oneBoro Forum

Boro v Norwich (Wembley) Play Off Final 0-2

Do we still hold the record for quickest goal against, after that final against Chelsea? If so its time we reversed that record.

Nah, I think it was beaten a few years after, ironically against Chelsea

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

For me the over-riding factor is the ability of the players and the management team to cope with the intensity of the situation, which shouldn'tbe under-estimated. The aura of wembley, the walking out into a cauldron, the build up by the press and tv over a week, the world-wide coverage, the publicity about the biggest prize in football etc all adds up, leading to lack of sleep, legs wobbling and toilet trouble. I have seen good teams freeze at Wemble before.

The norwich boss has little experience of this sort of game. Aitor hasn't played at Wembley but he has experienced huge matches and stadiums. Our assistant manager has been there and done it with hull. We also have players in the squad who can handle it. You know who I mean and how cool and calm is Jelle Vossen.

The favourites will be under even more pressure, so lets make norwich the favourires and then take them apart!

Could well be right this.  I also think the pre match stadium tour is a strange decision that could backfire on Norwich?

That said I fully expect it to be a very tight game and the first goal will be massive but i'm hoping we can handle the pressure that bit better than Norwich.

Hi Mattam, can't say I have seen it anywhere that City have a pre match tour of Wembley planned, where did you see it?

Not sure I think it's a great plan either, but after the Adams experiment failed, I have a deal more faith in Alex Neil, for such a rookie, he sure as hell knows how to man manage.

Which brings me on to a point I've been ruminating for while; all this talk of squads and players means little to me, this final is a straight fight between AK and AN, and both guys have shown some real managerial nouse. The fact that your guy came back from setbacks, such as Bournemouth and Watford, and came to Norfolk with a doosie of plan worries me!!

However, Alex Neil is nothing if he isn't a competitor, and he will aching to set the record straight.

For me the over-riding factor is the ability of the players and the management team to cope with the intensity of the situation, which shouldn'tbe under-estimated. The aura of wembley, the walking out into a cauldron, the build up by the press and tv over a week, the world-wide coverage, the publicity about the biggest prize in football etc all adds up, leading to lack of sleep, legs wobbling and toilet trouble. I have seen good teams freeze at Wemble before.

The norwich boss has little experience of this sort of game. Aitor hasn't played at Wembley but he has experienced huge matches and stadiums. Our assistant manager has been there and done it with hull. We also have players in the squad who can handle it. You know who I mean and how cool and calm is Jelle Vossen.

The favourites will be under even more pressure, so lets make norwich the favourires and then take them apart!

Could well be right this.  I also think the pre match stadium tour is a strange decision that could backfire on Norwich?

That said I fully expect it to be a very tight game and the first goal will be massive but i'm hoping we can handle the pressure that bit better than Norwich.

Hi Mattam, can't say I have seen it anywhere that City have a pre match tour of Wembley planned, where did you see it?

Not sure I think it's a great plan either, but after the Adams experiment failed, I have a deal more faith in Alex Neil, for such a rookie, he sure as hell knows how to man manage.

Which brings me on to a point I've been ruminating for while; all this talk of squads and players means little to me, this final is a straight fight between AK and AN, and both guys have shown some real  managerial nouse. The fact that your guy came back from setbacks, such as Bournemouth and Watford, and came to Norfolk with a doosie of plan worries me!!

However, Alex Neil is nothing if he isn't a competitor, and he will aching to set the record straight.

Here's the link CanaryChilled.

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/norwich-city-wembley-tour-playoffs-9275588

May well be incorrect as it is the Evening Gazette but interesting thinking if true as an empty stadium is nothing like the one they will be playing in on Monday.

Very close to call as undoubtedly the best two remaining teams in the Championship.

Thanks for the link Mattam, Hmmm, not what I would be doing, but as I have said, despite him being so goddamn young, I trust the guys judgement.

Despite saying earlier I thought it would be a shoot out twixt AK and AN, I can't get the image out of my head of your guys ripping us to shreds for a good 15 mins at Carrow Road.. ARRGGGHHH!

Adomah seemed like he was running on rocket fuel, I am hoping Neil makes our defenders watch that over a few times.

Thanks for the link Mattam, Hmmm, not what I would be doing, but as I have said, despite him being so goddamn young, I trust the guys judgement.

Despite saying earlier I thought it would be a shoot out twixt AK and AN, I can't get the image out of my head of your guys ripping us to shreds for a good 15 mins at Carrow Road.. ARRGGGHHH!

Adomah seemed like he was running on rocket fuel, I am hoping Neil makes our defenders watch that over a few times.

The game changed when Bamford got injured and I couldn't take another game like that on Monday - I'd settle for the result mind  ;)

You got a ticket CanaryChilled?  Also any idea how many tickets Norwich have sold already?

The game changed when Bamford got injured and I couldn't take another game like that on Monday - I'd settle for the result mind  ;)

You got a ticket CanaryChilled?  Also any idea how many have sold already?

