oneBoro Forum

Boro v Norwich (Wembley) Play Off Final 0-2

First of all welcome to the forum TCYG

I was getting a little frustrated on the pink in forum and in a earlier chat on here I likened it to the FMTTM forum (another Boro forum).

So how do you think you will set up to beat the Boro on Monday, will you think we will be parking the bus like we did at your place or be wary of fast attacks down the flanks.

What do you make of the Norwich trip to Wembley beforehand to 'calm nerves' and who do you see as our biggest threat.

Personally I'm nervous for this game. As Norwich have a very very good squad I think the battle in midfield is vital and the first scorer will win

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all welcome to the forum TCYG - Ty.

I was getting a little frustrated on the pink in forum and in a earlier chat on here I likened it to the FMTTM forum (another Boro forum).  - yeah that's the one I saw you mention, I just couldn't remember the initials (or knew what they stood for).

So how do you think you will set up to beat the Boro on Monday, will you think we will be parking the bus like we did at your place or be wary of fast attacks down the flanks. - I'm sensible enough to know your Carrow Road gameplan was just that; a plan for that game at our place. I've paid particular attention to the top 8's games on the FL show all season (and was placing accies accordingly, to mixed 'success'). So I've seen plenty of free flowing, attacking football from yourselves to know that's not the norm. A great defence only does half the job. It's either going to be the cagiest of cagey games or early goals are gonna open it up to swing this way and that and have us in bits. Our defence is our weakest part, so I'll always be wary of fast attacks as not only are they slow they are also prone to laps in concentration and poor judgement calls and execution. Cue clean sheet (hopefully)!

What do you make of the Norwich trip to Wembley beforehand to 'calm nerves' and who do you see as our biggest threat.  - Yeah read about that on here in my overnight Boro binge(!); it's a tried and tested move but yeah I tend to agree with one of the commenters on here that we should be approaching it as ex Prem pros not in awe of the big occasion. But for a bit of team bonding there's no harm. I don't know if AN did this with Hammy Accs in their PO final last season - I presume it was at Hampden Park? His man management skills, team planning and tactical analysis have proven time and time again to be quite astute, so in him i trust.

Personally I'm nervous for this game. As Norwich have a very very good squad I think the battle in midfield is vital and the first scorer will win - I'm sure I'll be nervous come the day, right now I'm just excited. Too excited to sleep, evidently! Yeah our midfield and forward line is top notch so I think this is an excellent match-up. The top 4 were way ahead of the next 4 who were way ahead of the rest of the (sorry) pack, so it seems just that it was us two remaining to scrap it out for the final spot. With so much at stake I'd probably say that the first goal won't necessarily be the one to dictate the remainder of the game or the result this time.

(I was gonna break your post up into multiple quotes with my responses inbetween, but italicising just seemed so much easier. that and I'm not sure how with your text editor.)

With regards the first goal. It mainly stems from if we get our noses in front we don't tend to let it slip. But if we go behind we don't tend to pull it back this season

Oooh, I've just spotted the quote tool button!

I'll use that next time.

Aren't I clever.

Answer: no.

Yeah, I'd have to trawl through our stats to know how many times we've come from behind etc. I know we definitely have on a few occasions though. Think our shooting form will be a lot better than our efforts against you last time round too. I highly doubt it'll be goalless at either end. Cue nil-nil bore draw, extra-time stalemate as noone risks anything at the death and then pens...

Whereas you were lucky we didn't bring our shooting boots that night: 20 shots, just 2 on target. 14 corners too, so plenty of set piece opportunities. But I don't want to keep going over that one game with ifs and buts and recriminations etc - I've seen more than enough of that on Facebook & the Pink 'Un. It'll be a different story from both of us come Wembley...

Norwich were lucky last time to get beat only 0-1, you should've and would've been hammered if you hadn't taken out Bamford and Vossen.

I agree, Norwich fans looking at it with rose tinted specs. Although Norwich dominated possession. We still had 3/4 great opportunities to add to that goal, where as I'm struggling to remember Norwich really testing dimi at all.

There are some games I recall where we have looked at Boro games with rose-tinted glasses.

No one likes losing lol!!

Yes welcome TCYG and thank you for your considered posts so far!

*Mark Page voice: "6 days left, that's 6 days until Wembley"

It still hasn't sank in for me that we're going to Wembley. My first ever visit. It's every football fans dream to see their club play at the home of football in front of 90,000 spectators and now it's actually going to happen for many BORO fans!

Will cherish every moment of the big day, queueing up at at Riverside, the long journey to get there, the excitement we'll get when we catch our first glimpse of Wembley, Wembley Park, watching AK walk the BORO team out, roaring on MY HOMETOWN club along with 38,000 other mad BORO fans.

It's going to be special.

Yes for the mad Boro fans!!!!

I would prefer to be known as a Boro mad fan myself!

:D

In other news, Wembley have managed to spell Middlesbrough incorrectly on the play off final tickets. oh dear hahaha!

My wife still can't believe that I'm travelling alone to meet up with DS (to her it's just a foreign guy from an internet forum) and get a ticket that's not even next to DS and his son. "So you'll be travelling all that way and spend all that money to watch a game by yourself?" Errr no, I'm watching it with 38.000 likeminded fans! She thinks it's kind of nerdy. I've been trying to explain to her the importance of the match itself and the whole experience leading up to the match, but she just drifted away. She did understand a little bit of the importance when I mentioned that the prize money was a whole lot more than the winners of the Champions League get.

My wife still can't believe that I'm travelling alone to meet up with DS (to her it's just a foreign guy from an internet forum) and get a ticket that's not even next to DS and his son. "So you'll be travelling all that way and spend all that money to watch a game by yourself?" Errr no, I'm watching it with 38.000 likeminded fans! She thinks it's kind of nerdy. I've been trying to explain to her the importance of the match itself and the whole experience leading up to the match, but she just drifted away. She did understand a little bit of the importance when I mentioned that the prize money was a whole lot more than the winners of the Champions League get.

Tell your wife that I can confirm that DS is a sane and able being. Haha! :D

We are all mad fans. I've travelled alone to 3 away matches now. They are the best ones.

Well yes, that's what I said, we didn't trouble your keeper enough/at all as we were firing blanks that night. Not sure how that's rose-tinted?

Redmond clearly forgot his mam's advice and didn't finish his smarties at half time.