oneBoro Forum

Boro v Watford (A) 0-2

Sounds like most people expect us to lose.

I wonder if this is because of recent below-par away performances (Derby being the exception) or if people are giving Watford a lot of respect for arguably being the best side to come up to the Riverside this season?

Personally I think it will be the same XI that started against Wigan. I wouldn't be hugely surprised to see Kike and Tomlin in for Reach and Vossen, with a bit of juggling the positions of the front four. But I think that Bamford has once again proved his worth in the CF position, and would understandably be peeved to be shunted out wide again.

I think Fredericks might be back in for Kalas, if he's fit enough to play the full 90, otherwise we'll hopefully see both him and Ayala back for Rotherham. Amorebieta and/or Tiendalli may have been considered if we'd have looked shaky yesterday, but I think they'll be on the bench again.

I'm going 1-2. I think they'll score, they tend to. Deeney will get it, and no-one will be surprised. But that will come after a Bamford/Adomah double has already put us in the driving seat. The last 10 minutes will be horrible but we'll come through it thanks to another masterclass from Woody.

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing's for sure, if we do win this league, I'll always remember Woodgates part in it above all else (apart from AK of course). It's been minimal in terms of how long his actual contribution has been, but my god it's been absolutely crucial.

Im going for 2-1 to us. A very nervy 1-0 lead at half time with them equalising straight after the break. Torturous 40 minutes with a late winner by kike! Bamford for the other. Cmon!!!

Worth noting that the only side they have beaten in the top 8 is Brentford. So I think they have just as many mental blocks as we do.

To be fair to Boro we have been pretty good against the top 8 this season in my opinion.

P11 W6 D2 L3

Avg pts per game 20/11 = 1.81

Infact its better than I thought it was, average 2 points over the whole season are your going up so to be that close vs other promo rivals is brilliant.. shame Reading, Leeds and Wednesday done the double on us. :(

Only issue is we have Norwich A, Watford A and Wolves H.

That could easily turn into L L W meaning 1.6 points per game - still not bad though

Reading haven't, we drew with them away from home.

Surely the fact that we are currently top of the table means we ARE the best team in the division right now?

We have more points than anyone else. We may have lost games and rued missed chances in some of them, but likewise so have Watford, Bournemouth, Derby and Norwich.

I understand peoples negativity with the upcoming game, its a natural reaction to a game with so much at stake. But these are the games which we can look back on and see this is what champions are made from!

Who would have thought that we would go to Derby and get a win before kick off?

Who would have thought that at this stage of the season we would be top, with only 6 games left?

The Bournemouth game seems to have put a dampener on this forum, yes it was a blow, but we have bounced back with 3 points. It wasnt pretty, stylish or free flowing. But we got the job done!

We have the best defence in the league and most clean sheets. We should be feared by the opposition! The lads this season deserve a huge amount of credit because you dont get to sit at the top of the tree in a very very competitive league like this, by chance.

That is my positive input for this game.

0-0 HT

0-1 FT Adomah.

3 magic beans, yum diddly yum.

This may not be popular, but I would drop leadbitter for this one due to his yellow card situation which I believe get wiped after this game? Any who, Whitehead or foreshore to come and play alongside Clayton for me.

Lost count of the number of times I have been to Vicarage Road and very seldom seen a Boro win or draw in that time.

Certainly one of our "bogey" teams and Watford do seem to match Boro toe to toe.

I think they will play at the same tempo (if allowed) as Bournemouth did to us and will see us as a must win game, If we win then 5 points clear of them and the guarantee of staying top for a little longer and with one game less to play so a draw could probably see us in 3rd place behind Norwich on goal difference (this aspect becoming clearly more important as each game goes by)

So a draw will be a decent result clearly but I am concerned about our away form of late to a degree and will gladly settle for the point, a win and bucking the normal trend of Boro results at VR would be massive because it will show that we are capable of keeping top spot at this very crucial stage of the season.

Although talked about it does seem odds on that there will not be a break away (though still could happen) by two teams to ease the pressure upon themselves so purely for me we simply have to match or better both Watford and Norwich results moving ahead.

Will be there to cheer the boys on at an away game which could take the title of TMIGOTS.........so far!!!

And I do so hope that Woodgate will be available

I have a sneaky feeling we'll get a result; we never got out of second gear on Friday while Watford had to play at 110% just to get a point once they went a man down.

That being said, even a loss isn't the end of the world. I think we'll win our 3 remaining home games plus Fulham away, giving us 12 points plus anything we pick up at Carrow Road.

The table after Monday (if we lose) will likely be:

Bournemouth 77

Watford 76

Norwich 76

Boro. 75

That's hardly insurmountable.

Would take a point, its the home games we can't afford to not win (though I worry about Wolves a week Tuesday), and the away games are the ones (Fulham aside) where anything other than a loss would be far from a disaster. I would only make perhaps two changes to the side that beat Wigan. Anyone who saw the Bournemouth game and parts of the Wigan game would see that Kalas seems to be very short of confidence, and would appear to be the weak link in our defence, so I would give the nod to Tiendalli, he's played 27 times in the Premier League, and twice for Holland, so I can't imagine Vicarage Road will be a particularly daunting prospect for him to make his debut. Also, rotating Vossen, who was battered and bruised on Saturday for Tomlin would not only bring some needed fresh legs perhaps, but also that creative spark that would absent for long periods on Saturday.

Head says 1-1, heart says 2-0, UTB!

Dimi/Friend, Woodgate, Gibson, Tiendalli/Leadbitter, Clayton/Reach, Tomlin?, Adomah/Bamford.

I have a sneaky feeling we'll get a result; we never got out of second gear on Friday while Watford had to play at 110% just to get a point once they went a man down.

That being said, even a loss isn't the end of the world. I think we'll win our 3 remaining home games plus Fulham away, giving us 12 points plus anything we pick up at Carrow Road.

The table after Monday (if we lose) will likely be:

Bournemouth 77

Watford 76

Norwich 76

Boro. 75

That's hardly insurmountable.

There'll be a meltdown on Twitter and Facebook if that's how the table looks on Monday :P