I certainly couldn't bear another one like that either Mattam, not convinced we could have scored that evening if we had played till breakfast the next day.

Yeah, I got my Ticket, and happy about that! Seems like we have gone about ticket sales in 2 different ways Mattam, STH's and Priority members still have till Wednesday at 5PM to get 1 ticket per customer number, and slightly bizarrely (IMO) after that deadline expires, they will get another opportunity to get one more per CN.

You guys have seen yours go on general sale today I hear, and were all but gobbled up untill they were suspended for a while?

I've been meaning to post for a while now but after I was involved in a nasty car accident, it seemed that I couldn't sort my emotions out, made a few blurts out on here, in my personal life and at work and made my now condition worse. However, I am now medicated on the mend and moving from Wales back to Marske as i'm not really coping living on my own.

I have an apology I need to give, but I'll do that in PM, but I digress and I coiuldn't help but post now :)

I watched all four of the play off games and it really is going to be one hell of a game, what I can gather is that the City fans seem to suggest that their team is slow off the mark and hope that AN will change things a little.

What I can't grasp though is all this talk or Norwich being a better team, I always think that with 3rd to 6th the teams are on level par, after all you cant get promoted automatically but you have to play each other, and thats with no disrespect but 3rd means as much as 6th.

As well as that, we have international players, players with pedigree, no more or less than Norwich's team, you cant say Boro dont have strength and depth, or that we are just defence behind Bamford.

I think it is about as even as you are going to get, the difference being our defense holding out longer than their attack, hopefully meaning that we score before them and they loose a bit of confidence.

I'm all for the opposing fans saying theyre going to win, thats their prerogative right? but to make out we are any less deserving or talented, well it must be all that flat land messing with their sight.

I agree that a tour of an empty sterile wembley is no preparation for a place packed with partisan nutters. They would be better off going for a pre-match meal in wetherspoons! And why is it that no team chooses to play in brown shorts? Ideal for a first game at wembley.

three players for you ayala 200k, friend 200k and leadbitter free. i'd take them over any other players in their positions in this league.

i'd also take adomah, bamford, clayton, gibson and vossen over any of the norwich players.

basically i think we are better individually and have a better system and manager, role on wembly were gonna smash it.

not bothered about being diplomatic. i dont care about norwich and their sulk down the tunnel cry baby manager. this is war, winner takes all.

Aitor Karanka is the main man, we will be ready for war.

will norwich be ready for a war? they better be.

UTB.

three players for you ayala 200k, friend 200k and leadbitter free. i'd take them over any other players in their positions in this league.

i'd also take adomah, bamford, clayton, gibson and vossen over any of the norwich players.

basically i think we are better individually and have a better system and manager, role on wembly were gonna smash it.

not bothered about being diplomatic. i dont care about norwich and their sulk down the tunnel cry baby manager. this is war, winner takes all.

Aitor Karanka is the main man, we will be ready for war.

will norwich be ready for a war? they better be.

UTB.

DK That's the biggest load of rubbish I've read on here do far. And inaccurate to boot.......

George Friend only cost £100,000 :D :D :D

1. Will Bamford be fit, and if so should he start over Kike?

A. If he's fully fit, then yes, if not no.

2. What's your score prediction?

A. 2-0 Boro, Leadbitter both goals.

3. Will we play like we did at Carrow Road, or the Riverside, or neither?

A. Neither, both teams will be more up for this and will both play attacking football.

4. Why do so many opposing players underestimate us and feel the need to be disrespectful in the press?

A. Not sure really, mind games I think but does us a favor, could be the media making a meal out of it also though.

5. Does that actually benefit us?

A. Think is makes Aitor's team talk easier.

6. Undoubtedly the most important game of the season, but is this the most important game in your lifetime? If not, which was more important and why?

A. Being only 17 I was only just born in the 98 cup and was only 8 when we won the Carling Cup and only 10 when we made the UEFA Cup final(I do remember crying when we lost though), so in my lifetime I would say definitely, cannot think of a bigger game for me!

1. Will Bamford be fit, and if so should he start over Kike?

A. Yes if 100% fit, if not then no and we should use him as an second half impact sub if required.

2. What's your score prediction?

A. First goal will be massive and I reckon the score will be 2-0 to whoever get's it.  Boro have proven we are more than capable of getting it though so hopefully to us.

3. Will we play like we did at Carrow Road, or the Riverside, or neither?

A. Neither as this is a proper cup final.  Neither team are head and shoulders above the other (apart from looks wise according to Mrs Misterweed :) )

4. Why do so many opposing players underestimate us and feel the need to be disrespectful in the press?

A. I don't think they underestimate us it's more as a result of the fact we must be so frustrating to play against because of our defence being so strong.

5. Does that actually benefit us?

A. Yes .... hopefully.

6. Undoubtedly the most important game of the season, but is this the most important game in your lifetime? If not, which was more important and why?

A. Seen Boro promoted and relegated a fair few times and in a few cup finals over the years but the money involved in this game due to the new TV deal is just stupid.