oneBoro Forum

Transfer Window - Summer 2015

Really...two england internationals an italian international etc etc.    you really had high expectations didnt you

Who did you realistically want, in that case?

So who could we have signed to not make this window a disappointment?

I think first of all you have to look at what we've actually signed.  Ten players of which maybe three are first choice, possibly four?  

You can't question the Downing signing, I think he should be head and shoulders above the rest of the division in terms of ability.  Whether he'll be the most effective player in the Championship is something I kinda doubt actually especially playing for us.  But he doesn't need to be the most effective in the league, just effective enough to help get us promoted!  He improves us without question though.  Stuani hasn't impressed me so far, a few goals against lower league teams means nothing to me.  The goal at Sheff Wed came as a result of them throwing everyone forward.  His one start in the league he offered absolutely nothing and he doesn't look to me to be an especially creative player if he ends up on the right hand side for us. So all those moaning about Adomah could end up disappointed in that sense. Should hopefully offer a goal threat though but then the emphasis is on a few other players to do all of the creative work and I wonder if that limits us?  Fabbrini will be a bit hit and miss in my opinion and he's only had one good game so far (Bolton) but people are already getting carried away.  When he's good I think he'll be really good but whether that's as often as we'd like remains to be seen.  Nugent wouldn't have been my choice and I think there were better out there but he should score some goals and he's the type to get involved so I have no major issue with signing him, he just wouldn't have been my preference. I also question how all of these are going to fit together and so far we haven't really seen that because the only time Nugent and Stuani started together we were actually pretty poor and of course Downing started that game and Fabbrini came on at half time.

The defensive buys don't improve us with the exception of Kalas who we had here last season. Amorebieta is just a player I don't rate as I said last season.  When I judge players I always think about whether I'd like to seem them playing 20/25/30 games over the season and other than Kalas I don't see that in any of them so we need to hope we don't get injuries or it could be a problem.

I'd have loved to see us sign a midfielder because I think that when we are poor/ineffective, this is where it stems from. I don't know what this De Pena guy is like but we don't seem to have added pace.  I can live with that if you're making yourself a better footballing side but as we seem to like counter attacking then maybe it would be useful.  Not every team will be as accommodating as Sheff Wed were on the weekend just throwing everyone forward and I wonder how well we will break teams down if we have say Stuani on the right, Downing on the left and Fabbrini in the middle.  That's basically only two creative players in the whole side and no pace to simply go past people.  

I don't know, I was hoping for more though, not necessarily in terms of individuals but maybe in terms of direction.  Don't know if that makes sense but well it does to me.

• Replies 23.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone want to try find out who this big signing was going to be that gibbo's daughter and other sources mentioned, they should not mind spilling the beans now it has not happened, be interesting to find out who and why the deal did not happen.

I honestly doubt there was one.

I very much doubt there was one too.. Especially when it was supposed to be a big signing, A player like that wouldn't be sitting about waiting until Adomah got sold...

I'm not having a go at KM because I don't think he would go out he's way yo look silly but I do think someone somewhere was talking BS.

Really...two england internationals an italian international etc etc.    you really had high expectations didnt you

I think first of all you have to look at what we've actually signed.  Ten players of which maybe three are first choice, possibly four?  

You can't question the Downing signing, I think he should be head and shoulders above the rest of the division in terms of ability.  Whether he'll be the most effective player in the Championship is something I kinda doubt actually especially playing for us.  But he doesn't need to be the most effective in the league, just effective enough to help get us promoted!  He improves us without question though.  Stuani hasn't impressed me so far, a few goals against lower league teams means nothing to me.  The goal at Sheff Wed came as a result of them throwing everyone forward.  His one start in the league he offered absolutely nothing and he doesn't look to me to be an especially creative player if he ends up on the right hand side for us. So all those moaning about Adomah could end up disappointed in that sense. Should hopefully offer a goal threat though but then the emphasis is on a few other players to do all of the creative work and I wonder if that limits us?  Fabbrini will be a bit hit and miss in my opinion and he's only had one good game so far (Bolton) but people are already getting carried away.  When he's good I think he'll be really good but whether that's as often as we'd like remains to be seen.  Nugent wouldn't have been my choice and I think there were better out there but he should score some goals and he's the type to get involved so I have no major issue with signing him, he just wouldn't have been my preference. I also question how all of these are going to fit together and so far we haven't really seen that because the only time Nugent and Stuani started together we were actually pretty poor and of course Downing started that game and Fabbrini came on at half time.

The defensive buys don't improve us with the exception of Kalas who we had here last season. Amorebieta is just a player I don't rate as I said last season.  When I judge players I always think about whether I'd like to seem them playing 20/25/30 games over the season and other than Kalas I don't see that in any of them so we need to hope we don't get injuries or it could be a problem.

I'd have loved to see us sign a midfielder because I think that when we are poor/ineffective, this is where it stems from. I don't know what this De Pena guy is like but we don't seem to have added pace.  I can live with that if you're making yourself a better footballing side but as we seem to like counter attacking then maybe it would be useful.  Not every team will be as accommodating as Sheff Wed were on the weekend just throwing everyone forward and I wonder how well we will break teams down if we have say Stuani on the right, Downing on the left and Fabbrini in the middle.  That's basically only two creative players in the whole side and no pace to simply go past people.  

