• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Has anyone read the latest Secret Footballer piece?

http://www.thesecretfootballer.com/articles/the-secret-footballer/27119/tottenham-hotspur-should-have-got-rid-off-younes-kaboul-years-ago/

"Stewart Downing has rejoined hometown club Middlesbrough on a four-year deal, stepping down a division from Premier League side West Ham United. The 30-year-old completed a deal worth £5.5 million that could rise to £7 million if Boro are promoted from the Championship.

A perfect example that the door is never shut to Boro’s academy kids with chairman Steve Gibson in charge.

The club places a huge amount of stock in its academy and is always happy to welcome back its own successes such as Jonathan Woodgate and Downing.

I know one player who is in constant contact with Gibson, having come through the Boro academy, and when the time is right, he has the chairman’s promise that he will return.

This deal is also a sign that Gibson has replaced the previous five-year plan of £10,000-a-week wages and free transfers with something more akin to what people expect of Boro under Gibson, who in the past have been pretty liberal with the cash.

I think the club are making moves towards the Premier League again."

Assuming he's not spouting crap, who do we think the player is?

James Morrison? Doubt it would be Graham, Johnson or Brunt. Wheater is doubtful with him being quite poor nowadays.

The secret footballer is Dave Kitson isn't it?

Also, quick heads up, Nixon says he has a story on the Rhodes deal, probably will be in the paper tomorrow if it isn't leaked today.

This is a bit cryptic:

@Roversfan4ever: @reluctantnicko @Callum50817298 ok thanks. Just a thought. Is tomoz tale good news for Rovers?

@reluctantnicko: @Roversfan4ever @Callum50817298 Hard to answer that

I'm taking that as that Blackburn are getting a greater fee upfront. Surely a collapsed deal isn't great for them

Also, quick heads up, Nixon says he has a story on the Rhodes deal, probably will be in the paper tomorrow if it isn't leaked today.

This is a bit cryptic:

@Roversfan4ever: @reluctantnicko @Callum50817298 ok thanks. Just a thought. Is tomoz tale good news for Rovers?

I'm taking that as that Blackburn are getting a greater fee upfront. Surely a collapsed deal isn't great for them

Keeping Rhodes could be good for them.. :)

http://www.thesecretfootballer.com/articles/the-secret-footballer/27119/tottenham-hotspur-should-have-got-rid-off-younes-kaboul-years-ago/

"Stewart Downing has rejoined hometown club Middlesbrough on a four-year deal, stepping down a division from Premier League side West Ham United. The 30-year-old completed a deal worth £5.5 million that could rise to £7 million if Boro are promoted from the Championship.

A perfect example that the door is never shut to Boro’s academy kids with chairman Steve Gibson in charge.

The club places a huge amount of stock in its academy and is always happy to welcome back its own successes such as Jonathan Woodgate and Downing.

I know one player who is in constant contact with Gibson, having come through the Boro academy, and when the time is right, he has the chairman’s promise that he will return.

This deal is also a sign that Gibson has replaced the previous five-year plan of £10,000-a-week wages and free transfers with something more akin to what people expect of Boro under Gibson, who in the past have been pretty liberal with the cash.

Was Woody in our Academy? If so, when did he leave?

I'm think it's that we are making a final bid for Rhodes take it or leave it, which would be good for Blackburn money wise but not so good the fact they are losing a player. One other suggestion would be that we are not willing to go any higher, so they keep Rhodes which is a good thing but he will refuse to play and even if he does they will know he doesn't want to be there.

This is a bit cryptic:

Keeping Rhodes could be good for them.. :)

Could be anything... If its anything in terms of the deal getting closer could the Gazette release something tonight to get it out there first.

Was Woody in our Academy? If so, when did he leave?

Not to my knowledge. He had offers from a few different clubs. I remember going with him to see the headmaster so he could ask permission for time off school for a trial. I want to say it was Chelsea but it was likely Leeds.

I think the Watford comments about him being spineless are unfounded as he played last season with a broken nose?

He also played a lot of games in the championship, I think he'll be a good acquisition.

Also he made 492 passes with a 88.8% accuracy, that is not to be sniffed at.

We are in the championship you know guys. I think that is a great stat for the championship where all players are running at you trying to take the ball of you as soon as you touch it, that tells me he has nice neat control and obviously can pick out a pass. It does put more question marks over Tonlin I guess.

I think we've made some good signings and I think / hope we will make some more.

It shouldn't do. Tomlin got 10 goals and 11 assists last season, Fabbrini has gotten 10 goals and 8 assists in his entire career so far (164 games played).

It depends what type of Rovers fan you are.

Good could mean: they aren't getting rid of Rhodes so get to keep a good goal scorer in the Championship.

Good could mean: they are getting rid of Rhodes for more money that initially. The haggling has worked and they have got more money for a prized asset.

Whilst it's frustrating, we would do the same in their position. They don't want to seem like they accept the first bid from Boro else they loose their reputation as hard negotiators. But accept a second offer which is too good to turn down.

Which for their fans would come across as 'at least we tried'.

Its obvious now that JR as always been the No1 striker target. The bean counters must have anticipated the potential problems of dealing with chicken farmers. They must have sensibly already shown an interest and made enquiries about another option if it doesn't come off. I hope its not another Juan Foreigner, we can't afford a season of acclimatisation, A la Kike.