oneBoro Forum

Boro V AFC Bournemouth (A) 0-3

6 points from 3 games, that's the magical 2 points per game. Can't ask for more than that.

The magical 2 points per game is over the course of a season not just a few games that's picked to support an argument. We've played 39 games and have 72 points. We are 6 points adrift of 2 per game.

So before this week you wouldn't have taken 6 points from these 3 games? If the answer is no then you're deluded.

The point is we have not been a 2 point a game team over the course of a season picking three games and going woo hoo we've got 2 points a game is meaningless.

Its as meaningless as saying we've got 1.5 points per game in the last two games or no points a game in the last one.

What counts is over the course of a season and at this point we are short of that. Over the last ten games we are 1.6 points per game (well short of the 2 points per game).

To address this week have we really done anymore than what you'd expect against an average Ipswich team and a Derby team with no strikers?

I've said all along we won't be top two and today's performance is part of the reason why.

You've got an apt username haven't you. No team in the division will get two points a game, it's far too competitive. Let's not write off the top two because of today, I'm sure we will be back in there after the next match.

We've got 3 winnable games in our next 4, we need to win them and get a point at Watford and I think we will be sitting pretty with 3 games left.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't believe people are saying we should write off Top 2 because of today! We're only a point behind first and only second on GD (which isn't massive either, only 3 goals). Let's get behind the lads and roar them into the top 2 these next few games.

Or you can just be doom ***ers and get yourselves upset :D

We were poor today, but with another referee it could easily have been 1-1. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we deserved anything from the game. But their first penalty is up for debate, and their second just shouldn't have been. Arter should've been sent off for diving, and it was an appalling decision. However I'm surprised we're not making more of our penalty claim. Where Bamford was dragged to the floor, which the commentator dismissed with the quote "it's a definite foul, but I don't think he was ever getting to the ball" as if that makes taking someone down off the ball okay.

Well, let's hope it hasn't knocked the confidence out of the team as that was a comprehensive defeat and we all have two weeks to stew about it now.

Looking like it's gonna go 'till the last game of the season :-/

shtnz3030_ngm_clr_1.jpg?itok=FtBoODQI

Can't believe people are saying we should write off Top 2 because of today! We're only a point behind first and only second on GD (which isn't massive either, only 3 goals). Let's get behind the lads and roar them into the top 2 these next few games.

It's crap like this why I went on a 2 week break from this place. You lose or even draw and it's apparently season over, it's ridiculous. Then one win and they're as bad as Derby fans!

It's the same with players as well. Few crap games and they're arming themselves with pitchforks then they do one decent thing and the sun is shining from a certain orifice.

Totally agree Prowler. I'm disappointed about yesterday, there are things I want to pick apart and criticize but lets be real here. We are one point off the top. We have a two week break to get the defence back to full fitness and we have a decent squad who are more than capable of getting us over the line. There are tough games to follow but the hardest one, imo, is now gone.

Well that was awful!! We were truely outfought, outpaced and outeverythingelsed yesterday. I decided to avoid coming on yesterday as I thought there'd be some over-reaction about the rest of the season.

But although we were outgunned (another one) we were beaten by two pens and a wonderstrike from probably the best team in the division, so for me it was the best way (if there is one) to get our biggest defeat of the season.

I won't analyse the game but I did want to pick up on a couple quotes post match

Quote 1: Harry arter

"I don't think I felt anyone touch me but I definitely didn't dive". - What?!?!

Quote 2: Eddie Howe

"It doesn't look like a foul to me but the important thing is the ref gave it and we won" - so in translation, it's ok dive aslong as you win??

I may have slightly paraphrased but to come out and say either of things is a disappointing and sad indictment of the game these days, guess I'm just old fashioned....

Also I was a little disappointed to hear AK have a pop at the ref, he's been above that all year dispite the entire refereeing fraternity seeming to make awful decisions against us every game. Even when one sent him off he took it on the chin!!! Perhaps the pressure is starting to build on him.

But onwards and upwards, we got well beaten by the better team on the day much like we did to derby a couple of months back. UTB!!!!

Well that was awful!! We were truely outfought, outpaced and outeverythingelsed yesterday. I decided to avoid coming on yesterday as I thought there'd be some over-reaction about the rest of the season.

But although we were outgunned (another one) we were beaten by two pens and a wonderstrike from probably the best team in the division, so for me it was the best way (if there is one) to get our biggest defeat of the season.

I won't analyse the game but I did want to pick up on a couple quotes post match

Quote 1: Harry arter

"I don't think I felt anyone touch me but I definitely didn't dive". - What?!?!

