oneBoro Forum

Transfer Window - Summer 2015

I highly doubt that "reshaping the entire front line" just meant swapping Vossen for Stuani. Frankly I wouldn't be confident with just Bamford and Kike either, considering Stuani seems to be more a CF than a line-leading striker.

Bamford, as we've seen, cannot effectively play up top in our 4-2-3-1, and goes missing frequently when isolated in games (Bournemouth, Watford, Play-Off Final). For me "experienced championship striker" simply has to refer to somebody else, whose had more than 1 successful season in this league.

Bamford would have scored over 20 goals for us last season if he had been played up front from the start of the season.  As it was he got very close and was injured in the games you mention at the back end of the season and shouldn't have been playing.

It's utterly incorrect to say he cannot play effectively up top in a 4-2-3-1

• Replies 23.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Talk here is when they get the 7 mill Forest want for MA they'll make a loan to buy bid for Carayol rumoured at 2.5 mill.

I know 'a guy' at Forest who mentioned Carayol to me a few weeks ago, with an Antonio deal seems like they'll put in a loan to buy offer for Muzzy.

Forest are big on long term targets I can see all of this being true what Im hearing, hope we reject seems like Muzzys back to a good fitness level and can contribute but if Forest sell Antonio he's without doubt their no1 target.

I highly doubt that "reshaping the entire front line" just meant swapping Vossen for Stuani. Frankly I wouldn't be confident with just Bamford and Kike either, considering Stuani seems to be more a CF than a line-leading striker.

Bamford, as we've seen, cannot effectively play up top in our 4-2-3-1, and goes missing frequently when isolated in games (Bournemouth, Watford, Play-Off Final). For me "experienced championship striker" simply has to refer to somebody else, whose had more than 1 successful season in this league.

Are you serious? He scored 20 odd goals last season?

I would have thought Woody returning was less about Downing and more about Baptiste being injured? I would think Karanka may have had a word with him and asked him to reconsider?

The Bamford stuff is interesting. You'd have to assume if it's true then Chelsea must have had some kind of re-think about it as I'd be fairly certain that their intention was to have him playing somewhere in the Premier League this season or in a top division somewhere in Europe. I wonder if the options were not as good they'd hoped that they'd be.

I recognise that he was decent for us last year lads but the fact is he isn't built for playing the lone striker role. Doesn't have the strength nor aerial ability to bring down our long balls and send others into play. Obviously when we're playing against shabbite teams who don't have the quality to stifle us he does well, but whenever I saw us play against a half-decent team we were very, very easy to defend against with Bamford upfront on his own.

Ayala and Gibson will inevitably hoof it upto him, he'll lose it, back to square one. It's why we got battered at the end of the season and ended up losing out on promotion. I'm happy to have him with us don't get me wrong, but I want someone in the Murphy-esque mould who can dominate a defence through sheer physicality to play alongside him.

His record in that position last season says otherwise. I can't actually believe this is up for debate. I recognise you have your opinion though and your welcome to it :)

I recognise that he was decent for us last year lads but the fact is he isn't built for playing the lone striker role. Doesn't have the strength nor aerial ability to bring down our long balls and send others into play. Obviously when we're playing against shabbite teams who don't have the quality to stifle us he does well, but whenever I saw us play against a half-decent team we were very, very easy to defend against with Bamford upfront on his own.

Ayala and Gibson will inevitably hoof it upto him, he'll lose it, back to square one.  It's why we got battered at the end of the season and ended up losing out on promotion. I'm happy to have him with us don't get me wrong, but I want someone in the Murphy-esque mould who can dominate a defence through sheer physicality to play alongside him.

Whilst I understand what you're saying and agree to a certain extent, I think signing Downing is a clear signal that we will be less direct this season.  That's someone we're going to want to get on the ball as often as possible and we aren't going to do that by launching it all the time.  This is one of the main reasons why I wanted changes in midfield and our game to evolve from last season when we were discussing the things much earlier in this thread.

I would have thought Woody returning was less about Downing and more about Baptiste being injured? I would think Karanka may have had a word with him and asked him to reconsider?

The Bamford stuff is interesting. You'd have to assume if it's true then Chelsea must have had some kind of re-think about it as I'd be fairly certain that their intention was to have him playing somewhere in the Premier League this season or in a top division somewhere in Europe. I wonder if the options were not as good they'd hoped that they'd be.