I don't know, I was hoping for more though, not necessarily in terms of individuals but maybe in terms of direction.  Don't know if that makes sense but well it does to me.

To be fair, this post does have a lot of sense in it. You miserable *** :D

Our squad is better this season in every single way, maybe none of the new strikers are as good as Bamford individually but this season i bet Stuani, Nugent and Fabbrini will get more than Bamford, Vossen and Tomlin did. One thing i will say however is that i hope we always play Downing on the wing, he may of been more effective in the middle for West Ham but going off playing for us this season he's at his best when started on the wing.

The amount of negativity you spout is unbelievable and I'm kinda sick of reading it now. I know you will say "something something something mate. Its a fact" but you know what I mean, and its not just this comment in isolation anyway. Sometimes I wonder why you are so miserable, its time to be happy! Boro are on the up, including last season, for the first time since we got relegated, ride the wave even if your "sensible head" tells you otherwise. If it goes tits up this year or next we might be down here for awhile more so get involved or god help us how you will feel if we get stuck in this mire for the long long term.

This summer has been great for boro. High prices yes but the market is kind of nuts right now with inflated fees. If the team can gell and Aitor manages it well I think we will go up. I firmly believe we have the players capable of it. Yes there are other teams with dangerous players, but depth wise and overall ability I think we are definitely up there as a top squad.

Another oddball response from you. I just hope you don't give me yet another negative rep point as a result as I don't think I could cope  :rolleyes:

I don't really care what you do or don't want to read. I'm comfortable with what I have to say on whatever subject I'm talking about.  If you don't like it then please feel free not to read it but don't reply to me telling me that you don't want to read it as it won't make the slightest bit of difference.    

I think if somebody says that we have players that will be able to beat teams that park the bus and that we've faced that twice and haven't actually scored then it's a relevant point to make.  Whether you like it or not that actually is a fact.  Whether that will be the case over the course of the season none of us know as a fact so all we have are opinions.  We struggled with this aspect of our game at times last season and we have so far this season.  So is it fair to say we may again?

I'm not remotely miserable in any aspect of my life and certainly not when it comes to Boro.  We have no idea whether the summer has been good or not yet though, that will only be seen over time.  

I didn't use the word mate as I know you don't like it.  I imagine you don't get to use it much.

Mr. De Pena will be looking around Yarm over then next couple of days no doubt and hopefully the team has a couple of weeks to gel....I'm confident that if we can shut up shop in defence as we did so well last season then we now have the fire power to turn what would have been draws in to wins.

I wish AK had thought about all of these things......

The amount of negativity you spout is unbelievable and I'm kinda sick of reading it now. I know you will say "something something something mate. Its a fact" but you know what I mean, and its not just this comment in isolation anyway. Sometimes I wonder why you are so miserable, its time to be happy! Boro are on the up, including last season, for the first time since we got relegated, ride the wave even if your "sensible head" tells you otherwise. If it goes tits up this year or next we might be down here for awhile more so get involved or god help us how you will feel if we get stuck in this mire for the long long term.

This summer has been great for boro. High prices yes but the market is kind of nuts right now with inflated fees. If the team can gell and Aitor manages it well I think we will go up. I firmly believe we have the players capable of it. Yes there are other teams with dangerous players, but depth wise and overall ability I think we are definitely up there as a top squad.

Another oddball response from you. I just hope you don't give me yet another negative rep point as a result as I don't think I could cope  :rolleyes:

I don't really care what you do or don't want to read. I'm comfortable with what I have to say on whatever subject I'm talking about.  If you don't like it then please feel free not to read it but don't reply to me telling me that you don't want to read it as it won't make the slightest bit of difference.    

I think if somebody says that we have players that will be able to beat teams that park the bus and that we've faced that twice and haven't actually scored then it's a relevant point to make.  Whether you like it or not that actually is a fact.  Whether that will be the case over the course of the season none of us know as a fact so all we have are opinions.  We struggled with this aspect of our game at times last season and we have so far this season.  So is it fair to say we may again?

I'm not remotely miserable in any aspect of my life and certainly not when it comes to Boro.  We have no idea whether the summer has been good or not yet though, that will only be seen over time.  

I didn't use the word mate as I know you don't like it.  I imagine you don't get to use it much.

[video=youtube]

CT agree with your assessment there. stuani will be rubbish at right wing, even though he'll probably put a few chances away. fabbrini is creative but very poor choices in the final third will always hold him back. hes not suddenly going to be a different player at boro. however with our lack of creativity in other positions someone like him trying stuff all the time is needed. downing will create he always does. Nugent is the interesting one for me, he always seems to get a few assists and got a couple for us already. i think he could end up playing behind stuani. stuani will be far better in the box at cf. we have the tools to be a really effective attacking side.

get balls into stuani in the box and he'll score, its not complicated. simple football rules. this new lad de pena will probs be coming off the bench for a few months, hopefully he is up to it. i the mean time keep tight play stuani and nugent together and downing and reach/fabbrini feeding them.

I wish AK had thought about all of these things......

CT has concerns and makes some valid points. Nothing wrong with that. You could make that sarcy reply to nearly every post on this forum. If that's the attitude you are going to adopt, might as well not read 90% of the posts.