Quote 2: Eddie Howe

"It doesn't look like a foul to me but the important thing is the ref gave it and we won" - so in translation, it's ok dive aslong as you win??

I may have slightly paraphrased but to come out and say either of things is a disappointing and sad indictment of the game these days, guess I'm just old fashioned....

Also I was a little disappointed to hear AK have a pop at the ref, he's been above that all year dispite the entire refereeing fraternity seeming to make awful decisions against us every game. Even when one sent him off he took it on the chin!!! Perhaps the pressure is starting to build on him.

But onwards and upwards, we got well beaten by the better team on the day much like we did to derby a couple of months back. UTB!!!!

Tbf to Karanka we've had decisions go against us all season, he was eventually going to have a pop at the ref as nearly all managers do.

i agree with Will  on this discussion,  Eddie Howe said in an interview that todays all round display by Bournemouth was perhaps the best theyve had at home thisseason  and lets face it theyve had some good wins prior to this .  We simply werent allowed to get into the game  because we were  pressured  into mistakes , given very little time on the ball and  on top of that they played right to thier full potential .  if i was a nuetral giving individual ratings id struggle to giave any of thier side less than 7 and quite a few  would get 8or 9. 

its not a disaster just a game where we were second best on the day .  

having said that we cant afford to drop silly points in our home games to keep in the running for the top 2 places   and  if we can  get 5 or 6 from the away games  we wont be far off  top 2

best 3 easy today for us were  Dimi, George and  Albert   ......naughty corner  Kalas, Reach  and  Nsue 

This. Everything came together today for us, best performance of the season.

That 2nd penno.. Just watched it back again.

Arter has never been a diver that I can remember. his fall yesterday didn't look like simulation to me, and he never appealed for it, he just got up. That's my gut feeling.

He was on a yellow card and we were comfortable.. so why take that deliberate risk with Ipswich away up next??

Only he really knows whether he deliberately went down or not.

We have Ipswich away up next - the toughest of our remaining games. They are quite a big side, direct, and we suffered with that aspect of our game in the 2-2 draw down here in December.

If we can defend properly from set pieces then hopefully we will be fine.

How do you lot rate Lee Tomlin? Whenever I saw him play for Peterboro I thought he looked overweight and wasnt that impressed, was quite surprised when you signed him.

Yesterday shows how important Woody / Ayala are.

Bournemouth wouldn't have scored it either of them had been on the pitch, it's bad to single anyone out but Kalas had a shocker.

Seeing as AK builds from the back I'd say far more important is to get CB cover in that a striker!

For some reason and in crucial games we seem to have the attitude that all we need to do is turn up and we'll win. That seemed to be the case yesterday and we met an fantastic Bournemouth side who absolutely battered us. Think that has to be our worse performance of the season (not a shot on target) and Bournemouth were on song.

I was disappointed AK seemed to be having a pop at the officials as he doesn't normally, maybe he's feeling the pressure or maybe he's sensing a message to the players because really he should be taring strips off them.

I really like Bournemouth though, and Eddie Howe is a decent guy and I've go no complaints from yesterday - they should have had a peno in the first 5 as Gibson puled one of their lads back as he broke for a loose ball, so even if the 2nd peno left a bad taste it was fully deserved.

Really glad for the break now, it's imperative that we go into the last 7 with Ayala / Woody fit or some decent cover. If we rely on Kalas / gibbo (21 / 22 years old) I'm afraid we'll blow it.

It's crap like this why I went on a 2 week break from this place. You lose or even draw and it's apparently season over, it's ridiculous. Then one win and they're as bad as Derby fans!

It's the same with players as well. Few crap games and they're arming themselves with pitchforks then they do one decent thing and the sun is shining from a certain orifice.

Totally agree with this. The overreactions have definately increased in numbers this season.

How do you lot rate Lee Tomlin? Whenever I saw him play for Peterboro I thought he looked overweight and wasnt that impressed, was quite surprised when you signed him.

He's a form player capable of magic (you've probably seen his turn against Kompany). However he does drop quite deep, and can be a passenger on games if the rest of the team aren't performing - like yesterday. But when he's on the pitch you wouldn't bet against him producing something, a defence splitting pass like against Derby on Tuesday, or some quick feet to take a few defenders out of the game. As for the overweight comment, when he came to us he was. But since joining he's supposedly lost almost 2 stone, and he looks much more trim now than this time last season.

I find Tomlin to be average or poor a lot of the time but is capable of doing something brilliant. He is incredibly frustrating and I'd rather someone else played and he was used as an impact player.

I think for me that is my real beef about our midfield as it never imposes itself on a continual basis in an attack minded way and intent.

Bournemouth were down our throats from the off and I would like to see more of that ethos from Boro at times