oneBoro Forum

Duplicate transfer window threads

The summer transfer window thread is intended to keep everything all in one place so that we don't have multiple threads being created for every aspect of the transfer window. You know the kind of thing we could get: "The left wing position", "Poll: Downing at any cost?", "Return of the prodigal" et al.

The catch-all nature of the thread is part of its attraction and I, for one, am happy to spend the time needed to catch up on each day's developments - even when there aren't any and members have been alleviating the boredom with the latest pun of the day. :)

However, for those occasions where real life gets in the way, it would sometimes be nice to have a quick-read version and a couple of members have already had a go at creating something suitable. Unfortunately, I fear that such efforts are doomed to failure because the inevitable result is that we end up with two places to look for transfer news, instead of one. So is there a solution to this problem?

What might work would be to maintain a summary of events in the first post of the thread. The advantage of this is that everything would be back in one place, including a concise version of developments. The disadvantage is that we would need someone to keep the opening post up to date.

First off, what do people think about having a summary in the opening post?

If it's a sensible idea, have we got a volunteer to be our expert summariser?

The summer transfer window thread is intended to keep everything all in one place so that we don't have multiple threads being created for every aspect of the transfer window. You know the kind of thing we could get: "The left wing position", "Poll: Downing at any cost?", "Return of the prodigal" et al.

The catch-all nature of the thread is part of its attraction and I, for one, am happy to spend the time needed to catch up on each day's developments - even when there aren't any and members have been alleviating the boredom with the latest pun of the day. :)

However, for those occasions where real life gets in the way, it would sometimes be nice to have a quick-read version and a couple of members have already had a go at creating something suitable. Unfortunately, I fear that such efforts are doomed to failure because the inevitable result is that we end up with two places to look for transfer news, instead of one. So is there a solution to this problem?

What might work would be to maintain a summary of events in the first post of the thread. The advantage of this is that everything would be back in one place, including a concise version of developments. The disadvantage is that we would need someone to keep the opening post up to date.

First off, what do people think about having a summary in the opening post?

If it's a sensible idea, have we got a volunteer to be our expert summariser?

I think that's a very good idea, it saves all the nonsense of having people discussing the same things in multiple threads. As for the volunteer, I don't have enough time to update it on a regular basis, but I think our resident rumour man KM is tailor made for that task.

How about having a separate thread for transfer stories, updated daily, but only by a single poster, and is locked. So it can be read only, and all discussion is still on the main thread.

How about having a separate thread for transfer stories, updated daily, but only by a single poster, and is locked, so it can be read, but all discussion is still on the main thread.

I like this idea

How about having a separate thread for transfer stories, updated daily, but only by a single poster, and is locked, so it can be read, but all discussion is still on the main thread.

When 2plus2 tried to do this his thread got waylaid with a discussion about the thread itself, along with other mischievous stuff. The snag is that locking the thread would have left him locked out as well.

Not sure about how 2plus2 would feel about me restoring his deleted thread, cleaning it up and ensuring that it stays cleaned up, as an ongoing thing?

I said to do that type of thing for the last two transfer threads!

One person in control who just updates it after every day. That way you don't have to read a million pages to find out that Jelle Vossen ate a bannana

I said to do that type of thing for the last two transfer threads!

One person in control who just updates it after every day. That way you don't have to read a million pages to find out that Jelle Vossen ate a bannana

I heard it was a kiwi fruit

Maybe the moderating team can update such a closed thread? We're always more or less one moderator online at any given time. We could just put a time stamp on each update. Example:

30. June. 15:30. Boro have reportedly rejected 4 million from WBA for Friend.

1. July, 14:30. Boro rumored to have offered 4.5 million for Murphy. Rejected by Ipswich.

We have a volunteer.............well done BD though I had thought the same thing before coming on line.

Only possible problem would be just how much discussion and debate and going off on a tangent would result after the initial posting.

Why does everybody get their knickers in a twist over threads? A few of us were fed up of reading about random players being linked with other clubs and thought it would be nice to have a Boro only transfer thread, after the initial discussions about where it would fit into the scheme of things, it seems to be working. People are posting about BORO transfer possibilities on it, whilst people are discussing other teams transfers on the general transfer thread. What's the problem?

I'd prefer to read just one transfer thread, but that's just me. I like all the discussions that go on, but I can't be chewed reading two threads that'll likely talk about the same things.

And besides, I think the only reason people are talking about other teams is because there's nothing going on with Boro at the moment, it'll be focused more on us when we start making signings etc.