oneBoro Forum

Boro v Brentford (H) Play off S/F 2nd leg 3-0 (5-1 agg)

I just have a feeling that the players will really turn it on this time for the capacity crowd. As you say we don't always entertain and excite large crowds. So that has got to change sometime. lets hope this is the occasion and it provides the impetus and confidence needed in the final game.

This...I hope...although I'd settle for 1:1.  Nervous, excited then confident and then repeat  :D

Can't wait for Friday - UTB!

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

View from the other side:

[TO BE INSERTED THIS EVENING]

Giggety...

Oo-er Mrs!

The view from their side will be a bitter and twisted one from what I've seen. Not too different fro Derby's view on us, we're apparently ugly but effective, don't play football against teams like Brentford who are supposedly superior footballing sides and instead kick lumps out of them and play hoofball.

They are supposedly the better team despite having scored 1 goal against us this season, conceded 7 and their best ever result against us was a draw, once.

Oh and supposedly the referee in the last game was inept, they should've had 2 penalties (I don't see where) and a number of our players were lucky to be on the pitch. That's the general consensus.

And they don't like Bamford either, they hate him. There's a thread on their forum detailing the highlight of the last game as when their CB took Bamford out early in the 2nd half.

They're definitely just Derby in disguise and we'll beat them for the 4th time in 1 season at the riverside. They'll be left scratching their little deluded heads as to how the far better side managed to lose to the ugly and poor Middlesbrough 4 times in a season then they'll do a Yeovil, end up in League 2 and find out why.

The chap that posts on the opposition forums, Beesotted seems a decent bloke, but the ones on the Griffin Park forum are so far up their own *** that they can see what they had for breakfast.

Evening Boro boys!! 

Totally biased view here (unlike that BoroBee bloke who posts on both forums!!  ;)  ) from a Bees fan who was at the game last week. 

Must admit you're obviously strong favourites  going into the game on Friday, particularly when you look at our record against you this season.........1 (fortunate??) goal against you in 270+ minutes doesn't make a strong case for us to go through............but.........I've got a feeling we might just pull a few surprises, not least up front, on Friday, when I reckon we could start with our 19 year old loan signing from Everton rather than Gray. (To be honest we've basically been playing with one fit (decent) forward since September and most Bees fans are astounded we've managed to get where we have on that basis alone).

A couple of comments from last weeks game.

As most of you have said (and as apparently did Jonathan Woodgate to an irate Bees fan at the game!!) you did a very "professional" job on us last week and as expected were well-drilled and difficult to breakdown. However I was surprised at the cynical and calculated way you went about the job. With each player clearly happy to 'take one for the team' in order to upset our play and kick us up in the air.............(I wonder if it might be worth considering banning players from the final if they get 2 Yellow cards in the semi-finals??..........  ;) !!) This comment from the Guardian seemed to sum things up:

".......Whitehead, who responds by booting him up into the air. That’s Middlesbrough’s fourth yellow card. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone gets sent off. They’ve been a bit dirty at times" and how about this on Forshaw's 'challenge' "Adam Forshaw steams through Diagouraga. It’s a high challenge, reckless and dangerous, and he’s very lucky to only get a booking. He could easily have been sent off".

Also, apparently your lot were the only ones making any noise on Friday night. I'm sure from where you were that was the case but suffice to say the acoustics aren't great at Griffin Park (hopefully it'll be better at our new ground......) and from where I was I hardly heard a peep other than in the 93rd minute..........and what the f*@k was with 30 of you holding up camera phones?? I thought I was at a Robbie gig!!!

For another balanced view (a bit like mine) you might want to have a read of this:

https://worldsoccertalk.com/2015/05/10/an-american-travels-to-see-championship-playoff-between-brentford-and-middlesbrough/

Some interesting comments in there:

The atmosphere was unlike any other I have experienced, hardcore fans packing terraces making as much noise as possible.

Middlesbrough started the game off very rough, hard tackling and picked up four yellow cards very early on.

Brentford equalized and Griffin Park exploded into a cauldron of noise.

It would be remiss of me not to mention how enjoyable it was to watch Brentford play.

I was secretly hoping that the match would never end as I was so won over by the atmosphere and Brentford’s free flowing attacking football.............that is how soccer is supposed to be played.......

The Middlesbrough fans were very silent during this period but this was more than made up by the noise created by the Brentford terrace.

Brentford had played so well for long periods of the match and really deserved to win the match.........

Anyway, I'm sure you've had enough of my thoughts for now!!!...........looking forward to coming back after Friday (whatever the result.....) for a bit more discussion and input from the other side.......

All the best,

Badgerbee.

