oneBoro Forum

Boro v Norwich (Wembley) Play Off Final 0-2

If we play like we did in the first 15 minutes against you I'll be hitch-hiking back by 1520hrs…

Lets hope the game is open and honest.

It is of course the cruellest way to decide a contest which has already spanned 46 matches and over 80 hours…but the theatre of it is what appeals to TV, the betting fraternity and the league I suppose.

Looking forward to meeting some of your lads before kick-off and getting some great memories to take home with me, even if the result isn't quite what I am hoping for.

Slightly more relaxed than I was prior to putting Ipswich to the sword but I'm sure the nerves will start to kick in on Friday/Saturda/ Sunday…

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

If we play like we did in the first 15 minutes against you I'll be hitch-hiking back by 1520hrs…

Lets hope the game is open and honest.

It is of course the cruellest way to decide a contest which has already spanned 46 matches and over 80 hours…but the theatre of it is what appeals to TV, the betting fraternity and the league I suppose.

Looking forward to meeting some of your lads before kick-off and getting some great memories to take home with me, even if the result isn't quite what I am hoping for.

Slightly more relaxed than I was prior to putting Ipswich to the sword but I'm sure the nerves will start to kick in on Friday/Saturda/ Sunday…

Let the best team win (as long as it's Boro and I'm not too fussed about it being that open and honest either  ;) ).

I'm confident in the Boro team/management and our mentality but anything can happen on the day with mistakes/refereeing decisions and so on and the game will be close.  Without doubt the best two teams left in this league (the table doesn't lie).  Hope it's a great day for all but especially the Boro!

UTB!

I revisit my first ever Boro game on Monday. It was 92/93 season where it finished 3-3. Despite wanting Ipswich to win in the play offs I always had a soft spot for Norwich through the 90s mainly due to green being my favourite colour remembering their UEFA Cup run and Jeremy Goss's stunner vs Bayern. Generally I think I have happy memories of this fixture I can only think of Norwich's last promotion season that they have had the better of us. Fingers crossed this continues to be the case perhaps a cracking high scoring classic in our favour would be nice although I would settle of a comfortable 2-0. Anyway best wishes Norwich promotion is yours for the taking next season if you dont mind ;)

Checking my emails last thing at night, the missus has been doing her pub research at work today(!)...

"If cabbage gets us there early enough

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/police_reveal_the_10_pubs_norwich_city_fans_can_drink_in_near_wembley_1_4078778

I have google them

Crystals Club, - opp stadium, it's a wine bar, club. lounge type thing. It's a no.

The Parish, - 120 Wembley Park Drive 5 mins from stadium writing outside looks like an Irish pub so it's a no but it is an actual pub rather than a wine bar, club, lounge type thing!

First Class Sports Bar, - 125 Wembley Park Drive. It looks like a fast food restaurant and I hate sports bars. It's a no.

The Wembley Tavern, 121 Wembley Park Drive, bills itself as a bar and dining room - are there any actual pubs on this list??? it's a no.

Flyers Last Stand, 45 Blackbird Hill - hard to find any info, makes you wonder about who runs this place if they haven't bothered to put themselves on the net so it's a no.

The Torch, a John Barras pub in other words Wetherspoonsesque. Website is more about food than about drink so it's a no (unless we want food) B.I.T.E. don't rate it.

Crock of Gold, 23 Bridge Road. Again, B.I.T.E don't like it. It's a sports pub that is yet another Irish bar. Is this the first example of London being behind the times? Irish bars are in decline everywhere else it seems. They're so 90's. It's a no.

Moore Spice, An Indian restaurant slash sports bar. Looks like Boro must have been given all the actual pubs!

Watkins Folly, 1 Empire Way, another Irishy, sports, restaurant, bar type all things to all people place. I WANT A PUB! Grr.

Blue Check Café. - It's a restaurant.

So we haven't actually been allocated any actual proper pubs. Rubbish.

Meanwhile Boro can use this...."‏

http://www.theliquorstation.co.uk/

...As you can see, she's not impressed! She likes a good pub, a proper pub. One that serves beer. Or preferably sweet cider for her. We have loads of those in Norwich. BITE btw is Beer in the Evening, a pub rating website for proper beer drinkers. Oh and Cabbage is the colloquial, derogatory name for our club's coach service (officially Club Canary, but that's a bit saaaad).

