oneBoro Forum

First team squad discussion....George Friend

I'm a little baffled when it comes to Wildschut - I know there's been talk of developing him as a player but still think we should have seen more game time from him to turn him into that player. He has some neat skills, cracking pace, though from what little I've seen seems a bit of a head down player, not looking for those around him. May very well be wrong about that though having seen so little!

I can't imagine he's on a big wage so keep him and see if the project works out, but presumably he must start earning a place this season.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised we didn't see more of him last season, Carayol's injury and Reach's form you would have thought would have allowed him a bit more pitch time. Makes you wonder whether his attitude hasn't been what Karanka expects or demands?

Anyway, now Downing is coming back he's got no chance! :p

Where does this whole 'project' come from? All I can see is Karanka saying we may have to wait until next season to see the best of him. Yet project yanic seems to be gospel on here.

Yanic's a player the club have chased for two years before signing and at the moment he looks like a Mogga signing.

Last season left wing was a problem area with Reach lacking confidence. During the course of the season we tried AA, Bamford and Tomlin there without any great success. Despite this Yanic failed to force his way near the team.

He's a year left on his contract be intereted to see what happens with him this season

I think Yanic could hit a streak. But overall I think he is a limited player (same as I think of Carayol). And thats the reason he is not playing. Still young and might adapt to Karankas wishes. But might as well play zero games upcomming season.

I hope Im wrong...

If he isn't sold this summer then I fully anticipate that he will be involved in the first team. With just one year left on his contract neither part wins anything from him sitting in the reserves and getting the odd game. I hope he has trained hard and adapted to our style and the demands of the Championship. He could yet prove a succes. He seems like a strong lad while he is lightning quick so with better ball control he could prove usefull to chasing balls over the top and fighting off defenders (sounds so easy).

From what I saw last season, he seemed like a decent player. Can he challenge for a first time space more permanently? Depends on summer business.

If the rumors surrounding Downing are true, then he probably doesn't get much of a look in.

I just wish the club could announce something soon, the suspense isn't good for me...

Ok moving on to arguably the longest current serving professional player on Boro's books Luke Williams, you know the guy that seems as if he has been here forever and is never seen unless you support another team as he probably is playing elsewhere on a continual loan period.

Now many were surprised to see that his contract was extended yet again and is again available for "let's send him out to see if he can get better"

What gives with this man? Is he a Boro player or not and why on earth do we keep him?

I'd love to see Luke make it with the Boro, but I don't think it's going to happen. Seems to have talent in abundance but doesn't always seem to apply himself

You have to think after we bring in a couple of strikers, which we're bound to do, he'll go further down the pecking order

A seasons loan deal out you would imagine and an eventual permanent departure?

ive had it with the fella now tbh ,  hes had more than enough time and a few fleeting opportunities to convince more than one manager and were still where we were 5 years or so ago .

theres obviously something there as some media and coaches have raved about him at times regarding potential but you can only have so much patience .

Just don't understand how he keeps getting contracts even though he never seems to break through with any manager.

He's undoubtedly got potential otherwise he wouldn't keep getting contracts, but at what point do you stop giving him chances

This is surely his last season to do anything. I'd imagine that if he doesn't break through this season, or at least have a very good loan spell elsewhere, he will be moved on next summer.

For the sake of his own career he should go. He has failed to impress the last two managers, so I doubt he will ever be good enough for the first team. I imagine his contract is too good for him to go to another team before it runs out, and he is happy with reserve football or going out on loan.

What game was it when him and reach both scored a screamer at the riverside?

It was Burnley at home a few years ago. Nicky Bailey also scored a very good goal in that game, but it was compete overshadowed by the other two