oneBoro Forum
MidlandsBoro

Boro v Brentford (H) Play off S/F 2nd leg 3-0 (5-1 agg)

Well here we are again. With four minutes of the game to go on Friday night I didn’t think I’d be doing another matchday thread, but supersub Nando did what he was brought on for (ahem) and scored the winner to hand the momentum in this play-off semi-final firmly to the Boro. One win down, two to go...

The game:

Boro host Brentford on Friday 15 May at the Riverside, kicking off at 7.45pm, with an aggregate lead of 2-1 going into the match.

Last match:

Boro played Brentford at Griffin Park in the first leg of the Championship play-off semi-finals, winning 2-1 courtesy of a 93rd minute winner from Fernando Amorebieta. Boro controlled the first half, restricting Brentford to long range shots, and took a deserved lead when an unmarked Vossen headed home Clayton’s pinpoint cross. Boro, and Vossen, could and perhaps should have had a second shortly after, but the referee correctly ruled that only 16/20ths of the ball crossed the line.

Half time came and went, and Brentford started the second half with renewed vigour. The Bees should have scored through Gray earlier, but following a moment of utter madness from Dimi Gray made up for his earlier miss to bring Brentford back into the game. Suddenly Boro were on the back foot and Brentford were showing what a decent side they were, although they didn’t carve out too many clear cut opportunities despite seeing twice as much of the ball. Clear cut chances were at a premium from both sides; an excellent save from Dimi to claw a looping header away from the top corner went some way to making amends for his earlier howler and Adomah drew an equally good save from the Brentford keeper with a wicked left foot volley.

The game seemed to be heading towards a draw, and Adam Clayton has since revealed the Boro plays were happy to take that as time ticked down. But after Boro won a corner in the 93rd minute, Nando popped up with a terrific volley to steal the aggregate lead and send the Boro fans into raptures.

Next match:

Boro have beaten Brentford three times out of three already this season, have scored seven goals to Brentford’s one in their head-to-heads, beat Brentford 4-0 at home earlier in the season, have the best home record in the league, and haven’t conceded two at home since playing Sheffield Wednesday back in August. Surely all the signs point to Boro progressing to Wembley?

Boro are favourites. Of course they are. But all the noises coming out of Boro are that they aren’t taking the game lightly, and nor should they. Brentford showed they could be dangerous last Friday, with a couple of well hit shots from midfield. All it takes is one silly mistake and the tie is level again. Brentford will travel to the Riverside with nothing to lose and absolutely everything to gain. If Boro can get an early goal to settle the nerves then this SHOULD be reasonably comfortable. If they don’t, or if Brentford strike first, then this tie will be blown wide open.

View from the other side:

[TO BE INSERTED THIS EVENING]

Questions:

• Who will start on Friday, and in what formation?

• Is this the most important game of the season so far?

• How will we approach the game? All out attack or cautious counter attacking play?

• Will this be Vossen’s final game at the Riverside? Will it be Bamford’s?

• What is your final score prediction?

Great intro MB.

Think we will see the same lineup. Only question is if Bamford is fit enough to start. Whitehead did a good job at RB, so I think he'll get another chance, unless AK wants to give Fredericks some match practice before we hopefully qualify for Wembley.

It is definately the most important game of the season so far. No question about that whatsoever.

I think we will be going for the first goal. It would be absolutely immense to get the first goal and AK knows that.

If we don't go up I can't see Vossen and Bamford at the Riverside next season. If we go up I firmly believe they will both be here.

2-0 Boro is my final score prediction for Friday. We really should have enough in our locker to see us through. It will be a very difficult game as Brentford will have nothing to lose, but I just think we will be slightly stronger in all areas of the pitch. That's no disrespect to Brentford, because I really like them, but as a team I feel we are overall stronger.

View from the other side:

[TO BE INSERTED THIS EVENING]

Giggety...

Oo-er Mrs!

The view from their side will be a bitter and twisted one from what I've seen. Not too different fro Derby's view on us, we're apparently ugly but effective, don't play football against teams like Brentford who are supposedly superior footballing sides and instead kick lumps out of them and play hoofball.

They are supposedly the better team despite having scored 1 goal against us this season, conceded 7 and their best ever result against us was a draw, once.

Oh and supposedly the referee in the last game was inept, they should've had 2 penalties (I don't see where) and a number of our players were lucky to be on the pitch. That's the general consensus.

And they don't like Bamford either, they hate him. There's a thread on their forum detailing the highlight of the last game as when their CB took Bamford out early in the 2nd half.

They're definitely just Derby in disguise and we'll beat them for the 4th time in 1 season at the riverside. They'll be left scratching their little deluded heads as to how the far better side managed to lose to the ugly and poor Middlesbrough 4 times in a season then they'll do a Yeovil, end up in League 2 and find out why.

The chap that posts on the opposition forums, Beesotted seems a decent bloke, but the ones on the Griffin Park forum are so far up their own ***s that they can see what they had for breakfast.

So looking forward to this. Will leave about 1pm hoping to get into Middlesbrough by 5pm, find somewhere to have a bite to eat and a few beers.

Sitting Block 66 if anyone is near to there?

Without doubt for a home game this has to be THE MOST IMPORTANT GAME OF THE SEASON!

Im sick of brentford fans moaning now about how they were bullied off the ball and we cheated our way to victory, it was a perfect away performance full of grit now its time to batter them at home and go and play in the final we beaten them 3 times already lets do it again cmon on boro!!!.

They have an ex-players section.

Adam Forshaw warranted 36 pages, with quite a lot of bitterness. 

Surely but surely the unpredictability of typical Boro, will not raise its ugly head again and allow Brentford to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. It would be a travesty for the club, for the supporters and for Steve Gibson. Dimi should have got over his Spanish manyana moment and be looking to make amends. Vossen and Bamford to score, Leadbitter penalty. 3-0

Wembley here we come.

Surely but surely the unpredictability of typical Boro, will not raise its ugly head again and allow Brentford to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. It would be a travesty for the club, for the supporters and for Steve Gibson. Dimi should have got over his Spanish manyana moment and be looking to make amends. Vossen and Bamford to score, Leadbitter penalty. 3-0

Wembley here we come.

Id be amazed and over the moon in equal measure if we win 3-0. "typical BORO" will probably play it's part at some point as brentford now really do have nothing to lose so will probably go for it from the off. We havent really played to our full potential infront of a big home crowd and we're the team everyone'll be expected to win, that may play into their hands. I'll go brentford to open the score as we struggle to adapt to the sheer pressure of the situation, we get one back midway through the 2nd half once we get our shizzle together and hold on till the end...

Although I'd settle for 3-0 :)

Same team as the first leg I hope, but more of a 4-4-2 shape. 1-1.

Wembley here we come.

Id be amazed and over the moon in equal measure if we win 3-0. "typical BORO" will probably play it's part at some point as brentford now really do have nothing to lose so will probably go for it from the off. We havent really played to our full potential infront of a big home crowd and we're the team everyone'll be expected to win, that may play into their hands. I'll go brentford to open the score as we struggle to adapt to the sheer pressure of the situation, we get one back midway through the 2nd half once we get our shizzle together and hold on till the end...

Although I'd settle for 3-0 :)

I just have a feeling that the players will really turn it on this time for  the capacity crowd. As you say we don't always entertain and excite large crowds. So that has got to change sometime. lets hope this is the occasion and it provides the impetus and confidence needed in the final game.