YOU REDSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for coming on here badgerbee. Always nice to have sensible fans from other clubs coming on here. brentford were good on Friday, but like Woodgate said it was a very professional job. At this stage you really need to be professional, focussed and somewhat cynical. Nice guys finish last!

Despite your 'free flowing attacking football' we restricted you to very few chances and you only scored when Dimi gave you a goal.

For what it's worth I think both sets of fans were excellent. On the stream I was watching I could hear both sets of fans and they all did their clubs proud.

I do have a lot of time for brentford and with the right signings you have the ability to be a top-10 team next season too - but unfortunately for you this is our season.

Not too sure what type of game to hope for Friday. One like last Friday's or one like the Swindon v sheff Utd game currently on TV! What a cracking game this is, currently 4-3 to Swindon!

Suppose any game will do as long as we win

It's clear that Brentford haven't been in the Championship for long enough to realise that many good teams regularly do professional jobs on teams that play nice pretty football and have loads of the ball. They have no devine right to beat us due to them prettier football and our ability to disrupt their style. If they're still in the Championship for a few more seasons then they'll realise how snobby and precious they're being.

How cheap is train to London (return) with return if we get to the final from the midlands? Wondering where I can get it for a decent price and never been by train to away games.

How cheap is train to London (return) with return if we get to the final from the midlands? Wondering where I can get it for a decent price and never been by train to away games.

Usually better to book them early with an available cancellation of possible, that's when they are normally St their cheapest. Oh can bet they'll go up though towards the time, especially from Teesside areas

Interesting points badgerbee, but to be fair I'm sure that anyone could trawl the Internet and find token statements with differing views pertaining to any football match.

As far as the "kicking people into the air" stuff goes, yes there was clearly a concerted effort to prevent brentford from gathering any momentum (which is just common sense tactics against teams that like to play a passing game) and it resulted in 4 early bookings, however if you look at those bookings in isolation, Tomlins was a nothing challenge, Friends the guy kicked the ball and ran into him, adomahs was a nothing challenge, whiteheads I'll admit I can't remember. Then later on forshaws was a bit too aggressive for me and I wouldn't have been surprised if he walked. But look at the flip side, Douglas, I believe it was, went straight into the back of someone 2nd half and got off Scott free, so swings and roundabouts my friend.

the phone thing I don't get either, perhaps they're waiting for the stadium announcer to do a redition of "angels" :)

Anyway I've expressed my opinion further up that I think brentford will push us all the way on Friday and I really think they will.

Good luck next season perhaps you'll be the next Bournemouth

EDIT: I'm not being arrogant and suggesting you won't go up this season, I just don't want you to at our expense

good post, always good to get a view from the other side.

although to be fair,.when whitehead got a yellow card he didnt even touch your winger (who was diving around all night), the tackle was that late he missed the player and the ball, yet your winger decided he suddenly lost the use of his legs

good post, always good to get a view from the other side.

although to be fair,.when whitehead got a yellow card he didnt even touch your winger (who was diving around all night), the tackle was that late he missed the player and the ball, yet your winger decided he suddenly lost the use of his legs

What annoyed me was when Adomah was booked it was for stopping a counter attack from Brentford. But half an hour later in the match, Adomah beat his man and had yards to run into, but was cynically brought down before he could get into stride. But the Brentford player wasn't booked

Honestly, we did what we had to do to win the match. Away from home in the playoff semi final against a team who like to play football, it doesn't make sense to go at them. We disrupted them, we restricted their play, we harried them and honestly until the goal I wasn't worried about them for a second. And I haven't seen enough from them to think they've got enough to score at the Riverside against the best defense on the league and the best home record in the league.

We've played some good football this season and we've also ground out results when we needed to. That's why we finished 7 points clear of 5th and 6th. You have to be able to play however you need to in order to win. And we have that versatility. Whether they think we kicked lumps out of them, I don't care, go and cry to someone who gives a crap. Wins is what matters. Nothing else in this league.

Ah that feels better. Hello chaps. Excited as hell for this one. I think we have enough about us to get through to the final (which is why I've already booked my flights from Canada and my hotel!) Hopefully my confidence is well founded. I think we will see the same line up, with BamBam getting match minutes to get back into the groove following his knock. We will likely see a cautious Boro, as we have it all to lose. I wouldn't be massively surprised though to see us go out and try to put it to bed in 20mins (see wolves).

If we are final bound and premier bound,this won't be BamBam or Vossens last Boro games. If we fail to win promotion though it will be one of the last 2 atleast at I don't think we will have the pulling power to keep them at that point.

2-0 boro. Goal early and goal very late. Bam Bam and Tomlin. See you at wembley boys.