oneBoro Forum
boro-unger

Boro V Brighton 0-0

Anthony Vickers noticed that we were playing for a draw in the closing stages too:

"There appeared to be a conscious change in Boro’s game plan in the closing stages that suggested the objective of the game had subtly changed.

As news came in of results elsewhere and the bench kept track of the “as it stands” table and the stopwatch, it looked as if a decision had been made to hold what we had – fourth place – and opt for Brentford rather than going flat out for the win that would take Boro back above Norwich and mean they would face Ipswich.

Skipper Grant Leadbitter was summoned over to the touchline for a quick conflab with the gaffer and then he relayed the instructions to the team. He quickly laid a long pass back to Dimi Konstantopoulos and issued the universally recognised ‘calm down’ gesture to the centre-backs then soon after directed Emilio Nsue to take his time over a throw.

It seemed that the team had been directed from the dug-out to ease off the gas, in itself a feat in a game that was slow so it appeared to be buffering."

From his blog:

https://untypicalboro.wordpress.com/2015/05/04/last-day-draw-may-give-boro-a-play-off-edge/#more-2223

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Latest Posts

• Stoke  v  N.Forest. H QPR  v  WBA. A Blackburn  v  Luton. H Charlton  v  Leeds. A Derby  v  Birmingham. H Huddersfield  v  Millwall. D Hull  v  Cardiff. D Middlesbrough  v  Sheff Wed:. D (No Boro Scorer) PNE  v  Bristol Cty. D Swansea  v  Reading. H
    • I couldn't watch the game (sounds like I was lucky with that). Just watched the highlights and it looked like a fair result. We created one and half chance the entire game and thats just not good enough. Awful. Briliant header by Fletcher though 🙂 
    • Yeah I agree with that, he's absolutely miles away from that level. I think Fry has looked good in the Championship but I don't think he's set the world alight either.  If I was a Premier league scout I'd be happy to buy him but I'd ideally want to see him develop at Championship level on loan for another couple of seasons.   
    • what a doyle, I posted week 8 and 9 but forgot week 7   deserve to be bottom for that alone
    • I watch Man City closely, as my best friend is a long standing fan. City might have sent a scout or two to watch Dael,  but I doubt they'd try to fix their flawed defence with a largely unproven and injury-hit Championship youngster. Unless their plan was to sign him and then loan him out for a couple of years.   A sale-and-loanback deal might be palatable, if we reinvested the money in players who would actually suit the type of football Woody claims to want to play. It's obvious which deficiencies in our squad need to be addressed, and quickly.