I honestly think he will end up in the bundesliga or at vitesse maybe, strong enough interest doesn't really seem to be there from the premier League at the moment. Mind people are still shaping their teams, mind come down to the end of the window.

Maybe I just don't want to believe he is coming back... I can't handle the disappointment if it didn't happen,I'm not an emotional Rollercoaster kind of guy. At the pub last night my uncle mentioned Given and I almost rampaged! Obviously would love him back but I wouldn't give us more than a 25% chance at the moment with what we've heard publically

Ayala and Gibson will inevitably hoof it upto him, he'll lose it, back to square one.  It's why we got battered at the end of the season and ended up losing out on promotion. I'm happy to have him with us don't get me wrong, but I want someone in the Murphy-esque mould who can dominate a defence through sheer physicality to play alongside him.

Whilst I understand what you're saying and agree to a certain extent, I think signing Downing is a clear signal that we will be less direct this season.  That's someone we're going to want to get on the ball as often as possible and we aren't going to do that by launching it all the time.  This is one of the main reasons why I wanted changes in midfield and our game to evolve from last season when we were discussing the things much earlier in this thread.

It's a fair point, actually. If we do start playing it through Downing, out wide to the pace of Adomah and Carayol, then I can see Bamford being a pretty effective finisher in the middle. I suppose it's right to say that Bamford was stifled by our lack of creativity in the final third. I'd love for Karanka to just take the shackles off the lads next year, let them give it to the wingers and proper bomb at the full backs, let Downing pull the strings through the middle. Think we've got attackers who are too good to be playing long balls, personally.

Bamford's Chelsea situation is interesting, they clearly rate Brown, Solanke and Traore above him and look to be just trying to boost his value for his upcoming sale. There's a five year deal for him on the table which he appears in no rush to sign (probably knowing a payrise can limit his loan options). Stoke rejected the opportunity to sign him and it seems as if Moses is the preferred choice for lower prem teams.

I see three real options for him with a fourth I'd like

A move abroad probably France

A move to villa after they sell Benteke

A move to Sheff Wed

I like him back. I don't think you can hold the play off final against him he simply shouldn't have played. If he'd started the season for us (up front) I think we could have got automatically promoted.

As I've said before I would much rather try and tempt Chelsea with a £5m offer for Bamford than pay that for Murphy.

It's a fair point, actually. If we do start playing it through Downing, out wide to the pace of Adomah and Carayol, then I can see Bamford being a pretty effective finisher in the middle. I suppose it's right to say that Bamford was stifled by our lack of creativity in the final third. I'd love for Karanka to just take the shackles off the lads next year, let them give it to the wingers and proper bomb at the full backs, let Downing pull the strings through the middle. Think we've got attackers who are too good to be playing long balls, personally.

----------Bamford----------

Carayol--Downing--Adomah

*creams*

Carayol--Downing--Adomah

*creams*

I think both Tomlin and Stuani are ahead of Carayol for that place on the left, but if Carayol is fully fit and back to his best he certainly has something to offer. I really hope we get the tactics right and start banging in a few more goals.

Bamford's Chelsea situation is interesting, they clearly rate Brown, Solanke and Traore above him and look to be just trying to boost his value for his upcoming sale. There's a five year deal for him on the table which he appears in no rush to sign (probably knowing a payrise can limit his loan options). Stoke rejected the opportunity to sign him and it seems as if Moses is the preferred choice for lower prem teams.

I see three real options for him with a fourth I'd like

A move abroad probably France

A move to villa after they sell Benteke

A move to Sheff Wed

I like him back. I don't think you can hold the play off final against him he simply shouldn't have played. If he'd started the season for us (up front) I think we could have got automatically promoted.

As I've said before I would much rather try and tempt Chelsea with a £5m offer for Bamford than pay that for Murphy.

Mark Hughes was saying 2 days ago also that he was told he wasn't getting Moses back from Chelsea because they wanted him there, which may suggest Moses is above Bamford too. They have so many players contracted to that club!

Carayol--Downing--Adomah

*creams*

I think both Tomlin and Stuani are ahead of Carayol for that place on the left, but if Carayol is fully fit and back to his best he certainly has something to offer. I really hope we get the tactics right and start banging in a few more goals.

I thought Stuani was more a right winger? Carayol on-form though..