Can't remember any segregation of the pubs for the FA Vase in 2008, but then there were were very few of the oppo (Kirkham & Wesham) and tons of Lowie. Was certainly mingling with the Brummies before and after on the streets and in the many bars of Cardiff in 2002. Shame it has to be this way. :dodgy:

[EDIT:] Almost forgot I returned to Cardiff with the missus and my best mate (and another of his mates) for their - Sheffield Wednesday's - League 1 Play Off Final extra time win vs Hartlepool in 2005.

Obviously I'm not about to wish you guys good luck or anything ;)  but I hope you're looking forward to Monday as much as we are.

Our team is likely to be:

Ruddy

Whittaker - Martin - Bassong - Olsson

That much is set in stone.  I don't rate Martin at CB and I wish he'd pick Elliott Bennett at RB and Ryan Bennett (no relation!) at CB; but he won't, so that's what it'll be.  Both our FBs are decent going forward; Olsson is also a good defender, Whittaker less so.

The rest is more fluid, my best guess is:

Tettey

Redmond - Johnson - Howson

Hoolahan

Jerome

in some formation or other (either 4-1-4-1 or 4-2-3-1 - if the former, Hoolahan "leftish", if the latter, Johnson tracking back more). 

Tettey will definitely sit in front of the back four and protect the defence.  We're dodgy against hoofball when combined with a high pressing style - you boys tend to play it on the deck but have your irritating forwards who will get behind our back four, so Tettey will probably spend an amount of the match quite a way back.  He's great at breaking up play and distributing.

Redmond has pace and skill but his end product is questionable.  Johnson has surprised a lot of us, well, me anyway, this term - he's a new man and one of our best players now.  Howson is great going forward, not so great tracking back.  Hoolahan is our creative engine.  He loses the ball more than he should but when he doesn't he creates an awful lot for us.

If he hadn't been banned, Grabban would have been starting in place of Jerome.  He's faster and makes more runs which suits our style under Alex Neill.  However since his stupid red card, Jerome has done a great job.  He's more physical than Grabban and less mobile but always puts a solid shift in.  I expect him to start as it would be really harsh on him to get dropped having taken us through the semis.

Of our subs, the ones likely to appear are: Dorrans, probably for Redmond especially if it goes to extra time.  He can score a goal and would probably be a penalty taker if it came to that.  Were it not for penalties, he'd probably replace Hoolahan, but Hoolahan rarely misses a pen.  Then Grabban, for Jerome; and Hooper, for A N Other depending on how the manager is feeling on the day.  Hooper moves well and links especially well with Hoolahan but must be third choice behind Jerome and Grabban.

One gripe: I'm not sure which of our clubs has f*cked up the tickets more.  Our set-up has been a complete farce, I understand you allowed four-tickets-per, which will result in a lot of touting.  You'd think the clubs would be better set up for this kind of thing; sadly, ours wasn't and maybe yours wasn't either.

From the perspective of the day out I'm glad we're playing you.  I've always got on with Boro fans I've met - usually on trains going to or from games.  I think there'll be a good atmosphere between the fans before and after the game.  Obviously I want us to win(!) but I'm not just being polite in saying if we do then I hope you guys come up next year.  I know they've segregated the pubs but I for one am drinking in central London before the game (no huge queues for weak beer in plastic glasses) and I'm sure many of you will be too.  I hope to see some of you there!

Yeah, saw that interview via our YouTube channel earlier this evening. You can play a lethal drinking game with AN's interviews; simply take a drink every time he drops a "sorta" - two drinks if he drops one when there is only a definite to the context ie. "we sorta won"

Not sure if there are regional restrictions on this, but here's the local extended highlights of our 2nd leg:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05wdslc/late-kick-off-east-16052015

ps. Never seen the presenter, James Burridge, before (so he's not our normal guy).

Actually I do not think anyone yet has dared to mention a score!

For our own benefit I think it will do us the world of good if we were to get the opening goal and hand on heart I do not see any less than 3 goals being scored on the day.

This game is as 50/50 as they come. Both teams have some great players. What we can really hope for is that AK outsmarts Alex Neill. AK has been a***st some big games both as a player and on the sidelines and he must have learned something from Mourinho going into games like this one.

One thing is for sure. We absolutely cannot go behind. That is vital.