oneBoro Forum

Transfer Window - Summer 2015

So we have 5 million to spend on a 30 year old attacking midfielder on massive wages when we only have one striker at the club? Sounds very irrational to me and I just don't believe it.

• Replies 23.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What were Bamford/Vossen/Omeruo/whitehead/woodgate/fredericks/amorebieta all on wages wise?

All premiership/international footballers. That must have cleared a hell of a lot from the wage bill?

We must have made in excess of £3m from the gate receipts/TV from the play off final. Season tickets are up about 5000 I believe. Shirts are selling out as soon as they arrive in the shop.

We might, just might have enough to persuade Downing?

Imagine how much extra merchandise we would sell with his face/name on?

I think if the club have convinced him of their ambition he would definitely consider it.

Or am in totally dreaming?

I sure would be first in line to buy a Stewart Downing limited edition Toothbrush..  :rolleyes:

This Sherwood dinner with Downing sounds like utter tripe. I can't see the link?

I can't really see the link either, it is just what I've heard... Friend to Villa to fund the deal perhaps? I do find it quite funny how Sherwood having dinner with someone from our club is the hard thing to believe in all this, I personally don't see Downing dropping to the Championship just yet, he is still a decent Premier League player, despite his ties to us. :P

I sure would be first in line to buy a Stewart Downing limited edition Toothbrush..  :rolleyes:

Haha I did mean shirts/scarves etc...

But I will be buying my Stewart Downing egg cup, coffee mug, baby romper, shampoo, commemorative champagne, car window sticker and wooly hat!

I know it is on a much smaller scale with us but don't big clubs often offset large financial outlays against the extra income from tickets and merchandise brought by a marquee signing?

It wouldn't just be a question of affording Downings wages but also the commitment over the length of a contract. At 30, IF he moves on he will surely be looking for comparable wages to what he's on at West Ham and a two or three year deal.

It wouldn't just be a question of affording Downings wages but also the commitment over the length of a contract. At 30, IF he moves on he will surely be looking for comparable wages to what he's on at West Ham and a two or three year deal.

Do you not think he would accept terms on reduced wages in the championship but that would double were we to get promoted?

Downing has been playing a central role in midfield for WHU. The central player in a diamond formation. Virtually the much vaunted and elusive 10#. He is also an excellent corner and free kick taker. Could make Tomlin surplus to requirements and give Leadbitter a corner taking break.

I can definitely see Downing being interested in a return. Seems like West Ham's new boss wants his own players and the board are willing to back him. Which will probably leave Downing out in the cold. Yes, a premier league side could easily get him. But maybe Stewy might just see us and think he can give us the extra quality that was missing last season to make that push up into the top two this coming season. I'm certain he would be interested and it would appeal. The only question is money. How much would he cost (in fee and wages)? How much do we have? And how much would we be willing to spend on him?

But would Stewy be interested in a return? I'm certain he would. He's a boro lad and we proved last season we were close. We'll just have to watch this space...

Reach, downing, carayol n tomlin (to some extent) all competing for the same spot lw surely not id of thought karanka if he does get downing would either get read of reach or carayol to try n soften the blow of downings wages a bit.