oneBoro Forum

Transfer Window - Summer 2015

@sorourkeITV: Not terrific news for @Boro STV have rung up asking for shots of @VossenJelle who's being linked with CELTIC.

Rumours gathering pace that Celtic have had a £1.9m bid accepted for Jelle Vossen. Expect to see a bid from us soon if we seriously want him if not, meltdown...

Is it ok to moan now then? :P

Who's that guy on Twitter? And why should we believe him? Could simply be for a rumours preview thing.

He's the sports journalist for ITV Tyne Tees

• Replies 23.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd be disappointed for Jelle if he went to Celtic , he is a much better player than that standard . He seems a decent guy and is someone who I will look out for even if he don't come back to boro ! I hope he doesn't go to Celtic for his own career ... Actually rather that than another championship club .

I'd be disappointed for Jelle if he went to Celtic , he is a much better player than that standard . He seems a decent guy and is someone who I will look out for even if he don't come back to boro ! I hope he doesn't go to Celtic for his own career ... Actually rather that than another championship club .

I think it's the perfect level for him. His best game for boro was against Millwall essentially a league 1 team (a similar level to most of the scotish prem). At best he's an average championship striker. Moving to Scotland means he can look like a legend, play champions league football and possibly get a big move down south. There's the added benefit that everyone who was caught up in vossenmania can say how great he is and how we missed out on him.

If he moves to sheff wed and has as much impact on the league as rantie did then his careers over the legend dies and twitteratti all go to football manager

How about this guy for a striker, Frazier Campbell? Haven't heard about him for ages but he always looked good when I seen him. Have a feeling he's injured like but not sure.

He's just such an average player, his record isn't really that special either. If we signed him as a backup striker I'd be ok with it but in my opinion we need someone a lot better to be our first choice striker if we want to go up.

Campbell has always looked good from when I've seen him bet he would be cheap 1m if that

How about this as another perspective. Campbell scored only 13 goals in 1.5 seasons at Cardiff. 

In his 1st full season, 36 games in the league and scored 6. He also had 3 in 3 cup games. 

Not exactly set the league alight scoring form. Money would be better spent on bringing in someone else.

I don't think counting the other million (for last season's loan) loads is fair in response to what MBP is saying.

That million is already spent in LAST year's calculations and budgets. If we buy Vossen now, he will cost £2m (it's the fee banded about on here so I'll use it) out of this year's budget. If we don't sign him and we sign someone else for £2m, that's still £2m out of this year's budget gone, plus the million out of last year's budget we payed for Jelle.

People have to just forget about that loan fee now and move on. Personally I don't think we'll find another striker of the same quality as JV for the price being said.

I knew nothing of the guy before he signed, but I've been won over by him during the season. I think his work rate  and intelligence on the pitch is fantastic, and now he's had a season to get accustomed to the Championship he could be a real asset

Sorry to reinforce the stereotype but I disagree.  The loan fee has to be included as part of it as that is the total of what we will end up spending on him.  The only reason we got him on loan in the first place is because of the loan fee or he wouldn't have even been here last season and I guarantee you that Genk will have considered his value and would have worked the money they've already got from him into that.  So if Genk are willing to sell him now for £2m or whatever their valuation ends up as, it's only because of the money they've already received for him from us.  That must be obvious to everyone?  You can't separate his price tag now from this to make it seem like he's cheaper. 

The quality of JV is a different argument.  He isn't a number 10 but then doesn't seem to be clinical enough to play as a number 9 either.  He scored 7 goals last season which wasn't enough to get him into the top 50 goalscorers.  He only scored in 5 of his games (also one cup game and one play off). There was the odd moment of quality but they were few and far between and for people to try and claim otherwise is ludicrous in my opinion.  He was the least influential of our attacking players last season.  I don't think he fits with either of the two we already have so I'm unclear as to where he would fit in with the team unless we buy someone else to play alongside him as well.

On the flip side of this, he certainly works hard and appears to have the 'right' attitude, which is useful to have in a squad.  I think it was clear that he became first choice along with Bamford.  As I said there were a few moments of quality suggesting there could be more to come.  He has had a season with us now so it may be easier for him to come back than to sign someone else.  For similar reasons his experience of a year in English football may allow him to hit the ground running this time around.

I don't rate him as highly as other people clearly do and I don't see how he fits with what we've got as I don't think he truly fitted last season.  That's not to say I think he's a bad player as I don't.  To turn this discussion around, do people think that a forward line of Vossen, Kike and Tomlin can get us promoted?  If the answer is no then what is the argument for signing Vossen?

Well I'm going to have to disagree with you here regarding the loan fee.

The question asked was 'who would we get that's better than vossen for 2million?'

Regardless off who we bought the outlay at this point would still be 2 million. If we got ***o for 2 mil we've still paid the loan fee for vossen.

Well I'm going to have to disagree with you here regarding the loan fee.

The question asked was 'who would we get that's better than vossen for 2million?'  

Regardless off who we bought the outlay at this point would still be 2 million. If we got ***o for 2 mil we've still paid the loan fee for vossen.

Yeah I completely understand that point.  But the only reason Vossen would be available for that amount is precisely because of the money they made from the loan fee bumping the amount up, for us or anyone else who ends up buying him.  So my point still stands, the fee will be lower now because of the loan fee and like it or not that is what we will have spent on him in total.  If we'd signed him during last season would the loan amount still have been irrelevant to some people or would they have included it in the transfer fee? What's the difference to signing him a few months later?  

In terms of who is available for £2m, I have absolutely no idea.  But if we can find someone that scores 15 goals for that amount then he may well be better than Vossen.  Do you think that's an impossibility because I don't.

Again though I'll ask the same question, do you or anyone else think we can get promoted with Vossen, Kike and Tomlin as our attackers next season?  If the answer to that is no then what is the argument for signing him at all regardless of the cost?  We need to sign the best striker we can find and I don't believe that is Vossen.  I kind of hope he is because I think we may well end up signing him but nothing I saw last season suggests it to me.