• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with you on that one Ham Chop. Those are the type of people who use the "it's my opinion" banner to act like a ***

We never take the easy route do we? I'm still trying to get my heart under control after that nerve wracking finish. There is so much at stake now with six games to go that every kick of the ball feels like agony.

The match itself was a game of two halves. Boro dominated with a comfortable display in the first half but failed to capitalize on the numerous chances which they created for themselves. A bit of luck with the deflection saw Bamford rack up his fifteenth goal of the season, making him Boro's top scorer in the league for 18 years. It's kind of sad the last person to score that many goals was Ricard.

In the second half Boro made things difficult for themselves. They were overrun in midfield after Wigan made changes and sat too deep. I think we would have dealt with it better if it hadn't been for a period of sloppy passing which invited pressure on us. Woodgate was a calming presence at the back though and we reached the eighteenth clean sheet of the season. Boro had several chances on the counter to win the game but alas it wasn't to be.

Stand out players for me were Woodgate, Reach and Clayton. Clayton was poor against Bournemouth but was back to his usual self, snapping at Wigan's heels. He earned himself a stupid booking but the ref had such a poor game I think it was sheer frustration. Woodgate was immense at the back. It is priceless what he brings to the team with his calming presence and ability to read the game. They need to throw the medical kitchen sink at him to get him on that pitch on Monday. Reach, is someone I have criticised but the lad deserved all the praise today. Everything that had been going wrong for him recently, was starting to go right and his attitude was fantastic. Him and Albert never stopped switching or running.

All in all I'm pleased but after a shaky sigh of relief. Bring on Watford and let's see what that brings us.

Very pleased with the 3 points but are we getting too reliant on Bamford scoring?

No, there will always be a top scorer in a team you look to for goals.

Kane, aguero, berahino, Costa, giroud (?) etc.

Teams are reliant on strikers yes, but not "too" reliant that it's an issue. Same as you're reliant on every first team player to do their job. It's not like Branford is a winger or defender bailing us out with a freak scoring streak. It's his job to stick it in the net

A massive 3 points today, but the performance was not good at all. It seems that nerves got the better of us today. The win today was a result of good defending and awful finishing by Wigan. If we were up against a good side today we would have lost heavily as we couldn't keep the ball in the final 35 or 40 minutes. We will need to step up against Watford is were going to have a chance of winning. Our defence and Dimi bailed us out today.

Player ratings:

Dimi:7.5 -Collected crosses well and made one very important save.

Kalas: 8 -Defended very well and looked good going forward.

Woodgate: 8.5 -Never lost a header all game, and defended really well. A few rash clearances where he could have been better to look for a red shirt to pass to.

Gibson: 8 -Great performance too.

Friend: 8 -Done well also. Got forward to great effect in the second half.

Clayton: 7.5 -Didn't do anything flash but done the job that was asked of him well. He didn't get any possession in the second half which I'm not sure if it was our CM's fault or the defences fault for lashing everything clear with very little composure.

Leadbitter: 7 -Steady performance.

Adomah: 8.5 -Brilliant performance and their LB was second best all game. He should have got himself a goal today. His form has been great in recent weeks and has proved vital in so many of our tight games lately.

Vossen: 6.5 -Didn't get into the game again, mainly due to their CB's being thugs towards him, which the Stuart Attwell should have done more to stop. He still shown a few glimpses of quality at times when he got onto the ball. Worked hard for the team.

Reach: 7 -Very little creativity, but done the job that was asked of him well by keeping possession and provided great cover defensively for Friend.

Bamford: 7.5 -His goal was obviously key, but his performance today wasn't up to the high standards of recent weeks.

Tomlin: N/A

Kike: N/A

At the in laws after today's match and I am spent, I have not felt like this after watching the Boro in a long while.

Everyone has already said about the difference between first and second half but for my twopence;

Woody- still got it, the man won everything and is just a class above.

Gorgeous - the bloke must have lungs like an elephant

Albert and reach both ran themselves ragged

Waghorn looks like he has eaten all the pies and then some

I text into BBC Tees (forgot to add my name again) but I commented on the roar of the riverside at the end. I got a little bit misty eyed. It's been a while since I've heard it from all corners of the ground. The fans were the twelfth man today, Wigan had the officials. ;)

Well we got the job done and ultimately that's all we needed to do today. We simply had to win to put the pressure on everyone else. I thought in the first half and bits of the second half that we played some decent football but it was only in patches unfortunately and we never really pushed on as we probably should have done. Wigan were poor, they're previous form may have been good but they were absolutely there for the taking today. At times in the first half they were almost comically bad on the ball. I think there were a few moments in the second half where we could have screwed this up but thankfully either good defensive play on our part or poor play on their part stopped that from happening. At the other end we really should have made more of some useful attacking situations to find a second goal and kill it off.

I thought Adomah played well today, he seems to have an extra bit of something lately and it's great to see. I also thought the two central defenders did a good job for the most part and Friend was lively enough down the left. I also thought Clayton did quite well for us, probably the better of our two in the middle of the park although the booking was kind of his trademark act of stupidity.

I'm more than a bit surprised that Reach has received praise as I thought he was really poor. Not in the sense that he was making lots of mistakes, more that he tried his best not to do anything at all. The number of times he got the ball in a decent position, slowed it down, stopped and passed it backwards was ridiculous. Sometimes it's useful to slow the game down a bit but not all of the time and certainly not when you've got a back four in retreat and you have two or three teammates getting themselves into good positions. It happened so often I had to assume he was doing it under instruction from the gaffer but I really can't see why or how it benefits us at all. Today we could easily have pushed on and buried them but ultra cautious play like that will make it harder to do so and in the end we're having to hang on against a side that really we were more than a goal better than.

Anyway, good win, deserved win and that's what matters for us. Watford will be a different kettle of fish but we had to deal with today before concerning ourselves with that so for now it's one job done and now we move on to the next one.