby and Bournemouth...

Obviously we want to win both games but just thinking how the games might go, I'm not sure what would be better, 2 draws or 1 win and 1 loss.. I suppose it depends on there other results and others teams.

Do you mean the one on Reach right at the start? I'm a bit less bothered about that (though it was a pen) because we scored from the resulting corner, when it came off Reach's foot, so two wrongs actually ended up making a right from our point of view.

The Bamford one was as obvious a penalty as you'll see.

Aside from that, I didn't think the ref was terrible. But that was a massive call that he messed up, that could have been vital.

I guess he's probably meaning the one towards the end of the game where Reach was clearly tugged back by Chambers as he was try to get on the end of an Adomah cross.

Didn't see the entire match, but just briefly discussed it on another forum where an Ipswich fan was really upset about the ref for not stopping Boros violent play. He claims that reach should have been shown a straight red for almost ending Berras career with a studs up tackle on his knee.

From what I saw I can't remember seeing any particular hard play by boro.

He might have been talking about Vossen. Vossen did have one late one where he was slightly late for a 50/50 and ended up going through Berra a bit, IIRC

• Latest Posts

• People always have to whinge, don't they? Unbeaten in 7, haven't conceded a goal from open play all season, we look a proper unit and there's a real togetherness in the squad for the first time in 4-5 years. Actually guys, instead of looking to the positives, lets try and tear down a young right back starting his first full season, or, how about we have a go at Assombalonga for not playing his best in a role unsuited to him? Get a grip and enjoy the team doing well for a change.
    • I'm not comparing us to last season though.  I don't quite understand why everyone is? Last season was an anomaly, caused by us appointing someone to the manager's job that had no business being there.  The two seasons before that we finished 5th and 7th and the bulk of this squad is still those players - Fry, Howson, Saville, McNair, Wing, Tavernier, Wing, Assombalonga, Fletcher, Johnson.  Dijksteel looks more than capable so far, Morsy looks like a good solid Championship player, and the same can be said for the likes of Hall, Akpom and Bettenelli.  We aren't the plucky underdogs in this league, the likes of Coventry and Wycombe are, so why act like it, unless it's to try and make things feel better? As we've discussed plenty of times, it's not a choice between points and entertainment.  Other clubs manage both, but some Boro fans seem to have convinced themselves that you have to decide between one and the other. Having said that, my opinion is already known so I should shut up about it, as nothing is going to change, and believe it or not, I don't want to be a downer for other people.  So I will button it on that subject from now on.
    • He hasnt played a decent game this season. But then again heade a few good tackles late on when he was playing deeper. So maybe he would be better in a 4. Not seen much from him going forward 
    • Wouldn't say he was plodding tbf, he'd actually be a decent signing just not at the expense of McNair
    • He showed so much quickness and pace from that position that I think most felt he could naturally move up the field into an advanced role.  Maybe his talents are just suited to the back half of the pitch for now. Work on his defensive positioning. There is a place for a RB with with pace and quickness who can advance the ball.