oneBoro Forum

Junior football coaching?

For some time now I've been thinking about approaching some local junior teams to try and get some voluntary work helping out with coaching. I'm wondering if anyone is currently involved in coaching at all, junior or adult?

I don't have any previous coaching experience so I'll be looking to join a current team setup to gain some experience and get a taste before potentially looking into the level 1 certificate in football coaching.

If anyone has any experience with the level 1, 2, or Uefa B coaching badge process it would be good to hear your opinions on the courses. 

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Just seen this, not sure if you have found an answer by now

Any FA charter standard club will welcome you and put you through your level one, child safeguarding and first aid for free, my club has also put me through my level one GK badge. they'll also pay for your DBS check

Clubs are always looking for more coaches so just pop in to a club and ask to see their chairman

What area are you from? i could reccomend some clubs with good set-ups that i've been to.

And as for the courses, i never did my level one, i was fast tracked to level 2 by my college, but in general i think the courses are fairly poor, as was found when i wrote my dissertation on the subject. it's too much of a syllabus rather than actual coach education, when i did my level 1 GK i used a coaching technique i had learnt at university ( a much higher level than a level one course) and the tutor actually questioned why i did it and because it wasn't on the syllabus actually tried to discourage me from doing it in future.

You're much better off just learning from experience and experimentation IMO, and it's also what my dissertation found, but unfortunately to coach football you need to have or be willing to get a level one badge.

Just seen this, not sure if you have found an answer by now

Any FA charter standard club will welcome you and put you through your level one, child safeguarding and first aid for free, my club has also put me through my level one GK badge. they'll also pay for your DBS check

Clubs are always looking for more coaches so just pop in to a club and ask to see their chairman

What area are you from? i could reccomend some clubs with good set-ups that i've been to.

And as for the courses, i never did my level one, i was fast tracked to level 2 by my college, but in general i think the courses are fairly poor, as was found when i wrote my dissertation on the subject. it's too much of a syllabus rather than actual coach education, when i did my level 1 GK i used a coaching technique i had learnt at university ( a much higher level than a level one course) and the tutor actually questioned why i did it and because it wasn't on the syllabus actually tried to discourage me from doing it in future.

You're much better off just learning from experience and experimentation IMO, and it's also what my dissertation found, but unfortunately to coach football you need to have or be willing to get a level one badge.

Strange how you didn't have to do your level 1, when did you do it? just signed up to do my level 2 next month and one of the requirements was i had obtained my level 1 with the english FA otherwise i couldn't of signed up for the course.

I've also had a completely different experience with my club as i wasn't allowed to join until i had obtained my level 1, which included safe guarding children and FA first aid course and DBS check and my club only put 50% towards my level 1/2 and nothing towards my DBS check.

@smogter

I'd say get into it as soon as you can, i love it and i'm going to make a career out of it, going to do my UFEA B next summer and then looking to apply and try get myself a job at boro acadamey as a youth coach, future boro manager i hope, long way and alot to learn though as i'm still only 23, free feel to ask me any questions if you need any help

I was part of Football Futures, and had a lot of experience in coaching so if recommended you can be put in straight at level 2, there was a few of us who did it, it'll be four years a go now i did it.

Don't want to slag your club off as i don't know the size of it but most clubs will pay for your qualification, after all it's something you aren't getting paid for, when i interviewed coaches about their coaching experiences for my dissertation they said the main reason for not doing further qualifications was the cost, all but one of my interviewees said that that their club had paid for the minimum requirements to coach for them (not just in football though), in my opinion, and as my results found you shouldn't have to pay to coach voluntary, people were even miffed with things like travel costs.

The sooner you get into coaching the better IMO, it's something you learn through experience rather than through qualifications.

I simply can't afford to do my UEFA B licence at the minute, but i've studied coaching at that level through my degree, so that will support any jb applications i put in.

Once you've done your level 2 you can apply for positions in youth teams, i know NUFC often have jobs going for level 2 coaches for up to £20 an hour, that's what i'm looking to do when i get back from Magaluf in september, and then when i can afford the UEFA B i'll do it.

Don't worry my club is about *** to be fair.

I never knew you could apply for coaching jobs at academy's with your level 2 thought you had to alreddy have your uefa b