oneBoro Forum

Boro v Brentford (A) Play off S/F 1st leg 2-1

Brentford 3-0

Pritchard hat-trick

Brentford have not scored a goal past us this season and all of a sudden they are going to put 3 past us.

It is going to be a hard game but to say they will beat us 3-0. What a doom merchant you must be.

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Boro fan and Bees season ticket holder here (it's a long story...see lurkers thread if interested) so I can provide some insight on what to expect over the next 2 games.

When they came to the Riverside in September it was by far the worst I've seen them play in 2 seasons so I wouldn't judge them on that. In the reverse fixture they were unlucky to lose at Griffin Park to a soft-ish penalty, Boro had an off day but a strong defence saved it.

Things to watch out for:

They have a very talented midfield - Jota and Pritchard (loan from Spurs) stand out but also Alan Judge can be a real handful although he's been a bit off the boil since coming back from injury. Jonathan Douglas is good at breaking up play and ghosts in for the odd goal. Diagouraga has been a revelation this season since returning from Pompey on loan, shielding the defence usually. I hesitate to mention him in the same breath as Viera but you get the idea. Most of their goals come from midfield. Toral (***nal) and Dallas often come off the bench often to good effect.

Very attacking style - not seen them sit back on a lead for 2 seasons. Often leave 3 up front when defending a corner, which really confuses the oppo defenders! Full backs like to get forward - Bidwell and Odubajo. Odubajo is a bit like Albert, loves to get forward and run at defenders.

Weaknesses:

Their style of play is kind of European keep ball, which sometimes backfires when they take unnecessary risks between goalie and defenders. Don't like to be pinned back with teams playing a high line, they like to build from the back.

Jota is all left foot - don't let him cut in on it into the box or he will score.

Centre backs Dean and Tarks make at least one mistake per game which is often punished. Both are very good young players still developing.

Generally play with just one striker, Andre Gray, signed from non league Luton. He has missed more chances this season than I can count but still scored about 16 or so. He gets plenty of service from midfield but scores about 1 in 5 "absolute sitters" created.

Griffin Park under floodlights on Friday will be a tough place to play away, the atmosphere will be rocking. Depending on which Brentford turn up they could be 2 tight games and I can't wait!

Up the Boro!

Our speciality is keeping it tight in the first half and playing a bit more expansively in the second half. I see this game as our 'first half' of the play offs. Well be solid defensively and make sure we get at least a draw. I reckon it'll be 0-0 or 1-0 to boro, with us nicking a goal on the break.

Then we'll get em back to the riverside and have our wicked way with them!

Isn't there a peculiar stat which shows that we haven't lost a game played at night for x amount of games? Pretty sure I heard it mentioned during the Norwich game..

Well come Friday the tactical mastermind/evil genius will use his super human powers to ensure that we get a draw at Brentford with no injuries to jeopardise our chances of victory in our home game. I also expect him to use his sorcery to ensure that that we meet Ipswich in the Final.

Sarcasm aside, I think AK will have the side well prepared for this one, particularly the defensive unit. I want to see Vossen and Bamford start with a recognised LW playing on the LW. Three games to achieve access to the riches of the PL (Promised Land) Can we do it? Yes we can, See you all at Wembley.

Isn't there a peculiar stat which shows that we haven't lost a game played at night for x amount of games? Pretty sure I heard it mentioned during the Norwich game..

We have a really impressive record in night games at the Riverside, something like 3 years. Away from home, pretty sure we've only lost one this season, at Wolves. I might have forgotten one though.

I'm actually quite calm and relaxed about Friday and aren't counting the days and hours to the game... I'm just enjoying the the build up to the playoff's knowing we have a chance of promotion... The closer it gets I will get more excited and come Friday I will be bouncing around like a little boy at Christmas...

UTB.

We have a really impressive record in night games at the Riverside, something like 3 years. Away from home, pretty sure we've only lost one this season, at Wolves. I might have forgotten one though.

I'm sure I heard we haven't lost on a Friday night this season.

Not sure how many Friday night's we have played though, I can only think of away at Norwich.

Yeah, pretty sure it's just that one. In fact, I think the last time we played on a Friday night before that was the 4-0 win against Donny when Venus was in charge.

I'd snap your hand off for a 0-0 at Brentford right now to be honest. Griffin Park is possibly the most hostile atmosphere in the Championship, with the fans almost able to reach out and touch the touch line from the front row. Very vocal, very passionate. We snook that 1-0 win there courtesy of Grant's penalty, but there attacking threat at home was evident. Jota and Pritchard are the two biggest danger men for me.

We can keep a clean sheet against most teams in this division. We need one on Friday. Then fingers crossed Bam Bam has recovered from his various knocks and is able to produce a moment of magic!

I hope AK doesn't start anyone who isn't fully fit no matter who they are, We need all our players fully fit and capable of playing the high tempo pressing game from the first whistle to the last.

Its very important we start up for it and fast from the start.

i know its the obvious statement but its absolutely vital that we come away from Brentford no worse than one goal down and in a strange way that scenario would  maybe play to our advantage as i really dontthink Bren tford would be able to successfully play out a game situation where they try to hold out defensively . True it would have its risks as they are more than capable of  scoring at the Riverside  .  I truly believe that the eventual winner of the play offs will come from this tie .  the one thing that worries me though is that of the four teams  two  of them (ourselves and Ipswich )have a tendency to blow hot and cold whereas you know exactly what you will get from Brentford imparticularly and  Norwich. 

just got to trust that AK and the lads will get it right when it matters   GOOD LUCK LADS .  we can do it  if we  play to our potential .

Can't afford and hot/cold performances over the next three games. We need to be fully focussed in all isx halves + extra time and the players simply can't afford to go AWOL for 45 minutes. Start every game like we started at Norwich last month.